Yamaha Announces RX-V861 1080p HDMI Reciever

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Yamaha Electronics introduced the new RX-V861, an under-$1000 (but just barely) reeceiver with the latest functions and features available from the electronics giant. Featuring four "Scene” pre-set listening modes, HDMI 1080p switching and up conversion, multi-zone operation, YPAO and iPod and XM Satellite Radio compatibility, this receiver will ship in May for a suggested retail price of $999.95.

Discuss "Yamaha Announces RX-V861 1080p HDMI Reciever" here. Read the article.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
The IntelliAMP feature seems like a good idea that I'd like to see other manufacturers adopt.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
I am a little confused. Does this receiver FULLY support the new HD audio formats from DD and DTS or downconvert to PCM without lossless support?

N

ned

Full Audioholic
How would this compare to Onkyo 650 that has HDMI 1.3 with all the HD audio codecs such as DTS HD MA and TureHD decoders plus a price tag of $499!

N

ned

Full Audioholic
I am a little confused. Does this receiver FULLY support the new HD audio formats from DD and DTS or downconvert to PCM without lossless support?
First you'll need HDMI 1.3 to support the bandwidth for HD audio formats, since it doesn't then the answer is no.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
And you'll need a disc that will allow the raw bitstream to leave the player, and Blu-ray discs mastered as profile v1.1, and HD DVD discs mastered as advanced content will not allow the raw bitstream to be transmitted out of the player.

But to answer your question westcott; any receiver with six channel analogue inputs or HDMI, will fully support the new audio codex. The audio is decoded and mixed in the player and output as uncompressed multichannel PCM, via HDMI or the six channel out.
As for downconverting to DTS or DD, that happens in the player too, but that DTS or DD signal is only sent out through the optical and coax audio outputs.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
And you'll need a disc that will allow the raw bitstream to leave the player, and Blu-ray discs mastered as profile v1.1, and HD DVD discs mastered as advanced content will not allow the raw bitstream to be transmitted out of the player.

But to answer your question westcott; any receiver with six channel analogue inputs or HDMI, will fully support the new audio codex. The audio is decoded and mixed in the player and output as uncompressed multichannel PCM, via HDMI or the six channel out.
As for downconverting to DTS or DD, that happens in the player too, but that DTS or DD signal is only sent out through the optical and coax audio outputs.
Actually, I already new the answer but posted the question because the article is misleading and glosses over this very important issue. I find it hard to recommend buying an AV receiver without HDMI 1.3 and FULL support for HD audio DD and DTS at this juncture without at least expressing this concern in a review.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
First you'll need HDMI 1.3 to support the bandwidth for HD audio formats, since it doesn't then the answer is no.
It really is not a bandwidth issue, but a copy protection issue. Coaxial digital connections can support up to 1.5Gbps!!!!!

C

chenyk

Enthusiast
Yamaha has to do better then this as we all know upcoming Onkyo, Denon and Sherwood have much better spec for $1000 receiver.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
Actually, I already new the answer but posted the question because the article is misleading and glosses over this very important issue.
Oh, then just ignore what I sad. :p

But it was more or less just a press release, so you may get the expiation that you are looking for if or when AH does a full review.
pretty ignorant at this stage to come out with no hdmi 1.3
Well as of now there are no (at least to my knowledge) technologies or formats on the market - or that will be on the market in the near future - that would benefit or necessitate HDMI v1.3.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis