Polk Audio SurroundBar

R

Roscoe

Enthusiast
Admin Entry: Speakers have made a slow progression from large to small to tiny to invisible. The Polk Audio SurroundBAR is in the latter category. The SurroundBAR is a single (almost) speaker solution that places one speaker up front and simulates the rest of the speakers through digital signal processing. Essentially, it'll have you and your friends wondering how it is that it tricks you into thinking the sound is coming from behind you.

Read the First Look of this loudspeaker here.
- - -
OP: Anybody have one of these? It's like the Yamaha sound bars except it doesn't use wall bounce to create the surround effect but rather destructive interference (or so THEY say).

Anyone have one? Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I don't own one or anything similar but my opinion is that it is a great solution for something like a bedroom or small den type room where it is not desirable or even possible to place a full complement of speakers.

When I get around to adding a TV to the master bedroom I'd consider something like that (assuming the price drops substantially) but for a more 'normal' room like a living room - ixnay on that idea.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I guess I can go into a little more depth here, my opinion is posted in your other thread.

It seems as if this bar uses research in psychoacoustics to create a perceived surround experience. It does this buy using a mixture of speaker phases and timing which causes the sound to hit your ear in differing times and directions. This mix tricks your brain into a perceived surround experience as mentioned above. While sometimes you can get a pretty good experience from these bars they are still not close to having real surrounds in my opinion. I would call these things a last resort if there is the possibility of having a full set up, if not these things are pretty good for getting the job done, but don't expect any sort of critical listening out of them especially in music terms.

R

Roscoe

Enthusiast
I understand, my problem is I don't really want to run all those wires to the opposite corner of the room only to discover the rear speaker locations won't work. Been living here a year and the lack of a solution is killing me!

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Go check out what I said in the thread you deleted. It might surprise you. I haven't had any problems with the location of my surrounds even though they are extremely close to the seating area.

One suggestion is just work with it for a day, don't run the wire just have it laid out across the room while you mess with location and if you find a good one then run the wire if you don't get the box.

C

cfrizz

Senior Audioholic
He is not going to try to sell you on it one way or the other. Since you are so leary, read this thread from people who have actually listened to it or own it.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35221

You are the one asking for info, we are simply pointing you in directions where you can get answers from people who know.

Not a big fan of asking company reps about thier own products. What's he gonna say, it's lousy?

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
How in the world did I mess this recommendation up?
Something odd happened, when you first recommended him it was the Polk reps on the bored. Then later I noticed the link went to soundman...now greg gable...I think something is odd.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Not a big fan of asking company reps about thier own products. What's he gonna say, it's lousy?
dorokusai will give you the pro's and con's of the product. He will give you straight answers so you can make an educated decision.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Huh? I didnt do anything...

Something odd happened, when you first recommended him it was the Polk reps on the bored. Then later I noticed the link went to soundman...now greg gable...I think something is odd.

dorokusai

dorokusai

Full Audioholic
Roscoe - I believe the linked thread has some great pro-con information available for the product. Yes, I'm a company representative but I was an audio nut way before that moniker. My function is in customer service not sales. Do you think every Polk employee owns nothing but Polk speakers? HELL NO! That would be silly :D

Audio is a huge organism and the consumer has so much available to him/her to get segmented into one brand or the other. That's what makes it great....options.

Let me catch up on my admin chores and I'll give you my thoughts on the Surround Bar. It isn't perfect, I know that much.

Cfrizz - Thanks for the link :)

Mark
Polk Audio CS

R

Roscoe

Enthusiast
Roscoe - I believe the linked thread has some great pro-con information available for the product. ...

Let me catch up on my admin chores and I'll give you my thoughts on the Surround Bar. It isn't perfect, I know that much.
I posted a question over there about a 6th speaker (6.1) for rear imaging. Looking forward to your response.

Thanks!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis