Monoprice Monolith MTM-100 Powered Desktop Speaker Review

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Ever since Monoprice launched their Monolith product line in 2016, they have produced a variety of products that had to be taken seriously within the sphere of high-fidelity audio. Even though we at Audioholics have reviewed quite a few Monolith products, we have only managed to cover a fraction of their offerings under that series moniker. One segment within the Monolith series that we have yet to deal with is the powered desktop speakers, but that will change today in this review of the MTM-100 powered desktop speakers. The MTM-100s are on the larger end of loudspeakers meant for desktop use without getting into actual studio monitors (which aren’t really meant to be placed directly on a desktop anyway). The MTM-100s are desktop speakers for users who want more dynamic range and bass extension than normal desktop speakers. They should also be good as a shelf system in a bedroom or office on account of their Bluetooth connectivity. How well do they work in their intended roles? Read our full review to find out…

READ: Monoprice Monolith MTM-100 POwreed Desktop Loudspeaker Review

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Ever since Monoprice launched their Monolith product line in 2016, they have produced a variety of products that had to be taken seriously within the sphere of high-fidelity audio. Even though we at Audioholics have reviewed quite a few Monolith products, we have only managed to cover a fraction of their offerings under that series moniker. One segment within the Monolith series that we have yet to deal with is the powered desktop speakers, but that will change today in this review of the MTM-100 powered desktop speakers. The MTM-100s are on the larger end of loudspeakers meant for desktop use without getting into actual studio monitors (which aren’t really meant to be placed directly on a desktop anyway). The MTM-100s are desktop speakers for users who want more dynamic range and bass extension than normal desktop speakers. They should also be good as a shelf system in a bedroom or office on account of their Bluetooth connectivity. How well do they work in their intended roles? Read our full review to find out…

READ: Monoprice Monolith MTM-100 POwreed Desktop Loudspeaker Review
That seems a much better and more competent design than we have seen lately from some of those smaller speaker designs. In my view it is good value for money.

What do you think that null at 9 KHz is due to? It is worse in axis compared to off. I suspect it cancellation from reflections from the wave guide. I bet that dip is audible, especially on speech.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Curiosity, @shadyJ :

How would you compare these to some of the nearfield monitors you've looked at like the Kali and such? (I get that the purpose is different, but obviously people are using small monitors as Desktop solutions... Just looking for random thoughts about the use case. ;) )

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That seems a much better and more competent design than we have seen lately from some of those smaller speaker designs. In my view it is good value for money.

What do you think that null at 9 KHz is due to? It is worse in axis compared to off. I suspect it cancellation from reflections from the wave guide. I bet that dip is audible, especially on speech.
Given the axial difference, I would suspect the dip is due to the waveguide. Is it audible? I don't think so, given that it is such a high Q dip.
Curiosity, @shadyJ :

How would you compare these to some of the nearfield monitors you've looked at like the Kali and such? (I get that the purpose is different, but obviously people are using small monitors as Desktop solutions... Just looking for random thoughts about the use case. ;) )
Larger monitors will have a wider dynamic range, so no surprise there. But the Kalis and monitors of that type are made for further listening distances (Kali specifies 2.8m for the LP-8). So they are engineered for different purposes. While you could use the Monolith MTM-100s at further distances than say, 1 meter, they won't punch as hard as something like the Kali speakers.

The MTM-100s are a better solution for someone looking for a simple plug'n'play solution. No need to add a DAC or pre-amp. They do everything out of the box; just hook up your source. Just a different class of product from powered monitors.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
The first obstacle with most desktop systems is the notion that the desk must be just big enough for a keyboard, mouse and monitor, and that it be slam up against a wall in a college dorm room, child's bedroom, or office cubicle. These days, people buy homes designed around walk-in closets that would swallow a child's bedroom of just a couple decades or so ago. Most homes that I helped to build just 2 decades ago usually included a larger office space that could rival a master bedroom, with built-in library accommodations, executive sized desks and a sofa/chair or two. Add to that trend, wide open floor plans and what amounts to otherwise wasted space elsewhere in the home.

Now I have the business side on my desk 5.5' off of the front wall, with my 12" mains baffles 24" off the same wall, toed-in just so, and the stereo image is absolutely glorious and I can surf and jam without ever leaving the spot. I have a sofa on either side of me, and all of my daily paraphernalia within reach. I can also set up my stand mount speakers more ideally as well when I feel like listening to those, and I also have a pair of 12" subs firing under my desk, with the sofas acting as absorptive chokes of sorts. While the room still has acoustic gremlins, they're out of range from where I sit now and it solved a lot of room issues that I simply don't need to care about any longer.

I can use towers, studio monitors, bookshelf, or pretty much any type of speaker or power here. No more being teased with dreadfully tiny woofers and flea-watt amperage of what trend marketers think I should have for this purpose. I ended up with what amounts to a high performance studio arrangement, that is disguised as a desktop PC setup, across the end of an 12' wide, x 26' long room, adjoining a double opening hallway. All the acoustic crap ends up at the opposite end right where the kitchen entry is, where me or nobody ever hangs at.

With that said, I would encourage anyone strapped to a desktop for any 'real' entertainment value at all to it, to get larger speakers or studio monitors and put them off of the desk and further behind it, on stands or even towers, and just pull the desk away from the wall, even if just temporarily, per session.

Many 2-channel designer trends have an otherwise sterile room with big mono blocks on the floor all by their lonesome, some trendy looking listening chair or two, and a buttload of ultra-expensive acoustic treatments about the room and nothing else. What I have instead proposed here is about the total opposite of that, is much more inviting and convenient, and room for actual living as well, over some otherwise trendy looking system pulled from some eccentric hi-fi magazine cover. Even the off axis sofas on either side present a great experience.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
@shadyJ could these work okay in a guest bedroom setup combined with a sub on top of a dresser or TV stand for a guest that wants to just use there phone and play music or watch TV? I know they are designed kindoff for desktop setups but thought that might be a nice way to use this setup too as long as the volume isn't cranked of course.

I'm thinking it could beat out a lot of soundbars and subs combos which go for way higher at times in price.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
@shadyJ could these work okay in a guest bedroom setup combined with a sub on top of a dresser or TV stand for a guest that wants to just use there phone and play music or watch TV? I know they are designed kindoff for desktop setups but thought that might be a nice way to use this setup too as long as the volume isn't cranked of course.

I'm thinking it could beat out a lot of soundbars and subs combos which go for way higher at times in price.
Yes, you could easily use it for a dresser or TV stand situation. In fact, it is probably better suited toward that end. There aren't any soundbars that I know of that I would prefer over the MTM-100s.

S

Schrodinger23

Audioholic Intern
Given the axial difference, I would suspect the dip is due to the waveguide. Is it audible? I don't think so, given that it is such a high Q dip.

Larger monitors will have a wider dynamic range, so no surprise there. But the Kalis and monitors of that type are made for further listening distances (Kali specifies 2.8m for the LP-8). So they are engineered for different purposes. While you could use the Monolith MTM-100s at further distances than say, 1 meter, they won't punch as hard as something like the Kali speakers.

The MTM-100s are a better solution for someone looking for a simple plug'n'play solution. No need to add a DAC or pre-amp. They do everything out of the box; just hook up your source. Just a different class of product from powered monitors.
If these Monoprice speakers have so much extra headroom for a desktop speaker, could we just EQ the bass so that it extends flat (in room) down to 30 Hz, where they would be more of a full range speaker?

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If these Monoprice speakers have so much extra headroom for a desktop speaker, could we just EQ the bass so that it extends flat (in room) down to 30 Hz, where they would be more of a full range speaker?
I wouldn't EQ bass that low. The headroom really only extends to mid-bass frequencies. As you would imagine, this speaker has less headroom as frequencies decrease in bass. I wouldn't apply any boost to frequencies below 60Hz.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis