NAD C 399 vs M10v2 Integrated Amp: Which is the Better Buy?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
NAD’s new Classic Series C 399 integrated amp ($1,999) features tech previously found only in the brand’s more expensive Masters Series amps. The C 399 delivers 180 watts of nCore amplification, and its built-in DAC uses the same ESS chip as the brand’s flagship M33. The optional streaming module ($549) adds BluOS and Dirac Live.

As you might be able to guess by now, the C 399 is a more appealing prospect to me than the smaller, less powerful, and more expensive M10v2. Yes, I do appreciate the better styling, build, and materials quality on NAD’s Masters Series products, and if money were no object, I’d certainly be willing to pay for those luxuries. But if I were shopping with my own money and I needed an amp tomorrow, the C 399 would be higher on my list. The promise of future-proofed functionality is one of the most compelling reasons to buy an NAD, and the company has a 15-year record of making good on its promise to offer upgrades to aging products. Luckily, there are some other manufacturers that seem to understand the appeal of modular hardware. McIntosh’s new DA2 Digital Audio Module adds HDMI ARC and Dolby/DTS processing to a wide variety of existing integrated amps, receivers, and preamps from the company. Schiit Audio’s flagship Yggdrasil DAC is “completely modular and fully upgradable,” allowing the user to take advantage of advancements in USB implementation, analog board design, and more. MSB’s super-high-end DACs also follow a modular design ethos, which allows for future updates, along with easier product support and repair. If you ask me, there is no other feature or technology buzzword that can make an audio product as appealing as the knowledge that it can evolve along with your needs and the changing technological landscape. NAD is one of only a few companies making reasonably-priced gear with the promise of future hardware updates, and that makes it a winner in my book.

nad c399.jpg

Read: NAD C 399 Integrated Amp vs M10v2

E

Even Harmonics

Audiophyte
Too bad. This had the potential to be a great product if only they had finished it. The half baked sub out implementation is a non starter for me. With a little extra effort, they could have included a proper cross over. The variable LPF for the sub is a weak attempt and does not lend itself well to 2.1 setup if you want it done properly. Instead we get this after thought sub out cobbled on to the unit. No wonder why so many people think integrating a sub for stereo is so problematic. Yet, manufacturers keep pumping out the same poor designs. Next.

flak3

flak3

Enthusiast
Too bad. This had the potential to be a great product if only they had finished it. The half baked sub out implementation is a non starter for me. With a little extra effort, they could have included a proper cross over. The variable LPF for the sub is a weak attempt and does not lend itself well to 2.1 setup if you want it done properly. Instead we get this after thought sub out cobbled on to the unit. No wonder why so many people think integrating a sub for stereo is so problematic. Yet, manufacturers keep pumping out the same poor designs. Next.
This is for NAD to answer but I think that the C399 (as well as the M10) will support the Dirac Live Bass Control and in that case, DLBC will take control of the crossover.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis