Buy AV Gear Now before China War with Taiwan?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Audioholics President Gene DellaSala doesn’t like it when I talk politics, but I do it when I have to, and this is one of those times.

Too many AV enthusiast websites are so milk toast and advertiser ass-kissers that it makes me sick as a former publisher in the industry. Somebody has to tell you, the home theater and audiophile buyers of the world, the truth and how it might affect your system. Today, that guy is me (Jerry Del Coliano).

On the fence about buying new AV gear??? With tensions rising all around the world, now may be the BEST time to invest in new technology for your home theater system. Find out why in our editorial, but be warned, you might not like what you read.

boxes.jpg

Read: Buy AV Gear Now Before China War with Taiwan?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Well that was depressing. I know this is a bit deep but the human race is truly a disgrace. We have been given the honor to be the planets only "intelligent" life and this is what we do with it? This is how we choose to conduct ourselves? Wars and misery? We are shitty to each other, shitty to the planet, shitty to the animals that we are supposed to share this planet with. I'm not sure the human should even go on if this is how we behave.
By the way I'm not sure we are technically "intelligent" life. I need more convincing.

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Well I just hung the noose in the bathroom and am preparing to go out before all that. I know this is a bit deep but the human race is truly a disgrace. We have been given the honor to be the planets only "intelligent" life and this is what we do with it? This is how we choose to conduct ourselves? Wars and misery? We are shitty to each other, shitty to the planet, shitty to the animals that we are supposed to share this planet with. I'm not sure the human should even go on if this is how we behave.
By the way I'm not sure we are technically "intelligent" life. I need more convincing.
Your just playing about the hanging part bro. Tell me you are. Humans can be pretty sh$Itty but they can be amazing as well. A break from the news and the politics and just only looking at what's wrong helps me. You have to pay attention to this world and current events but also a break time with your family your community and looking at the good instead of focusing on the bad helps a lot. Theres still a lot of good out there. Don't forget that. Anyways PM me and let me know your alright. We talk in the threads here and there and your a real stand up person. Im just looking out.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Your just playing about the hanging part bro. Tell me you are. Humans can be pretty sh$Itty but they can be amazing as well. A break from the news and the politics and just only looking at what's wrong helps me. You have to pay attention to this world and current events but also a break time with your family your community and looking at the good instead of focusing on the bad helps a lot. Theres still a lot of good out there. Don't forget that. Anyways PM me and let me know your alright. We talk in the threads here and there and your a real stand up person. Im just looking out.
Oh yeah sorry, humor or sarcasm is tough to convey in written form. The rest is from me for real.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Well that was depressing. I know this is a bit deep but the human race is truly a disgrace. We have been given the honor to be the planets only "intelligent" life and this is what we do with it? This is how we choose to conduct ourselves? Wars and misery? We are shitty to each other, shitty to the planet, shitty to the animals that we are supposed to share this planet with. I'm not sure the human should even go on if this is how we behave.
Humans are only a few percent of difference in DNA from a chimpanzee. If you zoom out your perspective a bit, I would say we are an interesting experiment from evolution, maybe not a successful one in the long run, but still, what a bizarre and interesting aberration we are. We are apes that can throw protons together at near-light speeds to see what pops out, and we have devices that can relay images of the early universe. The barbarism and unenlightened behavior is par for the course for a primate, so not much disappointing as expected. Self-reflection, curiosity, and consideration are what should be regarded as surprising coming from a product of natural evolution. A sober consideration of our origins and place in the tree of life should lead to a positive appraisal; who would have expected a bag of water, protein, and lipids to develop art and science and philosophy?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Per the article, I think the current events surrounding the invasion of Ukraine is, if anything, a discouragement of China from invading Taiwan. China may be looking at the world's reaction to Russia and asking itself if it wants to endure similar ostracization. China already has real problems with its image for so much of the world, and an invasion of Taiwan would exacerbate that to a much greater degree. It would also inflame internal dissent, and I am guessing that the most important thing for the Chinese government is the ruling political party's control over their own country. A costly invasion and collapsed economy jeopardize that.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I'm just extremely, and I mean extremely down, can get any lower down on the human race. It is honestly getting worse by the minute my pessimism of humanity. We do not treat each other right, we hate each other over the most frivolous reasons, we are terrible to the planet and we are awful to our animal friends the world over.
I'm sorry I'm so dark but this is what I see. Yes, there are great things going on, but it's more bad than good. We just had our second son and I'm literally thinking what did we bring this little guy into and why? I'm a hypocrite because honestly, the world, the planet would be better off without us.

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Audioholics President Gene DellaSala doesn’t like it when I talk politics, but I do it when I have to, and this is one of those times.

Too many AV enthusiast websites are so milk toast and advertiser ass-kissers that it makes me sick as a former publisher in the industry. Somebody has to tell you, the home theater and audiophile buyers of the world, the truth and how it might affect your system. Today, that guy is me (Jerry Del Coliano).

On the fence about buying new AV gear??? With tensions rising all around the world, now may be the BEST time to invest in new technology for your home theater system. Find out why in our editorial, but be warned, you might not like what you read.

View attachment 54417

Read: Buy AV Gear Now Before China War with Taiwan?
Gene, great article in the sense of writing and delivery. I couldn't agree more with what you stated. This world is crumbling fast and I feel its not just the AV industry that's going to suffer from it. I honestly am on the fence on purchases and have been since the beginning of Covid. I can say, I still am on that fence as I am unsure what could and will happen globally.

Perhaps holding on to my monies for an extended amount of time might be the better answer considering all the possibilities.

I'm no conspiracist, nor am I a fear mongrel but war is blatant and as for my current audio setup, it is working, I guess.. Just dated; so I may just want to play it safe and wait a few years to see what happens... That's just me and my opinion, im sure other scenarios are different and can afford to pull the trigger on purchases in a blink of an eye and without remorse. Me, I'm thinking I should play it safe though.

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
I'm just extremely, and I mean extremely down, can get any lower down on the human race. It is honestly getting worse by the minute my pessimism of humanity. We do not treat each other right, we hate each other over the most frivolous reasons, we are terrible to the planet and we are awful to our animal friends the world over.
I'm sorry I'm so dark but this is what I see. Yes, there are great things going on, but it's more bad than good. We just had our second son and I'm literally thinking what did we bring this little guy into and why? I'm a hypocrite because honestly, the world, the planet would be better off without us.
I hear you and agree. I don't want to turn this into a religious thing but personally I put my faith in Christ. This world is terrible and it is sad where it is going..

B

brian6751

Audioholic Intern
Gene is right, leave the politics out of it. Or at least stick to the facts and not inject additional and unnecessary crap. This article comes off as political propaganda masquerading as a A/V article. Plenty of other places to go for that. My $.02

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Oh yeah sorry, humor or sarcasm is tough to convey in written form. The rest is from me for real.
As many comedians have said, "If I have to explain the joke to you, it means that it didn't effing work".

Not to be all 'Care Bear', but to someone who has known roughly 30 people who committed suicide, that's really not funny. In a conversation with others where you have the chance to laugh immediately after saying something like that, the delivery is very different.

Carry on, Montescue.

highfigh

highfigh

If those Central American countries actually gave a crap about their citizens, they would have found a way to grow their GDP and employ people, but some some governments in those countries are too corrupt and greedy to do it. They're foisting their problems off on the US and that eliminates the cost of caring for them in their own countries. Then, the ones who emmigrate to the US get jobs and send money to people in their home countries. In 2015, remittances exceeded the money they got from oil revenue-

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
I hear you loudly. My brother and I have these conversations about the what we are doing to the planet, each other, and it can easily drive you into a mental down trend. He is especially susceptible to it. Coming off of 2 years of lockdowns, fear, and horrible news cycles is a big factor. You just had a kid, congrats!, your primal instincts are kicking high now(as well as preconception) and that only magnifies your sense of responsibility.

I tell my bro when falling into a down trend, to think locally and focus on things you can control. Do the best you can with the choices presented each day. When you go to the gas station, try to make someone smile with a good natured joke or comment, etc, If you're in a store and see someone confused about something you may know about, give them a advice or a hand. (i.e., I do this when I am in Home Depot and see a lost soul. The most common response, "thanks, I don't run into people that like to help much". By helping others you are helping yourself. Good combo.

As for the state of humanity as a whole, well that's another kettle of fish. Different things may work to knock you out of a slump. Find the most beautiful piece of music you have and sit back and think that only a human could have created it. Something classical usually fits. Same with your favorite book or movie, especially comedies. Strangely, in a down spin a few years ago, I saw two movies around the same time that knocked my perspective back into gear, "Cloud Atlas" and "Oblivion". Something else may do it for you.
If you are really up to it, try "Life of Brian".

Enough ramblings maybe this helps..

highfigh

highfigh

Gene is right, leave the politics out of it. Or at least stick to the facts and not inject additional and unnecessary crap. This article comes off as political propaganda masquerading as a A/V article. Plenty of other places to go for that. My $.02
International business IS political- the two are inseparable.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
As many comedians have said, "If I have to explain the joke to you, it means that it didn't effing work".

Not to be all 'Care Bear', but to someone who has known roughly 30 people who committed suicide, that's really not funny. In a conversation with others where you have the chance to laugh immediately after saying something like that, the delivery is very different.

Carry on, Montescue.
I hear ya, I've known quite a few people myself. A dear friend last year lost his wife and then committed suicide. He was the absolute life of the party too. Losing his wife was just too much. He was only 50 too. What a fun guy, I miss him very much.
I apologize if I offended anyone, I do get it.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
If those Central American countries actually gave a crap about their citizens, they would have found a way to grow their GDP and employ people, but some some governments in those countries are too corrupt and greedy to do it. They're foisting their problems off on the US and that eliminates the cost of caring for them in their own countries. Then, the ones who emmigrate to the US get jobs and send money to people in their home countries. In 2015, remittances exceeded the money they got from oil revenue-

The worse thing that ever happened to those countries was being colonized by the Spanish Empire. Downhill ever since.

highfigh

highfigh

I tell others that people disappoint me and they say that I'm just being negative. No, I'm just observing reality.

People suck- surround yourself with the good ones and it's not so bad. If you can't change something, don't worry as much. Your last line is absolutely true but look at the good things people have done before jumping off of the ledge.

highfigh

highfigh

I hear ya, I've known quite a few people myself. A dear friend last year lost his wife and then committed suicide. He was the absolute life of the party too. Losing his wife was just too much. He was only 50 too. What a fun guy, I miss him very much.
I apologize if I offended anyone, I do get it.
The president of my graduating class in high school jumped because he didn't make it into law school and his family had a lot of lawyers. Two of the others from high school had gotten into more trouble than they could handle- one was the reaction to his friend doing it not long before. They had been with third friend in a park when the first one ended his life, the second ended his with that same third friend, who was recently found dead in a motel room. The first two happened more than 40 years ago- I knew all three but I would only consider the last as a decent guy.

highfigh

highfigh

The worse thing that ever happened to those countries was being colonized by the Spanish Empire. Downhill ever since.
And the people from Mexico, Central & South America are so proud to be from those countries, too, acting like they have every right to come to the US by any means- legally, or not. I can't begin to count the number of times I have heard activists yelling that the SW part of the US was part of Mexico, but nobody asks them what it was called before the Spanish & Portuguese came and decimated their people and about the languages they would have been speaking if history had been different. I see lines of cars with flags from other countries flown proudly, as if they were back home.

For clarity- this isn't a rant about illegals, I have worked on many jobs with trades people from South of the US border and from other countries. Others were working in a more domestic role and the common thing about them- they have all been nice, hard working people whether they were here legally, or not. A few were good, hard workers and nice at the job, but their personal lives were a train wreck- booze & drugs, getting in fights and other criminal activity were somewhat common among them.

highfigh

highfigh

When you go to the gas station, try to make someone smile with a good natured joke or comment, etc, If you're in a store and see someone confused about something you may know about, give them a advice or a hand. (i.e., I do this when I am in Home Depot and see a lost soul. The most common response, "thanks, I don't run into people that like to help much". By helping others you are helping yourself. Good combo.

As for the state of humanity as a whole, well that's another kettle of fish. Different things may work to knock you out of a slump. Find the most beautiful piece of music you have and sit back and think that only a human could have created it. Something classical usually fits. Same with your favorite book or movie, especially comedies. Strangely, in a down spin a few years ago, I saw two movies around the same time that knocked my perspective back into gear, "Cloud Atlas" and "Oblivion". Something else may do it for you.

If you are really up to it, try "Life of Brian".

Enough ramblings maybe this helps..
WRT the first sentence, I do that all the time and often, the other person laughs and thanks me because they were having a bad day. Sometimes, people come to me to ask questions and I'm not wearing anything that would make me look like I work there, but since I go to some places so frequently, I look like I know where I'm going and they don't bother to read the signs at the ends of the aisles. That's OK, it doesn't take long to get them where they need to be.

The last scene of 'Life of Brian' needs to be watched by more people. About 40 years ago, I was pretty volatile. Some would say I was insane, but hey- tomato, tomoto....I was in mid-rant (I obviously thought it was justified) and one of the guys at work said "Look at it this way- four or five million years from now, who'll know the difference". I laughed and that ended the rant. After reading a book about handling stress, I made the decision that I would no longer freak out over the little things, especially if I have no control over them. I may vent while I drive, but that's where it ends.

Better to laugh it off.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis