Why We Need to Go to Audio Trade Shows

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Going to a brick and mortar audio stores is becoming more difficult every year. However, even if you can't afford it, it's important to be blown away by awesome and out of budget audio systems at local audio trade shows. Not only do they sound amazing, but it gives you something to strive for in your own home system. You may even be able to work out a deal on showstock to take home with you.

rbh-shane.jpg

Read: How to Get the Most out of Audiophile Tradeshows

U

Uncle_Big_Green

Audioholic Intern
My first time to the RMAF was also the my last time in 2019. I'm both happy and sad. Happy I got to go. Sad that I can't go again.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, sure. Tease us with the possibility of scoring good deals and images of the SVTRS tower system! :p

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
In my experience, it would be rash to try to make judgments about sound systems from a setup at a trade show. If something sounds wrong, it could be a set-up issue or an acoustics issue, not an equipment issue. If something sounds right, it could be that the recording misses the system's flaws. There is usually no way to tell. Sometimes there is though, when a very glaring design flaw leads to a glaring sound signature.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Yeah, sure. Tease us with the possibility of scoring good deals and images of the SVTRS tower system! :p
Not all companies are willing to sell their demo equipment to curious end users because it may not be representative of the production models and some manufacturers have an agreement with a specific dealer for this gear if it is from production.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Back 'in the day' I used to enjoy RMAF, truth be told it gave me another reason to visit my son in Colorado !

I must admit the best experience was when the Martin Logan Owners group was hosted by Martin Logan in Lawrence, Ks 16 years ago. It was a 2 day event that also included a side trip to Salina, Ks and a visit with Chad Kassem of Acoustic Sounds and his Blue Note Studio. A memorable time for all music/audio fans !

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Anyone going to Axpona this month?
I'll be covering Axpona for Audioholics. If any Audioholics member is going, a lunch meet-up would be fun. Also if there was anything I ever said that has offended anyone, there would be a great opportunity for them to catch me and beat my ass!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'll be covering Axpona for Audioholics. If any Audioholics member is going, a lunch meet-up would be fun. Also if there was anything I ever said that has offended anyone, there would be a great opportunity for them to catch me and beat my ass!
Well I'm for sure going now. If for any reason to throw a 150 lb subwoofer at you! :p :p

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I could maybe see it from an industry point of view, never felt it was worth a trip to one....

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
Just you wait...you don't know what I look like...i know what you look like...that gives me an advantage when i launch at your ass like a 92 Stinger. :D

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I could maybe see it from an industry point of view, never felt it was worth a trip to one....
Honestly, I probably wouldn't bother going if it weren't local to me. Lots of nice systems and setups, but they all blend together after awhile...

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I don't know if it's the same situation in the US, but in Montreal, products are presented in hotel rooms mainly by store reps. Most of them don't know much about the stuff they sell. Of course, we get bullshit info from people selling for example FraudioQuest and Furutech products to name a few.

In the 1960-70's, it was quite different and a lot more interesting. Store reps knew the products then and could explain their features. You could meet manufacturer reps and company owners, where you were able to get clear and clever answers to your questions. Expensive audiophoolery stuff did not exist then. Times have really changed.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Honestly, I probably wouldn't bother going if it weren't local to me. Lots of nice systems and setups, but they all blend together after awhile...
I might go if one were reasonably close, but would probably laugh at much of the setups from what I've seen from reports over the years. Audiophilia isn't necessarily a positive thing.

highfigh

highfigh

I assume that you have been to Axpona before- do all of the displaying companies try to compete for SLP the way they did at CES? I hated going because of that. By 2PM, I just wanted to go home and I was wearing hearing protection unless I was in a place where I could actually listen, rather than be bombarded by high decibel crap.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Now that is a generous offer!

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I assume that you have been to Axpona before- do all of the displaying companies try to compete for SLP the way they did at CES? I hated going because of that. By 2PM, I just wanted to go home and I was wearing hearing protection unless I was in a place where I could actually listen, rather than be bombarded by high decibel crap.
myself and the years I attended RMAF I didn't feel that way at all. Granted there were some uber expensive set ups that didn't impress but on the same hand there were some very modest set ups that did. That combined with some good camaraderie made it a very good time.

highfigh

highfigh

myself and the years I attended RMAF I didn't feel that way at all. Granted there were some uber expensive set ups that didn't impress but on the same hand there were some very modest set ups that did. That combined with some good camaraderie made it a very good time.
How deep was the BS when you were there? I have lost all patience for that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis