Integra DTC-9.8 Three-Zone Preamplifier/Processor Introduced

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Integra has introduced the THX Ultra2 Certified DTC-9.8, an exceptionally versatile audio-video preamplifier / processor designed to meet the complex needs of system integrators and custom installers. This three-zone processor features HDMI v. 1.3a switching, HQV Reon-VX video processing, complete 7.1-channel processing including onboard decoding for lossless and HD audio formats, and an extensive suite of multizone/multisource and system integration control features all at a suggested retail price of just $1,600.

Discuss "Integra DTC-9.8 Three-Zone Preamplifier/Processor Introduced" here. Read the article.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Now that's what I am talking about. I am going to have to put my RXV 2600 up for sale now. Sweet, and balanced too.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
The whole xlr row of inputs would be a waste for me........

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I'm drooling.....

That is a perfect combination for me. The combination of audio/video processing, XLR and the multizone is going to be hard for anyone to beat. And for 1600msrp to start and sure to drop by the time I am ready to buy.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
The whole xlr row of inputs would be a waste for me........
Every piece of equipment with zone 2/3 is a waste for me, as would balanced input/outputs. But the video processing on the Integra, as far as I can see, is only available on processors 2x or 3x the price. [Shatner]I...want one...bad...Don't need it...just want it...must...not...buy...yet...[/Shatner]

W

westcott

Audioholic General
It never ceases to amaze me how much technology can be crammed into a small box and produce some of the best video and audio processing most of us have ever had the pleasure to experience at this price point.

Do you need all these features? Maybe, maybe not, but its there if you do.

Five years ago, we would only have dreamed of such capabilities at this price point. Terranex video chips alone were in the 5 figure range!!!!

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
Onkyo better buy?

Personally I feel that the video processing is the real icing on the cake.

But perhaps more amazing is the Onkyo Receiver TX-SR875 which is essentially this pre/pro with an amplifier section and can be had for the same price. Which is a great option for those who don’t already own external amplification.

B

boe

Audioholic
Just my opinion

Combine the good looks of a Denon and the good innards and price of the Onkyo/Integra and you have the perfect unit for most home enthusiasts who don't make 7 figure incomes.

I think the Integra has some nice internal components. I think it has a fantastic price that will help bring back a lot of people who would prefer separates but don't own controlling shares of a fortune 500 company.

As much as I really think the Integra is a fantastic find - I wish they had gotten rid of the gaudy silver knobs and buttons, hidden some of the inputs with a flap or something. Lastly lose the slanted display - makes this fantastic unit look cheap.

You could get the Onkyo brother of this unit (PR-SC885P http://www.onkyopro.com/model.cfm?m=PR-SC885P&class=Preamplifier&p=i) which addresses the cheap look of the chassis but instead introduces a green display with the slanted font - won't match any other unit in your cabinet.

Aside from the looks that remind me of the units Sears sold in the 80s, these units have a LOT to offer at a very reasonable price - all in all well done. (maybe next year you can hire someone who doesn't live in a trailer home to design the chassis and the display though - otherwise they'll probably just add flames to distinguish next year’s unit).

I'm a big fan of Denon but their choice in components this year is getting me to seriously look at alternatives and this unit is HIGH on my list. I'm hoping Audioholics will consider a shootout comparison of a similarly priced Onkyo to a Denon - I'd like to know for sure which would be a better choice. I expect both to have some advantages in different areas over the other but it would be nice to know which unit excels and where. Frankly I'd like a comparison of this $1600 to the $7000 Denon coming out - I'd like to know if the price difference would be worth it for me to consider.

Last edited:
T

tszhfung

Audiophyte
I too would be very interested in a comparison between one of the Denon receivers as pre-pro vs the DTC-9.8. Based on price point, it would be between 3808/4308 and the 9.8.

Mike

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
That thing is going to be a serious contender when I finally decide to go with an HDMI capable receiver.

TRT

TRT

Junior Audioholic
Pre-ordered two weeks ago in Boca Raton, Fl. No word yet.

A

AndrewLyles

Audioholic
I'm very excited about this. I do agree about the cheesy looks though.

Where do the Video processing capabilities of that particular chip fall in the grand scheme of things?

C

Craze

Audiophyte
Some dumb questions

I am looking for a receiver that can allow for multi HD sources in to be switched to 2 different HD displays and speakers. I have a theatre room and a bedroom and would ideally like to have both fed by a single receiver but allow for seperate viewing of sources and have both connected using HDMI 1.3. Will this receiver or any others that have 2 HDMI outputs do this? Most hgher end receivers boast multi source in but only 1 out. I noticed that the new Denon 4308CI also has 2 out.

Am I just in fantasyland or do I really need to buy a Gefen HDMI switch or resign to using composite/component video in the Zone 2?

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I am looking for a receiver that can allow for multi HD sources in to be switched to 2 different HD displays and speakers. I have a theatre room and a bedroom and would ideally like to have both fed by a single receiver but allow for seperate viewing of sources and have both connected using HDMI 1.3. Will this receiver or any others that have 2 HDMI outputs do this? Most hgher end receivers boast multi source in but only 1 out. I noticed that the new Denon 4308CI also has 2 out.

Am I just in fantasyland or do I really need to buy a Gefen HDMI switch or resign to using composite/component video in the Zone 2?
The computer that I downloaded the manual on is in for warranty service, but from a quick look at Integra's site, it appears you can only get HD video in zone 2 over component (which is still better than most zone 2's).

TRT

TRT

Junior Audioholic

The manual is now posted on Integra's web site.

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
I'm very excited about this. I do agree about the cheesy looks though.

Where do the Video processing capabilities of that particular chip fall in the grand scheme of things?
I'm not a video-processing expert, but this seems to be the breakdown for chips found in consumer grade equipment.

1. Silicon Optix Realta: S-Marts top of the line! Realta will scale to 2560x1600p, can handle less common cadences such as 6:4 and 8:7, and supports noise reduction on HD signals

2. Silicon Optix ReonVX: There is essentially no difference in deinterlace and scaling performance between the ReonVX and Realta. But the: ReonVX is limited to 1920x1080p and only supports noise and block reduction on SD.

3. Faroudja DCDi: a very solid performer, but has been known to cause macro blocking issues when mated to some displays. This problem may not be an issue with the newer chipsets from Genesis, but I haven’t found any information to suggest otherwise.

However, it all comes down to how well the manufacture implements the chipset in their product. Which adds another set of variables to consider besides just the processor that is used in a particular product.

IMO

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
TRT,

When you get yours let us know. I read on your posts in the avs forum that you are also getting a MPS-1. I have an MPS and am very interested in this pre/pro and would like your thoughts on the combo. I am probably going to wait until Emotive puts out their new pre/pro this fall but it will be hard for them to beat the specs on this.

Thanks.

Rex

Rex

Audioholic
TRT,

When you get yours let us know. I read on your posts in the avs forum that you are also getting a MPS-1. I have an MPS and am very interested in this pre/pro and would like your thoughts on the combo. I am probably going to wait until Emotive puts out their new pre/pro this fall but it will be hard for them to beat the specs on this.

Thanks.
TRT,

Just wondering if you had the power switch problems with your Westinghouse? I was thinking of sending mine in to best buy on the warranty(sick of that switch not resetting).

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Rex,

Did you mean me for that question? I have not had the power switch problem I have read about. I'm not sure if that was only a problem with early models or if I just got lucky. How do you like the westy? I have not been greatly impressed with the black levels but adding the A2 player did show me what was possible with the TV.

Rex

Rex

Audioholic
Rex,

Did you mean me for that question? I have not had the power switch problem I have read about. I'm not sure if that was only a problem with early models or if I just got lucky. How do you like the westy? I have not been greatly impressed with the black levels but adding the A2 player did show me what was possible with the TV.
Sorry,
Slight mix up. I like the Westy other than the switch issue. I now need to upgrade my TV because I built a large TV/Family Room which makes the Westy look extremely small in it. I recently saw a 65" Sharp LCD which looked fantastic at Best Buy for the hefty price of $9K. They also had a nice Sony FP but did not look that great probably because of the lighting. I have the Tosh D2, but I never opened it thinking I would return it to get an A20. BluRay is looking pretty good lately in the format wars. Kinda weighing my choices right now on what to buy inthe near future (2 months.)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis