Blockbuster Buys MovieLink Download Service

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
For a while now, Netflix has boasted as being the only DVD-by-mail service that also enables live viewing of movies online through its website. Now Blockbuster seems to be getting into the game by purchasing Movielink, a digital movie download service that allows users to rent downloadable movies to their PCs. Current pricing starts at just $0.99/movie and more current releases are priced around $4.99 for a 24-hour rental (movies are stored for up to 30 days and the 24-hour viewing period starts upon play). The Netflix system doesn't currently cost its users anything, however only older movies are included in the line-up. It will be interesting to see how Blockbuster uses this new technology which supports both rental and "owned" downloads. Perhaps new movies will still incur additional fees while older movies may be released as rentals at no charge.

Discuss "Blockbuster Buys MovieLink Download Service" here. Read the article.

birdonthebeach

birdonthebeach

Full Audioholic
But the real question is, will it work on Macs?

:)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Interesting....and not surprising at all. Downloads will definitely be the way of the future for rentals. Not sure about sales though.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
I have yet to hear from someone who likes the download service. I hear complaints of taking too long, broken links, corrupted downloads and poor video quality.

It may get better and some may not care about quality video, but reliability still seems to be a necessary function.

Any input?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I think the future is not in streaming downloads, but in properly managed download services that have interactive functionality with TVs and A/V receivers.

Downloads that you put in your queue, as you do with BB Online, but then are downloaded to your PC. Maybe 3 or 5 movies are downloaded, and you return them when you are done with a mouse click, or an option on your TV screen. The movies can be HD or SD, but can be chosen by users for what their display supports.

If you pay for unlimited rentals, 3 out at a time, every month, then you will have 3 available to you at all times. It may be 12 or 24 hours for a rental to download to your PC, or whatever is storing the movies (receiver? TV?) but then it will be available until you return it. Stop with the stupid 24 horus from first watch to 'delete' of movies! Let me decide when I'm done viewing it.

Things that are really cool is that new movie releases could download to your video servier a week before they are 'officially' released, then on the date of release - at midnight, the movie beomes avaialble for playback.

No sold out titles, no waiting days for a movie to arrive, no scratched discs. It also adds the capability that even those with slower internet connections can take part. It may take longer for them to get the downloads, but when they get them, the full movie will be available to them - not streamed with the headaches that accompany streaming.

I could totally see that as the future - and it's several years away at least.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
unless the download would have full 5.1 or 6.1 audio tracks, I really wouldn't want it... I mean sure it would be nice to have if you are say at a hotel room and only have your laptop, but for those of us with nice media PC's, what's the point?

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
Netflix has had a selection of movies & TV shows you can watch online for some time now, and they've even reduced their prices. I have yet to watch one online, but if the trailer quality is any indication......the image quality must be horrible.

They must be feeling the pressure of the "Red Boxes" you see popping up all over the place offering $1 rentals?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis