Scramjet Finally Tested at Mach 10

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Reuters reported that an experimental scramjet engine was successfully tested in a joint effort between the US and Australia defense scientists. It attained speeds of up to6,835 miles (11,000 km) per hour , or 10 times the speed of sound, during trials in Australia's outback, defense scientists said on Friday. Since this is Audioholics, we thought our readers might be interested in other technologies that make use of sound... or at least some that break the speed of sound...

Discuss "Scramjet Finally Tested at Mach 10" here. Read the article.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Reuters reported that an experimental scramjet engine was successfully tested in a joint effort between the US and Australia defense scientists. It attained speeds of up to6,835 miles (11,000 km) per hour , or 10 times the speed of sound, during trials in Australia's outback, defense scientists said on Friday. Since this is Audioholics, we thought our readers might be interested in other technologies that make use of sound... or at least some that break the speed of sound...

Discuss "Scramjet Finally Tested at Mach 10" here. Read the article.
Interesting article, thanks. Some are interested, I am sure, me for one.:D

D

davo

Full Audioholic
Thats an interesting article, thanks for including it. My father was part of the construction team that built the Woomera test facilities, he has some old photo's of the site as it was been built. I wonder if they would be classified?

But the commercial application would be very useful to a keen audioholic who needed a cheap a/v receiver from the US and be back in Australia before lunch.

Can they have it ready by August?;)

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Can a pilot withstand the G forces while accelerating to mach 10?

S

sploo

Full Audioholic
Can a pilot withstand the G forces while accelerating to mach 10?
Depends how quickly he's accelerating :D

Seriously... 11km/h is 3055 m/s, so accelerating at 5G (5x9.81m/s^2), it would take just over a minute to hit full speed (assuming, incorrectly of course, starting at 0km/h). Not pleasant, but I'd expect top pilots could handle that.

Now, the kind of G forces generated if you actually tried to turn sharply at that speed...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis