Can these Retro McIntosh Speakers Possibly Be Good?

Can the Mcintosh MK1 MKII Speaker Be Any Good?

• Yes. It's a Mcintosh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No way, this thing belongs in the 70's.

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Vintage style meets cutting-edge sound? That’s what McIntosh’s new ML1 MKII Loudspeaker ($12K/pair) promises. Built from solid walnut, this new speaker reflects back on the company’s first-ever loudspeaker from 1970. The 4-way, 5-driver design features an unusual horizontal array of midrange drivers, promising wide dispersion and a room-sized sweet spot.

But one has to ponderr the amount of acoustical problems that plague this new speaker from the lobing caused by horizontally placed mid drivers, to the diffaction caused by the indented baffle.

The power handling seems impressive as it's obviously built with quality parts. What do you guys think?

Mcintosh.jpg

Read: Mcintosh Retro ML1 MKII Loudspeaker Overview

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Vintage style meets cutting-edge sound? That’s what McIntosh’s new ML1 MKII Loudspeaker ($12K/pair) promises. Built from solid walnut, this new speaker reflects back on the company’s first-ever loudspeaker from 1970. The 4-way, 5-driver design features an unusual horizontal array of midrange drivers, promising wide dispersion and a room-sized sweet spot.

But one has to ponderr the amount of acoustical problems that plague this new speaker from the lobing caused by horizontally placed mid drivers, to the diffaction caused by the indented baffle.

The power handling seems impressive as it's obviously built with quality parts. What do you guys think?

View attachment 62361

Read: Mcintosh Retro ML1 MKII Loudspeaker Overview
McIntosh have NEVER made a speaker worth listening to, no matter what the price.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I entirely agree with you. I saw and heard the first ones they released.
They were expensive then. They had well crafted and finished cabinets, but the drivers inside them were really cheap.

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
KLH and Wharfedale (Linton) have shown that these "retro" style designs can still work when engineered properly but the driver placement and baffle do seem odd choices by today's standards. Personally I am not fond of the look. Reminds me of too many cheap bass reflex cabinets from the 80's.

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
The grille is awful as well. If I were to go retro, it would most certainly be the JBL L100 Classic instead.

Except for some modern CNC'd designs that often look as if they try too hard to be modern, I tend to think most speakers are essentially retro styled no matter what they do to them, at least once the grilles are on them. Probably why so many spouses reject having them in their living rooms.

highfigh

highfigh

You guys didn't like their model with 400 tweeters? OK, so that's a slight exaggeration, but it had a whole lot of them.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Without an active crossover and power amps, it seems like there is an extra zero in the price tag.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Without an active crossover and power amps, it seems like there is an extra zero in the price tag.
More like two zeros. That unit would not look out of place. "Parts or Repair," on eBay.

Honestly the thing looks like something Charles Rodrigues would have drawn in a Stereo & Vision cartoon.

“...Oh, no, sir—the sound from this speaker here, the Extel MK8, is salubrious, exquisite, stunning, glorious, and dazzling. The sound from that speaker there, the Airex 3, is superlative, smashing, magnificent, superb, and impeccable.”

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
More like two zeros. That unit would not look out of place. "Parts or Repair," on eBay.

Honestly the thing looks like something Charles Rodrigues would have drawn in a Stereo & Vision cartoon.

“...Oh, no, sir—the sound from this speaker here, the Extel MK8, is salubrious, exquisite, stunning, glorious, and dazzling. The sound from that speaker there, the Airex 3, is superlative, smashing, magnificent, superb, and impeccable.”
*Stereo Review, which later became Sound & Vision (I don't believe - though I could be wrong, of course - that he contributed to the latter).

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
42" tall seems like a lot for a bookshelf speaker, which is what this is listed as in the article.

To answer the question in the title: It depends on what your goal is. If the goal is good sound in your room, I expect you could find a pair of speakers under $6,000 that could do that, making these a poor value. If the goal is to impress others, or yourself, with an all McIntosh system, then these would fit the bill.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

42" tall seems like a lot for a bookshelf speaker, which is what this is listed as in the article.

To answer the question in the title: It depends on what your goal is. If the goal is good sound in your room, I expect you could find a pair of speakers under $6,000 that could do that, making these a poor value. If the goal is to impress others, or yourself, with an all McIntosh system, then these would fit the bill.
Those speakers would only create a negative impression on me and anyone I know. They violate basic principles of speaker design. They are high priced junk, pure and simple. You would not have to spend anything like $6000.00 to best those speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis