Favorite Cover Songs and Why?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
A great song is a powerful tool and can be interpreted many different and entertaining ways. Cover songs can be equally powerful, meaningful, and a creative tool for a performer. While you might not own the songwriting, what if you are running low in the creative department and need an avenue to explore your musical prowess. We discuss the implications of the cover song and Why investors love owning the rights to various recording artists?

cover.jpg

Read: Wall Street Loves Music Publishing & the Cover Song

What are your favorite cover songs and did the artist make it their own?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai

Is probably one of my all time favorite covers, ever. I really like most of Disturbed's covers (Land of Confusion, Shout, etc.) and Type O Negative has had some great covers (Cinnamon Girl, Summer Breeze, Day Tripper)) over the years as well .

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
So much out there. The many early Rolling Stones covers of older songs always stand out for me.
One of my all time favorites is a cover of "Everybody Knows". Love her powerful voice towards the end.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Johnny Cash performing Mercy Seat

Tori Amos performing Real Men

Monophonics performing Bang Bang

I could do this for a while! :)

But let’s not forget one of the top covers of all time:
Jimi Hendrix performing All Along The Watchtower

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
Stevie Ray Vaughan's cover of Little Wing is still the all time greatest.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Stevie Ray Vaughan's cover of Little Wing is still the all time greatest.
Just sticking with the Concrete Blonde theme for a second, performing Little Wing:

And the Jimi Hendrix theme, Medeski Martin and Wood performing Hey Joe:

...And one more, non sequitur style… very NSFW; Ben Folds performing B!tches Ain't Sh!t:

Last edited:
SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
And this by one of my fav Canadian bands. The very underrated Cowboy Junkies. She defines the Smokey voice...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
So many to list, I am not sure where to start. IMO, a great cover keeps the flavor and is immediately recognizable as the original, but definitely feels like something new and identifiable as the artist doing it.

Probably my all time favorite cover is The Damned's cover of Love's Alone Again Or:

Deftones did a whole cover album with some great tracks. I liked this cover of The Cure's If Only Tonight We Could Sleep. I like the Cure. I like Deftones, so it it is a great mashup.

Godsmack doing Beatles - nice heavy twist

Great cover of Dream On by Blacktop Mojo. Again, great heavy twist

White Stripes doing Dolly Parton's Jolene - I was impressed by this one. Keeps a bit of the original feel, but really they make it their own too

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Self explanatory :) Johnny doing NIN's Hurt:

Pumpkins covering Landslide

Gary Jules doing Mad World - I was blown away by the use of this in Donnie Darko, just amazing cover

Yep, that was a cover. I also really liked the Marylin Manson re-cover of it.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I’ll contribute a few more and call it a day. :)

White Stripes performing Jolene:

The Kills performing Desperado:

One more from The Kills, homage a Lou Reed, Pale Blue Eyes:

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Don't know if anyone's an early REM fan. Below is a song list from a throw away album they released in 1987. It contains many covers they did live from their early days, including some Lou Reed, Aerosmith, and a cool version of King of the Road...

DLO REM.jpeg

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
A great song is a powerful tool and can be interpreted many different and entertaining ways. Cover songs can be equally powerful, meaningful, and a creative tool for a performer. While you might not own the songwriting, what if you are running low in the creative department and need an avenue to explore your musical prowess. We discuss the implications of the cover song and Why investors love owning the rights to various recording artists?

View attachment 54803

Read: Wall Street Loves Music Publishing & the Cover Song

What are your favorite cover songs and did the artist make it their own?
Dwight Yokum - Wichita Lineman
Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower
Richie Havens - Here Comes The Sun

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

This guy is weird, but basically most of his career is metal covers of other songs. Some don't work, but some are pretty fun:

Foos did a whole album of Bee Gees as "DeeGees" and they are surprisingly good

Last edited:
R

rjplummer

Enthusiast
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Aretha

Or Otis Redding (Respect's writer)

And then two (of many) great covers of Van Morrison
Sorry I can't find a better version of Jimi

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
My wife loves both the Shinedown "Simple Honest Man" and Disturbed "Sound of Silence" covers. I've heard her play both on youtube before.

When her last printer crapped out and she had to use my computer upstairs she called me at work to "remind" me how awesome my speakers were. I could hear the Disturbed cover playing in the background. Ha, I know, I know. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis