DVDO VP50 Pro Gets THX Treatment

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Anchor Bay announced that its new DVDO iScan VP50 PRO video processor now comes with THX certification. This revised processor will also feature HDMI 1.3 chips with support for high definition audio formats such as Dolby TrueHD and dts-HD Master audio as well as 12-bit Deep Color. The processor will convert any incoming analogue or digital signals to a maximum 1080p resolution output via HDMI.

Discuss "DVDO VP50 Pro Gets THX Treatment" here. Read the article.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I've been questioning whether I have a need for such a product as this, but I don't know if it will solve my problem. I know very little about video signal handling and what effect this might have in my system.

Here's what I need a product to fix. My SD Cable channels look awful. I guess this is a common complaint on HD displays, but I haven't found any information on how to fix it. My cable company can't, even after several service visits and new lines run to my home. My SD images look like they are composed of ~1" squares, each with a portion of the image but don't quite line up quite right to produce a seamless image.

I'd like to know whether a better video processor with better scaling/deinterlacing would fix the SD image that is sent from the cable box. Would a dedicated video processor like this help or would a Reon HQV equipped receiver/pre-pro suffice? Is there a cure for poor SD images on HD displays?

This box in particular handles SD very well. It is one of the few processors I know of that can deinterlace and re-interlace a signal to fix errors. This is very common in cableTV and satellite programming. It will not, however invigorate poor resolution or fix bad macroblocking found in heavily compressed channels.

Right now (in my opinion) the PRIMARY "need" for video processing is for constant height screens and cinemascope aspect ratios. They do more than that, but so many products are coming out with decent integrated processing so as to make a dedicated unit difficult to justify (for those on a budget).

J

jhanley

Junior Audioholic
I've been questioning whether I have a need for such a product as this, but I don't know if it will solve my problem. I know very little about video signal handling and what effect this might have in my system.

Here's what I need a product to fix. My SD Cable channels look awful. I guess this is a common complaint on HD displays, but I haven't found any information on how to fix it. My cable company can't, even after several service visits and new lines run to my home. My SD images look like they are composed of ~1" squares, each with a portion of the image but don't quite line up quite right to produce a seamless image.

I'd like to know whether a better video processor with better scaling/deinterlacing would fix the SD image that is sent from the cable box. Would a dedicated video processor like this help or would a Reon HQV equipped receiver/pre-pro suffice? Is there a cure for poor SD images on HD displays?
For what it's worth...
I also had a problem with SD channels on my HD/LCD set.
Once I switched to Verizon/FIOS thedifference was
like night and day. Now my SD channels are
200% better,clearer with much improved color.
I guess a with the bigger pipe less compression is needed.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the replies. I guess what I am experiencing is macroblocking? Am I to understand that there really isn't a fix for this, short of changing providers? Fios is not an option. Sorry for the semi-hijack, but I've looked at the DVDO website for info before, but really had no idea whether the products could help.

This problem has rendered some of my favorite channels nearly unwatchable, including Space, Speed and Military.

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
So, how much does the unit cost? Please tell me it’s under £500.00 pounds.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis