Perlisten R7t Floor-Standing Loudspeaker Review

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
R7t pair.jpg
We were floored by Perlisten’s debut with their flagship Signature speakers when we reviewed their S7t tower speakers (Perlisten S7t Review) and S4b bookshelf speakers (Perlisten S4b Review). They were spectacular speakers, but they were expensive. Perlisten recently expanded their less expensive Reference series (Perlisten Reference Series Preview) where the same overall design can be had but at a significantly less cost. Buyers give up some headroom, but the sound signature should be mostly the same. The Reference series is still pricey for ordinary audio shoppers, but it is roughly half the cost of the equivalent Signature speakers which puts them within reach of many more people.

In for review today are the Perlisten R7t tower speakers, the big boys of the Reference series; how much of the same sound of the mighty S7ts can you get for almost half the cost? Read our full review to see what we found.

READ Perlisten R7t Tower Speaker Review

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
It’s interesting that a relatively new company can make impressive speakers like this right out of the gate.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It’s interesting that a relatively new company can make impressive speakers like this right out of the gate.
As I recall, their design team is well practiced from many other successful ventures with other companies.
More impressive is they got the funding to do this… let’s face it, starting this venture had to be expensive!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Awesome write up, Shady! As always, thank you.

I am reminded of Tesla’s philosophy by your comment regarding starting at the high end and then working down toward affordable designs. This was Musk’s plan in starting with the high end Roadster, first, arguing that designing and building the absolute best vehicle they could and then translating that into less expensive models over time allowed the to refine technology that would otherwise keep designs prohibitively expensive as well as being able to strip away luxury refinements in a strategic way that wouldn’t feel like an afterthought. Building from Affordable mass market up would always be a matter of redesign and would risk adding too much.

Clearly this approach works!

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
We were floored by Perlisten’s debut with their flagship Signature speakers when we reviewed their S7t tower speakers (Perlisten S7t Review) and S4b bookshelf speakers (Perlisten S4b Review). They were spectacular speakers, but they were expensive. Perlisten recently expanded their less expensive Reference series (Perlisten Reference Series Preview) where the same overall design can be had but at a significantly less cost. Buyers give up some headroom, but the sound signature should be mostly the same. The Reference series is still pricey for ordinary audio shoppers, but it is roughly half the cost of the equivalent Signature speakers which puts them within reach of many more people.

In for review today are the Perlisten R7t tower speakers, the big boys of the Reference series; how much of the same sound of the mighty S7ts can you get for almost half the cost? Read our full review to see what we found.

READ Perlisten R7t Tower Speaker Review
Shady, if you had to take a guess, how do you think the R5i-LR in-wall speakers would compare to the R7t speakers? I realize this is apples to oranges because the in-walls have fewer woofers and no cabinet/ports. However, unless I'm missing something, the specs posted on the Perlisten website do not appear to show dramatic differences between the two. The bass extension is obviously reduced somewhat, but I doubt that this would be much of an issue for me because I'd run a pair of subs with them.

Obviously, I certainly understand if you'd rather not speculate. There are a lot of variables involved.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Nicely done, I'd love to get to listen to their products some time

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Shady, if you had to take a guess, how do you think the R5i-LR in-wall speakers would compare to the R7t speakers? I realize this is apples to oranges because the in-walls have fewer woofers and no cabinet/ports. However, unless I'm missing something, the specs posted on the Perlisten website do not appear to show dramatic differences between the two. The bass extension is obviously reduced somewhat, but I doubt that this would be much of an issue for me because I'd run a pair of subs with them.

Obviously, I certainly understand if you'd rather not speculate. There are a lot of variables involved.
I would think that the R5i would sound a lot like the R7t, at least if you ignore bass extension. The R7t will have more dynamic range in bass and deeper extension. The R7t will also maintain its vertical directivity control down to a lower frequency. Above the bass range, I would guess they would sound pretty much the same.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I think you asked the question the wrong way round. Why is there are some many companies that make mediocre and even awful speakers? As they say, this is not "rocket science" by a long shot.

Those are clearly very good speakers, with excellent phase alignment.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I would think that the R5i would sound a lot like the R7t, at least if you ignore bass extension. The R7t will have more dynamic range in bass and deeper extension. The R7t will also maintain its vertical directivity control down to a lower frequency. Above the bass range, I would guess they would sound pretty much the same.
Thanks!

I might be reading this wrong, but, given that this involves the off axis vertical responses, I think you may have meant "horizontal" instead of "vertical" here:

>>>That means there will be very few acoustic reflections from vertical horizontal surfaces, so again, this is a speaker that negates the need for acoustic treatments; there is no need for absorption or diffusion if there is nothing to absorb or diffuse.<<<

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks!

I might be reading this wrong, but, given that this involves the off axis vertical responses, I think you may have meant "horizontal" instead of "vertical" here:

>>>That means there will be very few acoustic reflections from vertical horizontal surfaces, so again, this is a speaker that negates the need for acoustic treatments; there is no need for absorption or diffusion if there is nothing to absorb or diffuse.<<<
Good catch! We will correct, thanks!

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Great review! Shady if they want to send the samples to my house to review permanently, I'm glad to help :)

Add these to the list for the future!

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
Perlisten is on a roll! Great looking measurements for R7t.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Perlisten is on a roll! Great looking measurements for R7t.
Well may be a quarter turn of a roll. For the cost of those speakers, they need a dealer network. They are really too big and heavy for trials at home and return.

So a dealer network is imperative. People need to be able to hear them and have a relationship with a dealer. That is now very difficult as the dealer will try and double the price with "funny wire."

Their UK agent for instance does not seem to even have a website.

It is one thing to design and build a first class speaker, and quite another to sell them in quantity. Without sales and soon, this will all be a "flash in the pan."

How many on this forum are in the market for any of those speakers? Especially to build a complete AV system with their cheaper line? Hands up now!

This is the huge problem as all this comes out of discretionary income.

In former times, and a long time ago now, speaker manufacturers were pretty much all OEM suppliers and encouraged and supported the hobby market of builders. as well as selling completed speakers.

I, for instance, would be really tempted to experiment with that mid/HF unit. I would remind them that in the early days of audio, both Wharfedale and KEF were in many ways sustained by the DIY market. I know for a fact they would have gone under without it. There were others.

The erroneous view came in that selling to the DIY market impeded complete speaker sales. That is the reverse of the truth. I know, as I was around then. The KEF constructor market was one of the underpinnings of KEF for many years. I know as Raymond Cooke lived near by and I knew him.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Well may be a quarter turn of a roll. For the cost of those speakers, they need a dealer network. They are really too big and heavy for trials at home and return.

So a dealer network is imperative. People need to be able to hear them and have a relationship with a dealer. That is now very difficult as the dealer will try and double the price with "funny wire."

Their UK agent for instance does not seem to even have a website.

It is one thing to design and build a first class speaker, and quite another to sell them in quantity. Without sales and soon, this will all be a "flash in the pan."

How many on this forum are in the market for any of those speakers? Especially to build a complete AV system with their cheaper line? Hands up now!

This is the huge problem as all this comes out of discretionary income.

In former times, and a long time ago now, speaker manufacturers were pretty much all OEM suppliers and encouraged and supported the hobby market of builders. as well as selling completed speakers.

I, for instance, would be really tempted to experiment with that mid/HF unit. I would remind them that in the early days of audio, both Wharfedale and KEF were in many ways sustained by the DIY market. I know for a fact they would have gone under without it. There were others.

The erroneous view came in that selling to the DIY market impeded complete speaker sales. That is the reverse of the truth. I know, as I was around then. The KEF constructor market was one of the underpinnings of KEF for many years. I know as Raymond Cooke lived near by and I knew him.
The closest dealer to me is a three hour drive. They stated that the R5i LR and C in wall speakers are $2995 each. I'm not sure I'd drop $9K without hearing them (I'd at least want to hear the R5Ms). $9k is in the realm of possible, but it's not chump change either, at least not for me.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The closest dealer to me is a three hour drive. They stated that the R5i LR and C in wall speakers are $2995 each. I'm not sure I'd drop $9K without hearing them (I'd at least want to hear the R5Ms). $9k is in the realm of possible, but it's not chump change either, at least not for me.
I think the chump change part goes for all of us. In addition there will be the cost of amplification. You won't drive those with a receiver.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just looked at the dealer list, to see how close/far away a dealer might be from me, and to see details for the dealer (none of the names mean anything to me) I'd need to sign up with Fidelity Imports for an account....that's an odd way to go about it....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis