Dirac Upmixer Better than Dolby or DTS for Car Audio?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The Swedish audio company Dirac Research has launched a modular, software-based audio platform designed to help car manufacturers deliver better performance from their OEM car sound systems. One key feature is Dirac’s new “intelligent upmixing technology,” which reportedly transforms ordinary stereo content by analyzing the signal and creating natural-sounding multichannel mixes in real time. Can Dirac outperform similar upmixers from Dolby and DTS? Will this new tech find its way into the home audio environment?

dirac.jpg

Read: Dirac Intelligent Upmixing Technology

Last edited:
M

mns3dhm

Enthusiast
There is serious money for audio companies in partnerships with automobile manufacturers. They see auto as the most significant revenue growth opportunity in years. The list of audio businesses chasing this is impressive - Harman (Revel), Bowers & Wilkins, Burmester, Krell, etc. Not sure how applicable EQ developed for cars will transfer to home environments where every room is different but I'm hopeful.

J

jeffca

Junior Audioholic
The biggest challenge to mobile audio is having speakers that don't suck that are properly installed in places where they won't suck.

As much as I respect Dirac, they can't fix that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Plus you need a head unit that can deal with it....how would it do with my four left and four right speakers up and down the length of my van? My head unit is just 2ch altho has multiple amp/preouts to use....and will you set it for the driver or passenger or in between?

A

Agiletiger

Audiophyte
Yeah, they don’t mention if it’s for aftermarket or not. I assumed aftermarket since there are new cars that offer Dirac. I’m very much interested if there is a way to add it aftermarket. I know miniDSP has a hardware implementation of Dirac, I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis