Meridian G95 DVD Surround Receiver

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Meridian Audio is pleased to announce the US launch of the G95 DVD Surround Receiver. The G95 is a high performance audio and video component that plays CD, DVD, and AM/FM radio, and produces 5.1-channel surround sound using Meridian’s latest digital amplifier technology. The hand-built G95 is designed and manufactured entirely by Meridian at its facility in Cambridgeshire, UK, and bears the stamp of Meridian cofounder Bob Stuart both inside and out.

Discuss "Meridian G95 DVD Surround Receiver" here. Read the article.

A

alexsound

Audioholic
Meridian Audio is pleased to announce the US launch of the G95 DVD Surround Receiver. The G95 is a high performance audio and video component that plays CD, DVD, and AM/FM radio, and produces 5.1-channel surround sound using Meridian’s latest digital amplifier technology. The hand-built G95 is designed and manufactured entirely by Meridian at its facility in Cambridgeshire, UK, and bears the stamp of Meridian cofounder Bob Stuart both inside and out.

Discuss "Meridian G95 DVD Surround Receiver" here. Read the article.
On the part talking about upscaling, the article states that this unit will send upscaled signals through component at 1080i. Is this accurate ? Will it take a standard DVD, for example, and upscale it to 720P or 1080i and send the signal via the component outputs ?

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
I've never seen or heard Meridian's products. I did talk to a guy on line that buys their stuff used a number of years after it comes out. World class products when the price comes way way down.
I bet many here looked at that and are saying 5.1?! Only 5.1?
<---perfectly happy with 5.1:)

But, at $8500 clams, this will never see the light of day in my house!;)

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
When they make on of these all-in-ones with an HD-DVD player I'll be tempted. Probably not $8500 tempted....... (I could upgrade a Porsche with every single leather covered option with $8500 and still have a few bucks left for the paint-colored seatbelts).

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
On the part talking about upscaling, the article states that this unit will send upscaled signals through component at 1080i. Is this accurate ? Will it take a standard DVD, for example, and upscale it to 720P or 1080i and send the signal via the component outputs ?
It doesn't sound like it, sounds to me like it'll keep an already upscaled signal that way.

"For systems lacking HDMI display connectivity, the Meridian routes upscaled signals, as well as pass-through 1080i, through its analog component-video output."

A

autoboy

Audioholic
Wait, $8500!

I initially thought this would be a good idea for simple instalations that only use TV and DVD, but i'm not even sure if it has an input for TV audio. I see plenty of simple installations that would really benefit from a decent amp for 5.1, and some good DVD upscaling, but this is not it. I don't see a market for this.

I kinda wish that mid level TVs had the capability to drive 5.1 audio without the need for a reciever. My parents, siblings, and my girlfriend don't want complicated setups, and want to be able to control everything through their familiar TV remote. If a TV had an amp that could drive a 5.1 satelite system, then they would have a decent setup without the hastle of extra componets and extra remotes. I could buy them a Sony TV, a sony DVD player, and some Kef satelite speakers and they could have instant 5.1. The TV would do all the component switching. I know sound quality will suffer, but they really don't care much. They just want surround sound. A 75-100W digital amp would be enough. More advanced users could use 5.1 preouts from the TV. Is this a bad idea? And don't tell me no, its not a good idea becasue the sound will suck. Yes, it will suck, but so do iPods and nobody seems to care.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Wait, $8500!

I initially thought this would be a good idea for simple instalations that only use TV and DVD, but i'm not even sure if it has an input for TV audio. I see plenty of simple installations that would really benefit from a decent amp for 5.1, and some good DVD upscaling, but this is not it. I don't see a market for this.

I kinda wish that mid level TVs had the capability to drive 5.1 audio without the need for a reciever. My parents, siblings, and my girlfriend don't want complicated setups, and want to be able to control everything through their familiar TV remote. If a TV had an amp that could drive a 5.1 satelite system, then they would have a decent setup without the hastle of extra componets and extra remotes. I could buy them a Sony TV, a sony DVD player, and some Kef satelite speakers and they could have instant 5.1. The TV would do all the component switching. I know sound quality will suffer, but they really don't care much. They just want surround sound. A 75-100W digital amp would be enough. More advanced users could use 5.1 preouts from the TV. Is this a bad idea? And don't tell me no, its not a good idea becasue the sound will suck. Yes, it will suck, but so do iPods and nobody seems to care.
I am pretty sure you just described a simple HTiB you can set everything up on one simple remote and it is very easy to find some that don't allow for any component hook up besides the dvd player they come with. Its cheap and easy and sounds crappy.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
A good remote goes a long way towards ease of use for the technically challenged :)

A

autoboy

Audioholic
Yeah, but why do you need the reciever when really all you need can be integrated into the TV? The HT in a box is still not idiot proof. You have to turn it on for surround sound. The Built in 5.1 to the TV would come on whenever the TV is turned on. Yes I know a remote can handle all that. But 98% of people are too dumb to program even a simple one.

Last edited:
avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
The reason its not integrated in a TV is because many people would probably still not use it and to be honest there is a reason I will never buy a tv that has a dvd player built in and I would never buy a tv that has an internal amp for speakers. I would rather get a TV that worked well then a mediocre tv and a crappy amp.

Some people just want everything handed to them on a silver platter and if they can't have it well they screw themselves out of whatever they want. I am fine with that if not they can spend 15 minutes looking online and find out how to hook up a HTiB or a receiver and speakers, hell even bad instructions say red to red black to black.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
The HT in a box is still not idiot proof. You have to turn it on for surround sound.
If these "idiots" of which you speak are too stupid to turn on a reciever, what makes you think they can turn on a TV? What you're asking for can be had from B&O... for about $20K. Of course only an idiot would pay that much just so they don't have to remember to press ONE BUTTON :D

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
Yeah, but why do you need the reciever when really all you need can be integrated into the TV? The HT in a box is still not idiot proof. You have to turn it on for surround sound. The Built in 5.1 to the TV would come on whenever the TV is turned on. Yes I know a remote can handle all that. But 98% of people are too dumb to program even a simple one.
Nothing in A/V is idiot proof. Even with this TV/Reciever, you'll need to plug it in to the wall, place and connect all the speakers, and maybe even adjust speaker levels.

Also, there's a reason most everyone here prefers seperate components, it's all about SQ and PQ, which is why we're audioholics, not "ease-of-use-aholics"

A

alexsound

Audioholic
If these "idiots" of which you speak are too stupid to turn on a reciever, what makes you think they can turn on a TV? What you're asking for can be had from B&O... for about $20K. Of course only an idiot would pay that much just so they don't have to remember to press ONE BUTTON :D
Mr Andry,
Please see my 1st post on this unit. Need the Expert's take on the "upscaling" question.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Mr Andry,
Please see my 1st post on this unit. Need the Expert's take on the "upscaling" question.
From the article:
(For systems lacking HDMI display connectivity, the Meridian routes upscaled signals, as well as pass-through 1080i, through its analog component-video output.)

This means it will not upscale regular dvds it will pass through a 1080i signal not take a 480i/p signal and upconvert it.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Am I the only one thinking that this device would have been groundbreaking technology 10 years ago? But now.... it doesn't even have automatic speaker calibration. A $400 Onkyo has automatic calibration. NAD's L73 is basically the same product (DVD, 5 channel amp) without video upconversion and sells for just $600 and isn't exactly flying off the shelves.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Mr Andry,
From the press release:
For systems lacking HDMI display connectivity, the Meridian routes upscaled signals, as well as pass-through 1080i, through its analog component-video output.
So... yep. This isn't all that ground breaking. Oppo's do this as well as just about everyone else.

Am I the only one thinking that this device would have been groundbreaking technology 10 years ago?
But it's so pretty :rolleyes:

A

autoboy

Audioholic
The reason its not integrated in a TV is because many people would probably still not use it and to be honest there is a reason I will never buy a tv that has a dvd player built in and I would never buy a tv that has an internal amp for speakers. I would rather get a TV that worked well then a mediocre tv and a crappy amp.

Some people just want everything handed to them on a silver platter and if they can't have it well they screw themselves out of whatever they want. I am fine with that if not they can spend 15 minutes looking online and find out how to hook up a HTiB or a receiver and speakers, hell even bad instructions say red to red black to black.
If these "idiots" of which you speak are too stupid to turn on a reciever, what makes you think they can turn on a TV?
You are missing the point of my post. You all probably think I am dumb for even bringing this up, but eliminating complexity is a powerful tool. Apple built a business on it. I don't give a crap if you will never buy one. You are here checking out audio message boards and are obviously more interested in these things than the regular consumer. Eliminating the reciever and giving them 5.1, no a HTiB does not eliminate the receiver, would make things easier for most folks, while still allowing them to enjoy the surround sound that is broadcast through OTA and on DVDs. I use a similiar strategy for my upstairs TV. I have a 40" LCD and DVD player in my bedroom and I didn't want the bulkyness, or complexity of a reciever, but I wanted a little more than the 10W speakers built into the TV. I simply routed the audio and video through the TV, and used the variable stereo out to an amp to power my external speakers. Yes, fiedelity is not great, but it is a far cry from stock. My girlfriend does not need to know anything more than how to work a single TV remote to use the system, and I don't have to spend $150 on a Harmony remote, and program it, for a simple setup just to turn on and off the stereo speakers. She is not too stupid to turn on a reciever, it is just one more thing she has to do. If I swithced the setup to DVD, in order for her to watch TV with sound she has to fiddle with the reciever remote to find the right input, then fiddle with the TV remote to find the right input, just to turn on the sound.

Really, all I am asking is that TV manufacturers put 5.1 pre-outs on their TVs instead of just stereo (with a simple 80hz crossover and settings in the TV to turn it on). Then users who are more interested in better sound without complexity could just use a 5.0 amp conected to some speakers.

I run into this dilema all the time. My parents are very well off, and I install the audio in their 3 homes. In their main home I got professionals to install a whole house audio system. It is a PITA to upgrade and maintain. It costs them a fortune, and me a lot of headache. All they want to do is watch TV, DVDs, and listen to radio around the house. When I wanted to upgrade to HD-DVD, it was a production. In their other homes, I ended up installing several simpler systems with a receiver as the backbone of the system, but I had to program remotes to turn on the system, and this system is not smart like the professional system because it does not know when a component is on or off. I get calls all the time when they can't figure out how to switch to DVD and get the sound working again because some grandkid was messing with the system. Remember they have many different systems and have trouble learning them all. All I want is 5.1 output to an amp tucked away where little fingers can't find it and have the TV do all the switching of inputs. If I buy all the same brand components, the TV universal remote works flawlessly and they are happy, and I don't get calls on a saturday night while trying to get freaky.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
That honestly sounds more like user error and refusal to spend 10 minutes learning than the need for a whole new product. Receivers are not that hard to use especially ones that come with a HTiB they literally need the speaker wires connected where they say and some have one input and that one input is for the dvd player that comes with them thats it. You turn the receiver on and adjust the volume and thats all it really does. Next time your well off folks want something simple to watch dvds with tell them to get blose all their stuff is very simple and shouldn't confuse them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis