Onkyo Chooses HD DVD

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
ONKYO USA has announced the launch of its first HD-DVD player, the DV-HD805. This player has been introduced to realize the potential of high-definition HD DVD content. It is also one of the first HD DVD players to take advantage of high-bit-rate audio streaming via HDMI version 1.3a. The DV-HD805 will be available for $899 in the fall of 2007.

Discuss "Onkyo Chooses HD DVD" here. Read the article.

tn001d

tn001d

Senior Audioholic
Just when u think blu-ray has one...lol At least its a silver unit.. it will match my other silver equipment

E

Electone

Audioholic
Gee, according to Sony and all their cronies (including The Digital Bits), HD DVD is already dead... ;)

W

westcott

Audioholic General
onkyo is really swinging hard in 2007.
They sure are!!! It is nice to see a company take the initiave to bring out the latest and greatest at a fair price!

It looks like we will be living with two HD formats for some time to come so start saving up for a larger AV rack because things look like they are going to start getting crowded.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
It sure makes that Samsung dual format player that is coming out look better and better.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
It looks like we will be living with two HD formats for some time to come so start saving up for a larger AV rack because things look like they are going to start getting crowded.
Agreed there. It's a royal pain needing 3 players for optical media. It's also tough to explain to the wife..."No honey, the Blu-ray goes in the PS3, HD-DVD's go in the X-box's EXTERNAL HD-DVD Drive, SACD's and DVD-A's go in the Oppo". Sheesh! :eek:

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Hd-dvd

Wow, this makes the new BluRay players look cheap. If you bough a high end Onkyo receiver with the Reon video scaling, why would you need that feature on a DVD player, especially one that will play native HD material.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
Agreed there. It's a royal pain needing 3 players for optical media. It's also tough to explain to the wife..."No honey, the Blu-ray goes in the PS3, HD-DVD's go in the X-box's EXTERNAL HD-DVD Drive, SACD's and DVD-A's go in the Oppo". Sheesh! :eek:
Really nice equipment list you got there obscbyclouds!!!

I have really been putting off getting an HD player for exactly the reasons you have just mentioned above but it is getting harder and harder to resist. Prices keep falling and the performance gets better and better. Don't be surprised if you see my signature change over the coming months because I just may not be able to hold out any longer. I was hoping Denon would come out with a universal player, or at least one with SACD and DVD Audio support, as well. Not in the cards so the wife will just have to get up to speed if she wants to play with the big boys. (I kid here. She really is very good at gettting things to work and she loves the Harmony remotes!)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
NO ONKYO, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?:confused:

Onkyo was running head first and then they chose the losing format, it is a sad sad day.:(

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Where is Onkyo sold... Best Buy?

Nope...

How about Circuit City?

Yep!

What format did CC support in our most recent video format war?

DivX.

Hmmm, kind of makes one wonder why fools continue to exist.

Onkyo I think is a good company, but I am hearing various rumors that the Onkyo is another HD DVD player that is fully manufactured by Toshiba and is just getting the Onkyo badge. In fact, as the A35 (Toshiba) is released at about $500 the XA2 may disappear and the Onkyo may be the replacement.

It apparently is spec-for-spec identical to the XA2 but adds DTS-MA support, which is a logical upgrade.

I don't see Onkyo supporting this for very long unless it is a 100% Toshiba product which they are getting paid to put their name onto.

Heck, I've got a company! If HD DVD wants to use my company name to help promote their product at zero risk to me, I'm okay with that. Don't think it'll help their format though.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Where is Onkyo sold... Best Buy?

Nope...

How about Circuit City?

Yep!

What format did CC support in our most recent video format war?

DivX.

Hmmm, kind of makes one wonder why fools continue to exist.

Onkyo I think is a good company, but I am hearing various rumors that the Onkyo is another HD DVD player that is fully manufactured by Toshiba and is just getting the Onkyo badge. In fact, as the A35 (Toshiba) is released at about $500 the XA2 may disappear and the Onkyo may be the replacement.

It apparently is spec-for-spec identical to the XA2 but adds DTS-MA support, which is a logical upgrade.

I don't see Onkyo supporting this for very long unless it is a 100% Toshiba product which they are getting paid to put their name onto.

Heck, I've got a company! If HD DVD wants to use my company name to help promote their product at zero risk to me, I'm okay with that. Don't think it'll help their format though.
With that I change my mind about Onkyo mis-stepping, this is actually a smart move if this is true. Onkyo doesn't have high production costs (they are making a standard face plate which may be transferable to something else in the future if need be, but I would guess that would be pretty unlikely they would do that). I would imagine they made some kind of contract with Toshiba, let's hope it is a short one.:)

CIRCUIT CITY IS AWESOME, JUST LIKE ALL CAPS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
This is your opinion only of course!
Yes it is my opinion.

But looking at the factors weighing against HD DVD succeeding made this seem like a silly move. But if Onkyo stands to only profit or break near even it isn't a complete waste of time for them on the off chance that HD DVD succeeds.:)

B

billnchristy

Senior Audioholic
I think you are totally disregarding the power of the cheap.

Im not saying which will win or lose but when walmart starts selling cheap HD players by the boatload....

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Gee, according to Sony and all their cronies (including The Digital Bits), HD DVD is already dead... ;)
Yes, but, these are the zombies come to life to live a long afterlife:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Wow, this makes the new BluRay players look cheap. If you bough a high end Onkyo receiver with the Reon video scaling, why would you need that feature on a DVD player, especially one that will play native HD material.
Probably because not all of these players will be matched up with their receivers?

N

ned

Full Audioholic
Yes it is my opinion.

But looking at the factors weighing against HD DVD succeeding made this seem like a silly move. But if Onkyo stands to only profit or break near even it isn't a complete waste of time for them on the off chance that HD DVD succeeds.:)
Again, this is pure speculation. Please provide links to your post.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Links, Seth=L, provide the LINKS! Quit stalling. If your gonna give an opinion, you better be able to provide links to it. :rolleyes:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis