Denon AVR-2307CI Receiver Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
When Denon adds the CI suffix to a model number, I fear most users don’t know what to think. CI? It is more expensive so it must be better right? Well, for the most part the CI (Custom Integration) adds advanced connectivity and control features. Just remember this; installers are interested in ease of use. They want the receiver to do more switching, more auto sensing, and assignable, renameable, and multiple inputs. Actually, I want that too. And so should you. So, while you may be uninterested in the RS-232 port on the back, don’t think that the CI designation isn’t for you. ‘Cause it is.

Discuss "Denon AVR-2307CI Receiver Review" here. Read the article.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Hi Tom,

nice review; congrats once again!

Must agree with you on the MATRIX DSP. I do use it a lot as well and IMO it's by far the best one, for general listening purposes. Even for music (other than DPL IIX), it always have a real sweet sound all' round.

Cheers.

A

anonymouse99

Audiophyte
Good review. I did initially purchase a 2307CI - but settled on an AVR 3806 - it has that little extra pop, IMHO. I believe the Burr-Brown DACs and A/D sampling rate of 192KHz (96KHz on the 2307CI) makes a difference. However, I would pick the 2307CI over the 2807. Having said all that, as the reviewer indicates, the features, value of the 2307CI can't be beat (has almost all of the features of the 2807 and 3806).

2307, 2807 and 3806 comparisons

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Nice review, but I wonder if something is wrong with your 3805? Mine has no problem with the OSD thru component input, although the same can't be said for my older 3802. I've never even had S-Vid or composite hooked up to my 3805, btw.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
That may be, I've always had a redundant composite cable to back up the component just for menus. I know that the volume display and source doesn't show up over component. In the 3805 manual, on page 100 it says, "On-screen display only displayed for SYSTEM SETUP, SURR.PARA and ON SCREEN buttons". I don't remember any of those working. I'll have to test it out when I hook the 3805 back up.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

That may well be. I've used the OSD for setup stuff, not much else. But I'm thinking the other stuff works, too. Not positive though. Personally I always turned off all the OSD except for when making adjustments- I find it annoying to have the "mute" GUI pop up when I mute.

I really like my '3805, btw. It could well be my "last HT receiver.":D Oh, obviously electronic components don't last forever, so when it finally craps out on me I'll have to replace it. But there's really nothing I can readily foresee needing that it doesn't already do. More advanced room correction would be cool, but the next step up from the Denon would probably be a pre/pro, not a newer Denon. I just wish Denon would release a new pre-pro already...:rolleyes:

D

Dutchman01

Enthusiast
nice review but i do mis something there.

The Measurements and Analysis page is not there.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
We don't have the capacity right now to do measurements for every product though we try to do as thorough a job as we can with whatever test equipment we have (in some cases that is just our ears).

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Good review. For the record, I have never seen my OSD because I am unwilling to add the composite cable line to my setup. I have nothing else to add except that I think every review of Denon recievers should include the warning that if you hear no sound, it's probably that the input source should be set to auto. Also, the analog input buttons on the bottom of the remote should be placed on the back under the door to prevent accidentally engaging the analog input source and then having to flip the remote over anyway to put the input source back to auto.

T

talex_us

Audiophyte
Newbie needs help with 2307CI setup

I have a 2307CI with a Toshiba HDMI dvd player (not HD, but upconverts to 1080i) and a Panasonic LCD projector. I also have an HDMI cable box.

Everything was working fine until my brother came and changed some settings in an (unsuccessful) attempt to hook up a XBOX.

Now, I don't have sound from the DVD player. The HDMI cable box is fine. Both HDMI ports are set up on auto-detect, and I can't figure out why my DVD has no sound but my cable does.

I'm guessing there's something settng I need to change; can anyone advise? The manual is basically worthless for troubleshooting. Thanks!

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Try going into the setup menu, audio in and make sure DVD has assigned to it HDMI 1 or 2, whichever input DVD uses.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Nice review, but I wonder if something is wrong with your 3805? Mine has no problem with the OSD thru component input, although the same can't be said for my older 3802. I've never even had S-Vid or composite hooked up to my 3805, btw.
Same here, I don't use the composite at all, the OSD works fine via the component video cables.

T

talex_us

Audiophyte
Try going into the setup menu, audio in and make sure DVD has assigned to it HDMI 1 or 2, whichever input DVD uses.
Thanks for your advice. I have already double-checked the HDMI assignments for DVD, and the audio in matches the video assignment. Still, I cannot get any sound from my DVD player.

I'm suspecting that my configuration is correct, and that it is my DVD player that is acting up. I'm going to hook up the DVD player to another HDMI set to see if I get sound.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for your advice. I have already double-checked the HDMI assignments for DVD, and the audio in matches the video assignment. Still, I cannot get any sound from my DVD player.

I'm suspecting that my configuration is correct, and that it is my DVD player that is acting up. I'm going to hook up the DVD player to another HDMI set to see if I get sound.
Just a couple more simple things to check, but you probably already have. Check the DVD setup menu that it's output is set to HDMI, check the physical HDMI connection that it's securely in it's port and scroll through the input settings from the button under the back cover to be sure the input select is on auto. After that, I'm out of ideas.

T

talex_us

Audiophyte
Just a couple more simple things to check, but you probably already have. Check the DVD setup menu that it's output is set to HDMI, check the physical HDMI connection that it's securely in it's port and scroll through the input settings from the button under the back cover to be sure the input select is on auto. After that, I'm out of ideas.
That's a good idea. I'll check the DVD setup too. But I am getting video via the HDMI connection, just not audio so I'm optimistic on that. I'm suspecting a hardware problem with my DVD player.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis