Yamaha Drops Entry Price for Feature-laden Receivers

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
According to an article at twice.com, Yamaha is launching four new A/V receivers that drop the price of entry for consumers looking for some of the hottest new technology available on the consumer electronics market.

Discuss "Yamaha Drops Entry Price for Feature-laden Receivers" here. Read the article.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Sounds like a great plan to me. This should induce some healthy competition that will benefit all.

B

blruggles

Audiophyte
About time and long overdue..

As a network administrator and someone that works in IT daily these "SCRIPT" features are long overdue on receivers in the audio market....

With all the various settings in todays HT receivers, it only makes sense to have preprogrammed settings that you can switch back and forth to. They should have at least 10.

Good to see Yamaha finally focus in on better end user controls and cost reduction.

Now if they can just do a better job on the Remote Controls, why can't they add a simple SEEK button on the RC to easily scan up and down on the FM tuner similar to an FM radio in a car. :confused:

B

Bassman2

Audioholic
Well at first I was worried because I JUST bought an RX-V659 but after reading the article I see the new stuff is nothing I either need or really want. Sure it would be nice to have a pre set volume but I just take the time between hitting power and when the relays click on, to hold the volume button down. Besides it all sounds like it could be put on a two dollar chip and that the only reason it wasn't on the receivers to begin with was to get people to spend up. Just my nickel... minus three pennies.

A

angstadt530

Audioholic
With the exception of the lack of pre-outs, this seems like the receiver I've been waiting for... :)

I know these receivers will support 6 and 8 ohm speakers, but would I be ok running 4 ohm speakers through one? My current speakers are 6 ohm, but I'm just wondering for future reference.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Well, sounds great as long as they aren't cutting corners somewhere else to make those prices profitable...as long as they keep their honest power numbers, the feature set looks great for the prices.

Tsunamii

Tsunamii

Full Audioholic
Great price point. A white box running LMC and a couple of these and a multi zone setup starts looking pretty cheap with some cool features to match it.

J

jackdean101

Audioholic Intern
RX-V661 ($499) vs RX-V861 ($999)

I have read through the spec page on the Yamaha website and I can't figure out what the big difference is between these two recievers. The only thing I can come up w/ is 15 w per channel, and I don't believe that grants the $500 difference.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=547598&CTID=5000300&ATRID=1020&DETYP=ATTRIBUTE

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=547398&CTID=5000300&ATRID=1020&DETYP=ATTRIBUTE

A

angstadt530

Audioholic

I have read through the spec page on the Yamaha website and I can't figure out what the big difference is between these two recievers. The only thing I can come up w/ is 15 w per channel, and I don't believe that grants the $500 difference.[/url]
The 861 has 15 more W per channel, Pure Direct, and HDMI Up Conversion. The up conversion is the big one.

The rear layouts are also completely different, but they seem to have all the same connections, so there's no real difference there.

A read through each manual might reveal a few additional features in the 861, but I think the two biggest factors of the price increase are the increase power and the up conversion.

J

jackdean101

Audioholic Intern
http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/av/products/comparison/index3_3.html?pName=rxv861

if I understand the chart correctly, the 661 doesn't have component upconversion as well.

to list up the other differences:
HDMI upconversion
component upconversion
HDMI upscaling
more power

and I think both have pure direct. the US yamaha website sucks btw. if you look at the US website, you're gonna think that the DTS-Discrete feature has been deleted.
Thanks angstadt530 & Mike C

Last question... What exactly would I need HDMI upconversion for??

This thread has the break down of my Theater system
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31044

Thanks again you guys have really helped!!!!!!!!!!!

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
With all the features on these and other brands, I would really love to see these company's just make one model that has all the switching capabilites and ins and outs without the AMP section.... Just a really sleek PRE/PRO...

Give those Seperates companies a good run for their money...

Although my intent is to start heading into the Anthem Realm someday, but until then... I like using a dedicated outboard amp...

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks angstadt530 & Mike C

Last question... What exactly would I need HDMI upconversion for??

This thread has the break down of my Theater system
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31044

Thanks again you guys have really helped!!!!!!!!!!!
HDMI upconversion ... if you have an HDMI input on your TV ...
it minimizes the cables going to your TV ... i.e. only an HDMI cable. other sources that have component, composite, s-video will be switched/"upconverted" btw the receiver to HDMI and on to your display.

J

jackdean101

Audioholic Intern
HDMI upconversion ... if you have an HDMI input on your TV ...
it minimizes the cables going to your TV ... i.e. only an HDMI cable. other sources that have component, composite, s-video will be switched/"upconverted" btw the receiver to HDMI and on to your display.
Great thanks!!!!!!!

I think I am going to go w/ the Yamaha RX-V661, I found it online for $430.. let me know if you think I should go w/ something else!!! Thanks again

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=547398&CTID=5000300&ATRID=1020&DETYP=ATTRIBUTE

J

jackdean101

Audioholic Intern
the 661 doesn't have HDMI/component upconversion just to clear that up. so if you need those features, you have to go 861
Altough I think the feature would be nice to have I don't need it... I just don't see any reason to pay an additional $300 for the 861 just so I can get HDMI/component upconversion.

B

bitperfect101

Enthusiast
if the 661 doesnt upconvert, whats the difference from the 659?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis