Paramount and Dreamworks Animation Side with HD DVD

jinjuku

jinjuku

Which article? Link please. I may have already read it (about the hybrid dvd/ hd-dvd) disks costing more than a Blu-Ray only disk...

jinjuku

jinjuku

Yes, I read that article. I am not sure why it is being referenced here though.

I was just posting a tid-bit...

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I think it is because we are discussing the same article you posted in the thread there too...

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
At this point I really don't care which format wins, I just want a clear winner. It would be nice to invest in a player that I know won't be supporting an obsoltete format in a year.

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Tag! You're it! Paramount and DreamWorks Animation have each declared exclusive Support for HD DVD in a wonderful example of how to extend a format war to its absolute limits. From a business standpoint I'm not certain I understand the business model at all - being that I feel it is inherently flawed from the onset. I suppose if all studios picked the same format to win - then there wouldn't be a format war... At this point it's almost infuriating when studios now refuse to either jump all on one format, or decide to produce for both formats.

Discuss "Paramount and Dreamworks Animation Side with HD DVD" here. Read the article.

B

Bobber

Enthusiast
Looks like Paramount and Dream Works will loose some business for movies, mine for now thats sure!! I had hoped Blu-Ray was starting to pull away, and I could buy a player, but its to early to make a prediction like that. I agree that this may be a bad business move for Paramount and DW, unless all of the movie houses move to the same format en mass (not likely to happen!!).
I like the extra space in Blu-Ray but will end up where all the movies are or buy a Dual player...looks like I just delay my purchase till the dust settles a bit more. I hope things do not end up like the DVD Audio verses Super Audio CD battle..now an almost dead pair of formats...to bad, it took to long for a dual format player that used HDMI to come out. Now Yamaha has a player for that and I have lost interest...Sigh

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Wait does this mean that Transformers will be HD-DVD only?

lifamily

lifamily

Enthusiast
Fool me once, not twice

Spending over $5K on updating my electronics for the once incredible sounding DVD-A/SACD formats, that I truly felt were going to take off, but instead watch them die a quick death. I refuse to spend my hard earned money on either format until one of them prevails 100%. For now, I'm quite satisfied with the standard dvd.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Spending over $5K on updating my electronics for the once incredible sounding DVD-A/SACD formats, that I truly felt were going to take off, but instead watch them die a quick death. I refuse to spend my hard earned money on either format until one of them prevails 100%. For now, I'm quite satisfied with the standard dvd.
Not to worry, DVD is not dying quickly but, its end, like VHS is visible in our galaxy:D

G

gtaylor0

Enthusiast
Not mentioned here is that Paramount is committing to 18 months of HD-DVD production, hedging their bets some.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Not mentioned here is that Paramount is committing to 18 months of HD-DVD production, hedging their bets some.
This is the first time that I have heard that there is an 18 month contract in place. It seems very unusual that Paramount would make any decision of this nature unless there was a good deal of money involved for this switch considering the current state of HD DVD vs. Blu-ray disc sales.

I have heard rumors that Universal's contract for exclusivity ends after this holiday season and unless they renew, they are very likely going to end up neutral.

I really feel strongly that when it comes to Microsoft being involved they are not at all doing anything for the customers best interest, but to help facilitate adoption of HDDL services. That is HD downloads. The longer the market stays confused about HD optical discs, the more time they have to push their own agenda.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Even though this is a good thing for hddvd I still think that bluray is going to win out in the end. Reason for this is because I just joined netflix because of my new ps3 and from all of the movies I was adding to the queue, 9 out of the 10 that had high def versions were all in bluray. Granted a lot of them had both versions but there were a lot that were bluray only, a lot more than hddvd only.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
Not to worry, DVD is not dying quickly but, its end, like VHS is visible in our galaxy:D
Yeah, but decent DVD players are $50. If BR and HD-DVD players were affordable, I'd buy both and be done with it. When it costs almost $1k to get both, I am going to wait for awhile.

I think DVD's look fine as well, but if I watch much more Discovery HD or Mojo, I'm gonna get addicted and have to buy BR and/or HD-DVD:eek:

Pat

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Well Michael Bay, the Transformers guy, isn't so happy about Paramounts HD DVD choice... I think this is freaking hilarious!

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Paramount/Michael_Bay/Bay_to_Paramount:_No_Blu-ray,_No_Transformers_2!/881
lol that is pretty funny. Can he say screw the agreement and release the movie on blu-ray anyway seeing as he is the director and producer?

The thing that gets to me is if you look at the highest grossing movies this year: Spider-Man 3, Pirates 3, Shrek 3, Die Hard 4, Fantastic Four 2, Ratatouille, Bourne Ultimatum, Transformers; 3 will be hd-dvd only (Shrek 3, Bourne Ultimatum, Transformers; with the rest all being blu-ray only (Fox is blu-ray only right?) That doesn't look so good for hd-dvd sales at the end of the year.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis