LED Picks up Pace Against Fluorescents

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
LEDs were a big topic at this year's Consumer Electronics Show, but the reality is that they have not made their way into the AV products we use en masse. All of that seems likely to change due to a couple of tandem announcements by Sony Electronics and Apple Computer. Apple, citing this as an environmentally-friendly move, claims it will be introducing additional Mac laptops with LED backlighting technology this year (2007). Apple has already switched the 15-inch MacBook Pro series to utilize the new LEDs, though they have done a remarkably poor job of promoting this or making it part of their marketing campaigns.

Discuss "LED Picks up Pace Against Fluorescents" here. Read the article.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
We are seriously way behind in implementing LED's through-out many many industries... Im really looking forward to new products being introduced...

for instance, I have a few older 12 and 18" florescent fixtures in my Kitchen and looking at replacing the fixtures with LED, they wanted $150.00 for 1 fixture... When I was on the phone with the people, I said "I can go down to Sam's Club and buy a rechargable LED work light for $20
http://www.amazon.com/26-LED-Rechargeable-Bright-Bar/dp/B000FG0IQU

The prices are a bit out of line right now... until they really start ramping up production of normal everyday items...

Thanks for the informative article...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Someone has developed a LED bulb that goes in existing sockets I believe, but still expensive for the average consumer for now. I have CFs in every socket I can in my home, I have for years, and it does pay off. If LED comes down in price, I would switch to them. They pretty much pay for themselves.

LED backlighting is definitely the next step for LCDs also.

Last edited:
Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
We are seriously way behind in implementing LED's through-out many many industries... Im really looking forward to new products being introduced...

for instance, I have a few older 12 and 18" florescent fixtures in my Kitchen and looking at replacing the fixtures with LED, they wanted $150.00 for 1 fixture... When I was on the phone with the people, I said "I can go down to Sam's Club and buy a rechargable LED work light for $20
http://www.amazon.com/26-LED-Rechargeable-Bright-Bar/dp/B000FG0IQU

The prices are a bit out of line right now... until they really start ramping up production of normal everyday items...

Thanks for the informative article...
Did that price include installation? I ask because $150 to $180 is a pretty standard price range for installing a lighting fixture.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
No that was just for the fixture....

I could imagine that if someone had to come install a light fixture, that could possibly reflect the price being this high.... but that was a price I got off the internet from some company..

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Why are LED lights so expensive? I thought LED's are cheaper to produce to than incandescents and fluorescents.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Why are LED lights so expensive? I thought LED's are cheaper to produce to than incandescents and fluorescents.
That has always been my impression as well. I thought LED's were easily and very cheaply mass produced. :confused:

G

genesis471

Audioholic
That has always been my impression as well. I thought LED's were easily and very cheaply mass produced. :confused:
Same here. They've been around for many many years as well. Maybe it's a technology that has been around for years, but yet has just been discovered, so to speak??

Mike

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
LEDs

Yes, LEDs have been around for decades. The more recent developments include white LEDs (vs. red, green, blue, etc.) and the ability to produce large LEDs that provide enough lumens to replace a traditional incondescent or florescent.

I am interested to see this technology adopted to front projectors. You would never have to worry about changing a bulb. It looks like some new rear projection sets are already using an LED light engine:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HLT5687S-Slim-Engine-1080p/dp/B000N53T0K/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-8621544-9703008?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1185200346&sr=1-1

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
I have a couple of LED flashlights. Some of the high power ones are really bright.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis