Sony Discusses Adding Larger Drive to PS3

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
According to a recent Reuters report, Sony Corp. said today that it is pondering increasing the hard disk capacity on future models due to the growing demands for disc space the current models seem to be exhibiting among consumers. Sony plans to discontinue the lower-capacity PS3 in North America shortly so get 'em while they're hot... or not.

Discuss "Sony Discusses Adding Larger Drive to PS3" here. Read the article.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
All I can say is that with all the downloadable stuff, even 60G doesn't seem like a lot. Save games are 1G or more and most downloadable stuff like demos and trailers are 500M-1G also, so add some pics and music and that thing can fill up quick. I usually watch trailers and then delete them after a day or so, demos I delete right away if they aren't so good.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I think the larger hard drive is a good idea. The thing that is odd is Sony talking about on cutting back the pure power of the PS3. That means people who have the older higher end model will essentially have pointless hardware because game developers will have to cater to the weaker link...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They probably want to cut back because they can drop the price some or at least make a profit on them... They are currently losing money on them.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
This thread makes me glad I have an xbox 360, it's obvious Sony still doesn't know what they are doing.

mikeyj92

mikeyj92

Full Audioholic
This thread makes me glad I have an xbox 360, it's obvious Sony still doesn't know what they are doing.
I agree.

Sadly though, MS doesn't seem to have a clue either.

It has become the "lesser of two evils" now...

Bleh.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, because they aren't releasing a new version to add more capacity or anything... :rolleyes: And still didn't include wifi or the HD-DVD drive built in...yep, sounds like a good plan.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, because they aren't releasing a new version to add more capacity or anything... :rolleyes: And still didn't include wifi or the HD-DVD drive built in...yep, sounds like a good plan.
I think he's referring to the fact that Microsoft apparently has no intention of *downgrading* the XBox 360 core unit by removing secondary chipsets, memory, cache, or downgrading components.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If they downgraded it, it would be an X-box ;) Sorry, I never saw Microsoft as the lesser of two evils.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
They have made it very clear why they aren't building the HD-DVD drive in, and they aren't forcing you to even by a console with a hard drive, and they aren't discontinuing any of their current models, nor are they reducing any of the hardware specs. I just see them offering more options for the consumer, and you can take them or leave them. I don't purchase content such as movies or tv shows from the marketplace, so I have no need for their new larger hard drive, nor do I need HDMI on my 360, so I'm very content with what I have now. And adding wifi would just further drive up the cost of the console for something a lot of people don't need, I for one prefer to have as little lag as possible on my console, so I don't opt for wi-fi, and am glad I didn't have to pay extra for it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sony offered the same thing...the 20G model doesn't have most of the advanced options of the 60G model, and if you wanted them, they could be added. Now that it has been discontinued in North America due to the fact that the overhwelming majority opted for the more expensive 60G model, it is clear that not so many people are of the same mind wanting less. I do understand they are trying to keep the "media" portion separate from the gaming portion, however I do think Sony made the right choice to include all those things. When it comes down to it, the 60G PS3 is actually a bargain for what you get in it. I mostly use it for gaming, but BluRay quickly became a major benefit as did all the online content. I wanted wifi because my PS3 is in my main HT - there is no network connection in there (because I already have wifi) so it was a no brainer for me.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
You are misinformed when you say that the things the 20 gig model lacks can be added... you can't add HDMI, wi-fi, or the memory card readers... nor can you swap hard drives. Sony basically crippled the lower model so bad that you pretty much didn't want it, so of course it makes the more expensive model the obvious choice for only $100 more, even at a $600 price point. At least with the 360 you have the option of adding a larger hard drive, wireless, and you could add a card reader via usb. And with the new Elite version coming out, it has HDMI, but you can opt to use component with that as well.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
You are misinformed when you say that the things the 20 gig model lacks can be added... you can't add HDMI, wi-fi, or the memory card readers... nor can you swap hard drives. Sony basically crippled the lower model so bad that you pretty much didn't want it, so of course it makes the more expensive model the obvious choice for only $100 more, even at a $600 price point. At least with the 360 you have the option of adding a larger hard drive, wireless, and you could add a card reader via usb. And with the new Elite version coming out, it has HDMI, but you can opt to use component with that as well.
The 20GB PS3 has HDMI, and you can add Wi-Fi via a USB dongle. I'm pretty sure you can use a USB memory card reader as well.. as well as USB hard drive.

You can also replace the hard drive in the 20GB model with any standard [SATA 2.5"] hard drive.

With the 360, the only way to upgrade the hard drive is to buy Microsoft's $180 120GB module.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think you are mistaken about who is misinformed. All options can be added via USB, however to add each of them on it actually costs more, which is why it makes more sense to just get the 60G model. And YES, the hard drive is USER UPGRADEABLE. There is no browse function so I don't think USB hard drives are supported yet, but all other forms of USB storage are. The unit supports up to 7 simultaneous devices via bluetooth in addition to the 4 USB ports.

Pwner_2130

Pwner_2130

Audioholic
Why didn't Sony and Microsoft think of this beforehand? To many gamers,
60GB - PS3(20GB - 360) is a puny size for a hard drive, 250 GB HDD are going for $50! Is this something difficult for major PC manufacturers to manage? They're both stupid.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I think you are mistaken about who is misinformed. All options can be added via USB, however to add each of them on it actually costs more, which is why it makes more sense to just get the 60G model. And YES, the hard drive is USER UPGRADEABLE. There is no browse function so I don't think USB hard drives are supported yet, but all other forms of USB storage are. The unit supports up to 7 simultaneous devices via bluetooth in addition to the 4 USB ports.
It makes more sense to get the 60GB model, which is why most people do.

However, I was pointing out that it's certainly wrong to say that you *can't* add Wi-Fo, you *can't* add a memory reader, and you *can't* swap the hard drive in a 20GB PS3.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
The PS3 and 360 both use low-power, smaller notebook hard drives. They are more expensive.

A 200GB SATA laptop hard drive (the kind you need in the PS3) is about $180. You can get 160GB for about $110 though.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis