User-friendly DRM Around the Corner?

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
In an event most would have thought unlikely, Dan Glickman MPAA CEO, called for DRM compatibility across the board. Sponsored by Variety and Lexis-Nexis, this ground-breaking conference brought to light the controversy surrounding the subject of DRM. Mr. Glickman wants diverse industries to coalesce in an effort to bring order to the chaos caused by DRM and the myriad ways that its being implemented...

Discuss "User-friendly DRM Around the Corner?" here. Read the article.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
It all sounds good but talk is cheap and my faith in any effort to improve the situation is very limited. CD quality has been restricted to 48kHz for years now, even though electronic equipment has been touting 24\96kHz capabilities for years. The CSS restrictions could easily rectify this without any changes in its DRM philosophy. I will not be holding my breath.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
The industry has no one to blame but themselves, if this guy Glickman is really genuine about his ideals and goals, it might be a good start. To be frank I'm a bit skeptical about the other "parties" involved, specifically the legal community, with them its the bottom line (money.) We have great techonology that can't be put to it's full potential due to "legalities" in place.

Another hypothesis could be that the line on DRM has been softened due to the fact that RIAA and MPAA haven't been as succesful at stopping illegal downloads as we have been led to believe, thus if you make it easier to play content accross the board people will be less motivated to pirate music and movies, Glickman says he doesn't mind if consumers who "came by their content legally" make duplicates for network, portable device, mobil viewing. That has to be the biggest gripe with consumers, not being able to duplicate.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
The only user-friendly DRM is no DRM. I don't accept that someone who legitimately purchases music or movies should jump through hoops just to use it.

Last edited:
avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
The only user-friendly DRM is no DRM. I don't accept that someone who legitimately purchases music or movies should jump through hoops just to use it.
Amen, I completely agree with that, but the mere fact that someone who might be able to do something is recognizing the problem is a step in the right direction. In the end we have to take the lesser of two evils.

H

HiJon89

Audioholic
User-friendly DRM is an oxy-moron. The only way DRM can be effective is if it's completely un-userfriendly.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
User-friendly DRM is an oxy-moron. The only way DRM can be effective is if it's completely un-userfriendly.
The problem with that is that there is no really effective DRM.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis