S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
VLOT close up.jpg
There is a great divide in audio today that features two camps: lifestyle systems and audiophile systems. Lifestyle audio systems prioritize convenience over sound quality, whereas traditional audiophile systems do quite the opposite. The speaker system that we are reviewing today, the Starke Sound VLOT, attempts to bridge the gap between lifestyle audio systems and performance-centered audio systems. It is a traditional loudspeaker design at a glance but has the convenience and simplicity of regular Bluetooth speakers and soundbars. It is a speaker system that has a built-in amplifier, pre-amp, and Bluetooth receiver. It is not a large speaker which makes it palatable for many buyers, but it bears signs of serious loudspeaker design. So the question that it poses is can we have the best of both worlds: simplicity and convenience as well as a true high-fidelity sound? Let’s dig in to find out…

READ: Starke Sound VLOT Loudspeaker Review

Last edited by a moderator:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Thank you, Shady!
I agree with your insights into what are drawbacks in this design. It seems they are so close to getting it across the line yet willfully made some questionable choices in bringing it to market.
Cheers!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you, Shady!
I agree with your insights into what are drawbacks in this design. It seems they are so close to getting it across the line yet willfully made some questionable choices in bringing it to market.
Cheers!
Well put man. I agree. I like the direction they're going but using passive crossovers instead of active dsp and lack of bass management is definitely a missed opportunity. I personally would be willing to pay a little bit more for those features. Lots of potential for a design like this tho, just needs to be executed a little bit better.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
It is a pity this was not a better design. It is interesting that they chose a passive crossover because of noise issue.

I have now have quite a bit of experience with active speakers now.

There is an S/N issue that I have mentioned before. The best amps produce some noise. Most bass/mids have cone break up at some point and the aim is to cross before cone break up and the resulting peaks. So at the break up point the driver has an increase in sensitivity. This can and often does make amp noise audible, that would otherwise be filtered out by the passive crossover. So if you direct connect and amp to a driver with significant cone break up peaks, you will hear noise that you would not have heard with a passive design. So my practice is to place a notch filter between amp and driver, tuned to the break up peak. I can assure that does the trick perfectly and filters out noise that is easily audible without the notch filter.

I find it really hard that people fail to understand that this is often an essential part of active speaker design.

Quad 909s are very quiet amps. However direct connected to bass drivers, the hiss reproduced by the break up peaks is audible at the listening position. After installing notch filters between the amps and their connected drivers, there is absolute silence.

This should not be difficult to understand, nor its solution.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis