Denon Adds Network Features to AV Products

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Gene and I were flown up to New Jersey to Denon's Summer Conference in order to get a first-hand look at the new products coming to market in the next couple of months. In general, Denon seems bent on making sure that the networked home is the centerpiece of its products. In fact, the entire line has undergone drastic changes to ensure that networking products together and enabling the sending and receiving of audio (and even still image and meta information) is an integral part of Denon's product philosophy.

Discuss "Denon Adds Network Features to AV Products" here. Read the article.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Whole home is the key phrase in that article. Though it hadn't caught on previously, now with the proliferation of MP3 players I think people now both understand and have a use for having a device that is connected to their home network. I have said it a number of times, streamed or downloaded media will likely replace physical media within the next 5 or so years.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Here are some pics of their new separates. Not much info on them yet other than they are uber heavy, expensive and will be shipping sometime in winter. Denon offered me to take the amp and pre/pro home if I could carry them both with 1 arm. I was tempted but didn't want didn't have my work out gloves with me to get a better grip :D

Attachments

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
Forget the work out gloves, what was needed was a hernia belt! Those things are HUGE!

M

misterkit

Enthusiast
I'm thinking that one (or two) of these would make a nice forum contest... so heres my entry =)

That looks like its a picture of the 5xxx model. MONSTER!

Here are some pics of their new separates. Not much info on them yet other than they are uber heavy, expensive and will be shipping sometime in winter. Denon offered me to take the amp and pre/pro home if I could carry them both with 1 arm. I was tempted but didn't want didn't have my work out gloves with me to get a better grip :D

N

ned

Full Audioholic
I didn't see Audessy discussed anywhere, have they dropped it?

W

westcott

Audioholic General
I really like the idea of a USB connection. Glad to see it is finally becoming a reality. Just plug in your portable hard drive with all your lossless recordings and you are in like Flint!!!

I wonder exactly how that interface would work and look like?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
What format is the new GUI output in?

In my 3806 it is 480i which is not supported by the Panasonic Plasma over HDMI. So I never use it since I have a single HDMI going to the monitor for all video.

It would be great if this inconvenience has been rectified.

B

boe

Audioholic
Thanks - I missed those pics!

P

pbarach1

Audioholic
What format is the new GUI output in?

In my 3806 it is 480i which is not supported by the Panasonic Plasma over HDMI. So I never use it since I have a single HDMI going to the monitor for all video.

It would be great if this inconvenience has been rectified.
Yes, but the workaround (if your room setup allows it) is to use a different video connection to the monitor for doing adjustments when you need to see the GUI. You can use component, S-video, or composite--it doesn't really matter.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, but the workaround (if your room setup allows it) is to use a different video connection to the monitor for doing adjustments when you need to see the GUI. You can use component, S-video, or composite--it doesn't really matter.
Exactly, that is what I do with mine also; so I can run the OSD in PIP too.

One thing they mentioned is that several of the top-end receivers do HDMI to HDMI upconversion and scaling and the GUI outputs via HDMI as well (along with on-screen volume, etc).

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Instead of an LCD TV I could put that monster receiver in the wall unit. I wonder just how many of those they sell.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I understand that this workaround exists. Unfortunately, it is not applicable in my setup.
One thing they mentioned is that several of the top-end receivers do HDMI to HDMI upconversion and scaling and the GUI outputs via HDMI as well (along with on-screen volume, etc).
That should do it. I feel a bout of Upgraditis coming on :D

B

boe

Audioholic
There have been a couple of rumors about a low end prepro coming out in addition to their extremely high priced unit - did they show off just the high end one or the other one rumored to be coming out much later this year?

Thanks

R

rushwj

Audioholic
anyone w/ any thoughts on how these would compare as pre-pro's to emotiva pre-pro's that are supposed to come out at the end of the year? sound quality is the main comparison i'm getting at.

vividere

vividere

Junior Audioholic
missing Dolby modes

I got to this forum topic after reading the press release on here regarding the new Denon models. It seems there is a discrepancy between what I read in the release vs. reality. This is what the press release said:

More Custom-Integration Friendly
FeaturesModels AVR-2308CI through the AVR-5308CI include support for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio decoding.
I didn't check the models above the 2308, but it doesn't seem the 2308 has those Dolby modes? I have the 2308 brochure here in front of me and it doesn't list those modes? It only shows:

Dolby Digital EX
Dolby ProLogic IIX

I would think if it has Dolby TrueHD it would be on the spec sheet? Likewise, it doesn't mention DTS-HD either?

I have been debating between the Denon 888 and the Onkyo 705 as they are the same price but the Onkyo has an additional HDMI port, THX Select and the Dolby models that the Denon doesn't seem to have.

Is there an error on the Denon site?

Thanks,

Lew

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis