Onkyo Announces New HQV-Reon Receivers

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Silicon Optix announced today that Onkyo has significantly raised the bar for video performance in A/V receivers with the addition of the Reon-VX HQV video processor in two of their models. Onkyo’s TX-SR875 has a MRSP of $1,699 and will ship in June, while Onkyo’s TX-NR905 has a MRSP of $2,099 and will ship in August.

Discuss "Onkyo Announces New HQV-Reon Receivers" here. Read the article.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Nice, very nice. Onkyo seems to be quite on top of things in the way of HD.:D

C

chenyk

Enthusiast
Indeed very nice. And they are pretty good price.

So, now I just need to wait for Audioholics (hopefully soon) to review Onkyo’s TX-SR875. Very soon, I'm going to have a hard time to decided whether to get 875 or Denon Avr-3808 (also waiting for Audioholics to review it and again hopefully soon after it release).

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
... and as is nearly always the case with Onkyo, the 7xx series is the best bang for the buck. The price nearly doubles from the 705 to the 805/875 and for that huge price increase you get minimal extras (unless you absolutely MUST have the HQV video processor).

Z

zepaholic

Audioholic
The TX-SR875 and the TX-NR905 ( do a reveiw ) sound like what I've been waiting for. Anybody heard what Yamaha has coming?

J

jm_etue

Audiophyte
Dts Hd-ma

Clint mentions support for:

"... Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD Master Audio ... "

but Onkyo's own press release says:
"... including internal decoding for DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus."

The TX-SR605 press release goes further:
"It is among the first receivers available to include decoding for Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD Master multichannel audio formats from Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players."

If it only does DTS HD, any DTS HD-MA titles will only decode as core DTS.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Clint mentions support for:

"... Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD Master Audio ... "

but Onkyo's own press release says:
"... including internal decoding for DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus."

The TX-SR605 press release goes further:
"It is among the first receivers available to include decoding for Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD Master multichannel audio formats from Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players."

If it only does DTS HD, any DTS HD-MA titles will only decode as core DTS.
I think you are reading too much into their press release, they are generalizing I think.

Fabrikator

Enthusiast
Nice!!!

First denon, now Onkyo.. Now just gotta wait for Yamaha to make an announcement. Then decide which is best between the 3... Never was a fan of sherwood :p

J

jm_etue

Audiophyte
I think you are reading too much into their press release, they are generalizing I think.
No, those aren't generalizations - those are specific upgraded features they are promoting in their press release - it's just not absolutely clear if the receivers feature just DTS HD (very good) or DTS HD-MA (excellent) decoding. DTS hasen't made it easy for consumers to figure out. It's up to the equipment manufacturers to clear things up.

I'm most interested in the DTS HD-MA because of the Fox titles that feature this audio codec.

J

jm_etue

Audiophyte
OK pics from the press release indicate at least the 805 and higher? will have DTS HD Master Audio ... YEA!

E

ericlhyman

Audioholic Intern
What are the benefits from the toroidal transformer in the Onkyo 905 vs. the 875?

Would the mosquito and block noise reduction systems of the Reon make it unnecessary to add on an Algolith Flea or Pixel Magic Eligio noise reduction unit for a 70" RPTV and 119" screen front projector with HD satellite signals?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
What are the benefits from the toroidal transformer in the Onkyo 905 vs. the 875?
The Benifit of a toroid is less EMI, and they are lighter than core transformers. They don't dissipate as much heat, so they are more efficient.:)

H

Hugo S

Audiophyte
NR905 cooling

Hi,

Any idea of the cooling system built in the 905? Fan or natural convection? ie noise or noiseless?

Thks,

Hugo

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Hi,

Any idea of the cooling system built in the 905? Fan or natural convection? ie noise or noiseless?

Thks,

Hugo
Those fans don't turn on unless their is extreme heat, so it wouldn't be likely you would ever hear it. My Yamaha RCV has yet to have had the fan come on and it has gotten pretty darn warm.;)

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
... and as is nearly always the case with Onkyo, the 7xx series is the best bang for the buck. The price nearly doubles from the 705 to the 805/875 and for that huge price increase you get minimal extras (unless you absolutely MUST have the HQV video processor).
What's also nice about Onkyo is that Ubid always has these models as refurbished at a huge discount, as does AC4L. I've got a bid on the 804 right now at Ubid. Hopefully I can grab it for under $400 (wishful thinking).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis