RBH Sound MC-6C Bookshelf Speaker Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The RBH Sound MC-6C speaker system has certainly exceeded my expectations and proved that, like a fine wine, a product line can get better overtime. The fact that the MC-6C’s could outgun pricier speakers on the market is a testament to a speaker company not so concerned with profit margins as much as they are with bringing a high performance product to market that targets music lovers and movie aficionados alike. They can play plenty loud, never sounding strained or stressed when asked to be pushed harder than they should be. These speakers have no right sounding as good as they do in a sub $1k price range.

Discuss "RBH Sound MC-6C Bookshelf Speaker Review" here. Read the article.

J

jake5717

Audioholic
Im excited to see these speakers got such a good review. Being the first set of speakers I’ve ever bought I had a bit I buyers remorse but that all ended when I watched my first movie. I love these speakers they sound great. Yesterday I placed my order for a MC-616c.

nova

nova

Full Audioholic
I'm a little surprised that you didn't review the 616C. I really believe it is a far superior speaker, I find the 6C to be slightly boomy/muddy when compared to the 616C.
I am glad to finally see a review on the MC Series Mark II,.... I have been recommending them for the last three years or so as the best value in HT speakers. I also love the TS-10AP as a musical sub, though I admit it's not the best value as far as HT subs.
Then again,...thats just my opinion :D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I'm a little surprised that you didn't review the 616C. I really believe it is a far superior speaker, I find the 6C to be slightly boomy/muddy when compared to the 616C.
But if I reviewed the 616C, someone would have wanted me to review the MC Tower :) I did the MC6C b/c it will be part of a BIG bookshelf speaker face off we are working on this summer.

I have no doubts the 616C is a better speaker, due to its driver topology, but its also bigger and more expensive. Not sure about the boomy sound you heard as that has not been my experience. Perhaps it was a placement issue.

The TS-10A is definately not a value sub by any means, but it perfoms quite nicely.

Xander

Xander

Audiophyte
Damn it I hate moving

After reading the review I felt the need to enjoy Brothers in Arms again. To my annoyance I recalled it was packed away awaiting my move just as I was turning everything on. ARGH!! Nice review, makes me wish I had some money to spend.

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
Quotes taken from the review:
Molded baffle design making speakers not field serviceable.

Lack some of the transparency and fluidity of my Decimo’s and very few other high rollers.

The MC-6C’s did a great job rendering the bass parts but simply couldn’t reproduce the deep kick drums.
Are these the only negatives you could find?
The MC-6C’s set up a nice 3 dimensional soundstage placing the guitars left of dead center and back.
In a HT, the above quote was the only thing I could find, that can kinda relate.
How is the imaging, and soundstage in a HT?

nova

nova

Full Audioholic
Yeah,... I know, everyone has a certain speaker they would like reviewed. Ya can't do them all :)

Maybe boomy is not the right word,... I don't think placement was an issue. I listened to them at RBH,...maybe the problem was I listened to them and then switched to the MC-616C, MC-6CT, then 1266-SE, then T-2P. :D I'm sure you can see where the 6C didn't do so well. I think the 616C easily beat the 6CT also.

Don't anyone misunderstand,... the 6C is a fantastic speaker and I'm sure it'll hold it's own in the upcoming review. I would not hesitate to recommend any of the MC line,... in fact in addition to my 1266-SE system I also have MC-4C's (the first ones) and TS-10AP that I love to listen to music on.

Reorx: I have listened to a lot of RBH speakers and so far every offering in the MC and Signature Series provide for outstanding imaging and soundstage.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
How is the imaging, and soundstage in a HT?
If a speaker images well in 2CH music and offers an expansive soundstage, there is no reason why it won't do the same in a home theater. Since i didn't evaluate an MC package, my review was focused on 2CH where I tend to be far more critical.

Coheednme13

Coheednme13

Audioholic
Towers vs. Bookshelves

Hey Gene,

Very nice review. I was wondering if you could give me your opinion. I was going to run a subwoofer do you think that it would be a waste of money to get the mc towers? Should I just get the MC-6C or get some MC-616C's for the center and fronts? Thanks in advance.

If anyone lives in South Carolina and has some RBH's let me know. I can't find a dealer much less a comprable audio store, I guess there isn't much demand for it in Columbia.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Hey Gene,

Very nice review. I was wondering if you could give me your opinion. I was going to run a subwoofer do you think that it would be a waste of money to get the mc towers? Should I just get the MC-6C or get some MC-616C's for the center and fronts? Thanks in advance
I recommend going with the MC-6Cs or preferrably the MC-616C's and a sub over the MC-6C Towers any day of the week, especially if you are doing home theater.

Coheednme13

Coheednme13

Audioholic
Gene,
If I were going with the MC-616C's what sub or pair of subs would you recommend as a good match with the 616C's? It doesn't necessarily have to be an RBH sub.

nova

nova

Full Audioholic
I know ya asked Gene,... but I'll pipe in as well. Depending on your preferences I'd suggest five RBH MC-616C and an SVS PB12 Plus/2, or 3 MC-616C, two MC-44C, and two MC-4C and the SVS sub. Of course the RBH TS-10AP and TS-12AP are no slouches,... but for the money I think you can get as good or better subs. That said,... I do love my TS-10AP.

Coheednme13

Coheednme13

Audioholic
Subs

Thanks for the response Nova. I've heard good things about RBH subs but they don't have the extension of other subs. The TS-10AP only goes to 30hz while the TS-12AP goes to 27hz. I want a sub that goes down to 18 or 16Hz like the HSU Research subs, but there are brands out there that i don't know about so I leave it to the forum for suggestions. I would really like to have a JL Audio Fathom, they are priced outrageously.

Hey if anyone has can help me with a surround question just let me know.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene,
If I were going with the MC-616C's what sub or pair of subs would you recommend as a good match with the 616C's? It doesn't necessarily have to be an RBH sub.
It all depends on your budget and how LARGE of a sub(s) you can live with.

If you want small potent subs, go with Velodyne DD series, particularly DD12s or 15's but they aren't cheap.

If you can wait a bit, RBH will be introducing new subs that I feel will be a quantum leap for them (though their current subs are no slouches, they just aren't as high value as some of the ID brands).

FYI, I am using an Axiom EP 500 in my Family Room reference system mated with all RBH Signature series products and it works quite well.

Coheednme13

Coheednme13

Audioholic
Everyone thanks for all the answers. I was just wondering do you think that it is benneficial for the added cost to move up to the Signature series or do you think that the MC series is almost as good? To give some insight I will be using these speakers for HT primarily. Thanks in advance.

jnmfox

jnmfox

Audioholic
Everyone thanks for all the answers. I was just wondering do you think that it is benneficial for the added cost to move up to the Signature series or do you think that the MC series is almost as good? To give some insight I will be using these speakers for HT primarily. Thanks in advance.
Gene,

I know it has been a while since this was posted but I was wondering the same thing. I am about to pull the trigger on some MC-6Cs and a MC-616 but I am wondering if I should keep saving for the SEs.

Thanks

nova

nova

Full Audioholic
I think the MC line compares very favorably to the SE line. Are they as good? No. Do they look as good? No. Are they very close and an excellent value? YES. My suggestion to you would be go with a bunch of 616C rather than the 6C. If you can save the money the SE are very nice, but you can come very close with three MC-616C across the front and a good sub.

G

Guapo

Enthusiast
I purchased some RBH MC series a few years ago. I was having trouble figuring out which configuration to get and I eventually called RBH and talked to one of the engineers. Unfortunately his name escapes me, as it's coming up on four years now. Based on my budget & needs, he recommended MC 616's and for the sub, the MS 10.1. This guy knows his stuff because he nailed the recommendation.

The MS 10.1 sound is rich, deep & has a nice punch. It's very accurate and starts/stops when it's supposed to. I also like to feel the sound when appropriate and this little speaker has the goods.

I know it's been a while since the original post, but better late than never. ;-)

A

Arkh82

Enthusiast
I know this is quite an old post, but I recently got my hands on 2 pair of the MC-6C speakers, and i ended up going with the MC-414C for a center due to size constraints. Is there much of a downside in going with the 414 vs the 616? Also now looking for a 5 Channel amp to power these, as it seems my current receiver is a bit lacking in the power dept.

currently using this in a 5.1 setup for my computer, with a Yamaha RX-V667 running the show, taking input from a Creative SoundBlaster X3. Locally i found someone selling a Pioneer Elite TSX-92TXH for $200 Would this be a good upgrade from the Yamaha, and possibly eliminate needing a seperate amp?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis