BIC Acoustech PL-300 Subwoofer Review

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
PL300 hero6.jpg
For many decades now, the BIC brand has been providing high-value speakers and subs for those looking for a lot of bang for their buck. The brand has been a fixture in its segment for so long that I was surprised to find out that Audioholics has yet to review any of their products. Thankfully, that will change today in our review of the PL-300 subwoofer. This medium-sized sub can be purchased from online retailers for a modest $450, a price point that is filled with competing subs. The PL-300’s distinguishing traits in this segment are its unusually low bass extension, its three-port variable tuning design, and its beefy 350-watt amplifier. It claims a solid 20Hz extension, which would be unmatched by anything else under $500. That is definitely something to get excited about for subwoofer shoppers on a tight budget, but the question we have to ask is how much does it deliver on these claims? How much output can it produce at such low frequencies? What is its performance like across the frequency spectrum? Let’s now dig in to find out…

READ:
BIC Acoustech PL-300 Subwoofer Review

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
For many decades now, the BIC brand has been providing high-value speakers and subs for those looking for a lot of bang for their buck. The brand has been a fixture in its segment for so long that I was surprised to find out that Audioholics has yet to review any of their products. Thankfully, that will change today in our review of the PL-300 subwoofer. This medium-sized sub can be purchased from online retailers for a modest $450, a price point that is filled with competing subs. The PL-300’s distinguishing traits in this segment are its unusually low bass extension, its three-port variable tuning design, and its beefy 350-watt amplifier. It claims a solid 20Hz extension, which would be unmatched by anything else under $500. That is definitely something to get excited about for subwoofer shoppers on a tight budget, but the question we have to ask is how much does it deliver on these claims? How much output can it produce at such low frequencies? What is its performance like across the frequency spectrum? Let’s now dig in to find out…

READ: BIC Acoustech PL-300 Subwoofer Review
@shadyJ fantastic review!!!! Before I could move up in the audio world I owned this subs previous iteration. And enjoyed it completely for what it was.

I am torn between this and the RSL speedwoofer mkII and I don't believe you could go wrong with either but due to my monolith T6 Encores ability to go deep I feel like this sub may be a slight favorite over the RSL for my needs in my bedroom setup.

I sold 2 of those towers to my friend because he needed a good 2.0 system and I can always buy more. I was planning on buying they're C6 encores and using them as a LCR vertical for a cleaner look in there. But trying to sell the last tower as a single even on the cheap is a huge pain in the butt!!! I just don't want towers in the bedroom anymore if I can help it.

So my plan is if I can sell the last T6 then the 3 Encore C6's vertical with the RSL for the higher midbass.

If I can't sell it then just buy a second T6 and a C6 vertical as a center and then 2 of these Bic subs as I could run the 2 towers full range and the c6 crossed over at 60 hz I'd imagine for a really smooth bass response.

Regardless thanks to your high quality reviews and excellent measurements I know how to move forward either direction I go!

Just outstanding work Shady!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I hear the towers for this Bic line get good reviews and I saw a site review that did measurements although they weren't as accurate as your measurements they did show some promise to those towers. It would be cool if you ever got a chance to measure those someday as well

D

digital911

Enthusiast
OK so I just bought two of these based on James's review.

They will be paired with a pair of Heco Aurora 1000's that he also reviewed. And a Celan Revolution 4 center.

I am hoping these subs shore up the bass on the Aurora's.

Now my room would be considered large, so I don't have high expectations.

I do have a PSA TV2112 on order but it won't come in until Feb 2023.

I purchased the BIC's from Amazon and have till end of Jan 2023 to return them which I likely will. But if they perform better than expected I may keep them.

X

XaVierDK

Enthusiast
OK so I just bought two of these based on James's review.

They will be paired with a pair of Heco Aurora 1000's that he also reviewed. And a Celan Revolution 4 center.

I am hoping these subs shore up the bass on the Aurora's.

Now my room would be considered large, so I don't have high expectations.

I do have a PSA TV2112 on order but it won't come in until Feb 2023.

I purchased the BIC's from Amazon and have till end of Jan 2023 to return them which I likely will. But if they perform better than expected I may keep them.
With two you get an additional 6dB of headroom, so you might very well get the output you're looking for. The TV2112 is a very different beast, but dual-sub is a definite advantage.

D

digital911

Enthusiast
With two you get an additional 6dB of headroom, so you might very well get the output you're looking for. The TV2112 is a very different beast, but dual-sub is a definite advantage.
If I like them I was thinking of keeping them and incorporating them into the mix along with the TV2112. How difficult would this be using an RX-A8A for the processor?

It only supports two independent subs and of course has the latest iteration of YPAO which has some bass control.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
If I like them I was thinking of keeping them and incorporating them into the mix along with the TV2112. How difficult would this be using an RX-A8A for the processor?

It only supports two independent subs and of course has the latest iteration of YPAO which has some bass control.
Imo ypao would totally fail at full integration. With a setup that complex, rew with a umik and minidsp is essential. Also. Imo, while the BIC’s are great budget subs the tv2112 is absolutely in a difficult class, and they will be thoroughly outpaced by the PSA, and will also limit the entire system as such. Not to mention the phase issues that will be present, are of the acoustic variety and not electrical so eq’ing will not be effective. In short, I would not mix them.

D

digital911

Enthusiast
Imo ypao would totally fail at full integration. With a setup that complex, rew with a umik and minidsp is essential. Also. Imo, while the BIC’s are great budget subs the tv2112 is absolutely in a difficult class, and they will be thoroughly outpaced by the PSA, and will also limit the entire system as such. Not to mention the phase issues that will be present, are of the acoustic variety and not electrical so eq’ing will not be effective. In short, I would not mix them.
Also are you saying that REW won't work with the Yamaha?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Also are you saying that REW won't work with the Yamaha?
No. What I meant say but failed at was, IF you were gonna try and integrate four subwoofers, rew would be mandatory. In the case of a single sub, I still recommend it to at least help finding the best placement and XO blend, but in order to implement any EQ filters based off of rew you need a minidsp. OTOH, you can try the manual EQ function in the Yamaha based off of rew measurements. And even though rew is free, you’ll still need a umik-1, or similar.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I may have to get one of these for my office.

Anything I've seen with this subs performance has about a $200 increase.

My JBL has been great, but it can't dig deep enough for me.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I may have to get one of these for my office.

Anything I've seen with this subs performance has about a $200 increase.

My JBL has been great, but it can't dig deep enough for me.
I think the BIC would make a nice upgrade.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Any BIC speakers for testing on the horizon as well?

T

Troy.

Audiophyte
A BIC product was reviewed before: the DV62si was included in a bookshelf comparisons test some years ago.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis