Ask AVRant #4: What does OCD stand for again?

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Because of unforeseen problems (i.e. it’s Dina’s fault) the regularly scheduled podcast will be delayed. Instead, we’ll be bringing you an episode of Ask AVRant. Eric wants to know about chipsets, John wants to know about cable management, and J wants to brag about his iPhone. Want to know what Gene DellaSala (President of Audioholics) sounds like? He makes a guest appearance to answer Eric’s question. What’s the title about? Listen in to find out! Listen to the Podcast.

Visit AVRant

Help AVRant grow - DON'T forget to vote for us on podcastalley.com!

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
Gonna be delayed?!

I need my thursday fix!

On another note... OCD.. That is me in such a bad way. I have probably 100 zip ties holding everything neatly behind my rack with minimal wires showing. If I put a new peice of gear in- Yup, The whole rack comes apart, Everything get wiped down so there is no dust, Then i spend a good hour or two hooking it all back up and organizing it. I buy zip ties in packs of 1000. You really dont have to worry about cutting wires if you have the right kind of scissors to cut them. Standard scissors arent really strong enough. And razors.. Yikes!

And that doesnt include the fact that I will vacuume my gear once a week, Also go over everything with a microfiber cloth to pick up any remaning dust, fingerprints etc.

Oh, and when im putting my gear in the rack everything is centered on the shelves just the way I want them exactly, I will actually get out a tape measure and place everything exactly the same with 1/16th or less tolerances. Including the speakers.

And when i am done using one of my remotes I will put it back in its specific spot next to the others, lined up perfectly in a row. Dusty gear and cable's all over the place is my worst nightmare. I seriously dont know how some people can live with their system being like that. I cant, And I think it shows. :)

Last edited:
B

Bloodstriker

Full Audioholic
Gonna be delayed?!

I need my thursday fix!

On another note... OCD.. That is me in such a bad way. I have probably 100 zip ties holding everything neatly behind my rack with minimal wires showing. If I put a new peice of gear in- Yup, The whole rack comes apart, Everything get wiped down so there is no dust, Then i spend a good hour or two hooking it all back up and organizing it. I buy zip ties in packs of 1000. You really dont have to worry about cutting wires if you have the right kind of scissors to cut them. Standard scissors arent really strong enough. And razors.. Yikes!

And that doesnt include the fact that I will vacuume my gear once a week, Also go over everything with a microfiber cloth to pick up any remaning dust, fingerprints etc.

Oh, and when im putting my gear in the rack everything is centered on the shelves just the way I want them exactly, I will actually get out a tape measure and place everything exactly the same with 1/16th or less tolerances. Including the speakers.

And when i am done using one of my remotes I will put it back in its specific spot next to the others, lined up perfectly in a row. Dusty gear and cable's all over the place is my worst nightmare. I seriously dont know how some people can live with their system being like that. I cant, And I think it shows. :)
Sounds like me with my car!

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
To me sounds as if Haoleb and Bloodstriker need to get some order in their lives, just wat too hap-hazzard about things.

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
Gonna be delayed?!

I need my thursday fix!

I had a friend who did the same kind of "work" on his HT and Ham Radio gear. He spent way more time cleaning and arranging it than using it. His wife and kids loved to screw with him by slightly moving it around, and putting his CDs and DVDs out of order. He would stay up until 1 or 2AM messing with it because one of his kids had put a DVD in the wrong spot, or heaven's forbid, smudged the volume knob on the receiver, or not put the remote in it's little holder. They started doing it party because it drove them crazy, and the time he wasted worrying about it kept them from doing all kinds of things, including watching movies when dad had all his stuff apart for the monthly cleaning. A couple of years ago, his dad died (Who was a little bit OCD too), and he got depressed, and when the put him on a low dose of anti-depressants, not only did it get him out of the funk he was in, it also pretty much killed the OCD. He still sort of wants the stuff in alphabetical order, but he doesn't care if his receivers are lined up perfectly any more, or it's slightly dusty, or the remote is in the wrong slot. He is so happy not to "have" to do all that stuff anymore, he can go to bed at 12AM and sleep, without worrying that his Sopranos DVDs are before The Shield ones on his rack. I'm just glad to go over there and not have him hovering over me, waiting to wipe my fingerprints off anything I touched.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis