Denon AVR-3808CI First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
We were able to get some advance info on the upcoming Denon AVR-3808CI product being released later this month and are now able to show that info to our readers. The primary advances of the new -08 CI series is the addition of HDMI 1.3a and support for 1080p/24 as well as 1080p/60. DVD-Audio and SACD are supported as is 12-bit Deep Color. Both Dolby TrueHD and dts-HD Master Audio support is provided natively through the receiver (no more PCM conversion required from the HD-DVD player). 7.1 channels of PCM 24-bit/192kHz audio is supported as well for any legacy device requirements.

Discuss "Denon AVR-3808CI First Look" here. Read the article.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
No Reon? Gosh I hate the look of these new Denons, they are ugly IMO, and it only weighs 35 pounds.:( Unless it is completely unquirky it really isn't competitive with the Onkyos.

J

jjurroz

Enthusiast
The Onkyo's look very good on paper but the jury is still out on implementation.

On a side note: I only see 3 HDMI inputs and I remember reading somewhere else about the 3808 having 2 parallel HDMI outs (I see those but its hard to make out the labeling).

-Jose

placebo473

placebo473

Enthusiast
Not having Reon is not the end of the world. It's always been the application of the chip(s) and not just it's name. We should all expect good reviews from this model. Measurables, performance, and UI will be top notch.

C

chenyk

Enthusiast
Ya.... finally. I'm also hoping audioholics will has the review publish soon. Any date for the review? :)

Z

zoran

Audioholic
same here!! both dcdi, denon, one hdmi mass!, $500 mass $$$, how compare to onkyo 805

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
IMO, Denon dropped the ball by not adding ALPHA chips on ALL channels, as they did in the past (3805/3806). Now that feature appears only on 4308 onwards...

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
same here!! both dcdi, denon, one hdmi mass!, $500 mass $$$, how compare to onkyo 805
Maybe try using full sentances and words. I don't understand much of this post. What does "mass" stand for?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
IMO, Denon dropped the ball by not adding ALPHA chips on ALL channels, as they did in the past (3805/3806). Now that feature appears only on 4308 onwards...
Oh, did not know that. They also dropped the ball on appearance. These new Denons look like cheesy versions of the Marantz receivers from the 90's, with the rounded top.:(

J

jjurroz

Enthusiast
i'd have to see a side by side comparison. They look the same to me. Which model do you consider to look nice (from denon that is)?

-Jose

Rex

Rex

Audioholic
One thing I want to know is whether Denon has some sort of Zone 2/3 wireless functionality similar to that of the Emotiva RRC-1 wall plate. To me that is a nice function to have in eliminating a lot of wiring.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure I like the look either, but performance is really what matters. They are just trying to differentiate themselves from the look of other manufacturers. Personally, I found the xx07 models to be quite ugly myself.

A

alexsound

Audioholic
We were able to get some advance info on the upcoming Denon AVR-3808CI product being released later this month and are now able to show that info to our readers. The primary advances of the new -08 CI series is the addition of HDMI 1.3a and support for 1080p/24 as well as 1080p/60. DVD-Audio and SACD are supported as is 12-bit Deep Color. Both Dolby TrueHD and dts-HD Master Audio support is provided natively through the receiver (no more PCM conversion required from the HD-DVD player). 7.1 channels of PCM 24-bit/192kHz audio is supported as well for any legacy device requirements.

Discuss "Denon AVR-3808CI First Look" here. Read the article.

I would love to see a head to head with the Onkyo 905 and 875 (when they come out), Sherwood 872 and 972 (when they come out) the new Pioneer VSX-94THX (when it comes out) and both the 2 new Denon's. It would be very interesting indeed.

J

jjurroz

Enthusiast
I would love to see a head to head with the Onkyo 905 and 875 (when they come out), Sherwood 872 and 972 (when they come out) the new Pioneer VSX-94THX (when it comes out) and both the 2 new Denon's. It would be very interesting indeed.

thats like a wet dream aint it? haha

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
j_garcia said:
Not sure I like the look either, but performance is really what matters. They are just trying to differentiate themselves from the look of other manufacturers. Personally, I found the xx07 models to be quite ugly myself.
The XX7 are the cheapest looking from this year. I do think the XX07 series is more appealing than the XX08 though.

jjurroz said:
i'd have to see a side by side comparison. They look the same to me. Which model do you consider to look nice (from denon that is)?
I hope that clears up any confusion about the new XX08 even closely resembling the XX08.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
A

alexsound

Audioholic
thats like a wet dream aint it? haha
Yeah, I guess it would be. It seems like the "high end" of receivers keeps dropping price wise. I know you have a few out there still in the 3-4-5-6...7 grand range (denon 5805 MK-- I don't remember how many upgrades) but, whats becoming available at less that 2 grand, hell, at 1 grand !! (the Onkyo 805) is pretty amazing. Can't wait to see what Yamaha has up their sleeve in the fall/winter. I know they'll have to come out with something to compete against all those other guys.

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
Completely agree, disappointed to see that dropped for all but main L&R channels, kind of a step backwards from the 3806 in that regard. Jury still out on how it will sound of course. No way to know who's receiver (onkyo, denon...) will perform & sound best just by the features page of manufactures websites, too many factors. Looking forward to hearing it though, I've loved my 3806 for the last 1.5 years and see no reason to be replacing it anytime soon.

B

bootman

Audioholic Intern
One thing I want to know is whether Denon has some sort of Zone 2/3 wireless functionality similar to that of the Emotiva RRC-1 wall plate. To me that is a nice function to have in eliminating a lot of wiring.
The RRC-1 is not wireless. (its also not available)
It requires three wires to run to it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Completely agree, disappointed to see that dropped for all but main L&R channels, kind of a step backwards from the 3806 in that regard. Jury still out on how it will sound of course. No way to know who's receiver (onkyo, denon...) will perform & sound best just by the features page of manufactures websites, too many factors. Looking forward to hearing it though, I've loved my 3806 for the last 1.5 years and see no reason to be replacing it anytime soon.
I would think that means you don't need it on all channels. My receiver has something similar and it is only used on the two main channels as well. No complaints here.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis