Marantz Streaming Integrated Amp: Audiophile Grown Up?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Marantz has thrown down the gauntlet. The MODEL 40n puts the audiophile world on notice that you can have pristine two-channel audio, vinyl playback, streaming media, and an earth-shaking movie experience from a single, drop-dead gorgeous, integrated amplifier worthy of the Marantz name and heritage.

With an beefed up amp section based on the PM8006, the MODEL 40n is rated at 70wpc @ 8 ohms and 100wpc @ 4 ohms. There is a lot of features to get excited about, like HDMI connectivity with ARC support, streaming built in for high res audio support, home theater bypass mode, and a subwoofer output with bass management.

Marantz invited Theo Nicolakis out to see the MODEL 40n first hand and to hear it in two different demo scenarios.

model40.jpg

Read: Marantz MODEL 40n First Impressions

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have never been able to find any bench test on the lower end Marantz PM series integrated amps, such as the PM6000 and 8000 series. It is not just AH, there seem to be done measured anywhere period, not even Stereophile, SoundStageHifi or ASR. Any chance Audioholics will bench test one this year?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I didn't buy the model 30 because it didn't have a DAC. I picked up the Denon PMA-1600 which I really like. The aesthetics are a bit lacking. The Marantz has that in spades. If it gets Roon certification I may have to check it out.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I didn't buy the model 30 because it didn't have a DAC. I picked up the Denon PMA-1600 which I really like. The aesthetics are a bit lacking. The Marantz has that in spades. If it gets Roon certification I may have to check it out.
Really? I would never buy an integrated amp that include DAC(s) because I don't want to pay more for their typically mediocre dac chips and not implemented with high quality Opamps etc. External ones cost less, better specs, and you can choose your own to buy. But then that's why the saying ymmv:)

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Really? I would never buy an integrated amp that include DAC(s) because I don't want to pay more for their typically mediocre dac chips and not implemented with high quality Opamps etc. External ones cost less, better specs, and you can choose your own to buy. But then that's why the saying ymmv:)
I get that. I just am looking for a one box solution that is roon certified. My setup sounds so good to me right now I would really have to hear a difference to change. If I could put that face on the Denon product I would be a happy guy.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I get that. I just am looking for a one box solution that is roon certified. My setup sounds so good to me right now I would really have to hear a difference to change. If I could put that face on the Denon product I would be a happy guy.
What's the highest resolution Roon offers, and do they do DSD as well? You just have to make sure the integrated amp you choose can handle all those, not for sound quality but for playability.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
What's the highest resolution Roon offers, and do they do DSD as well? You just have to make sure the integrated amp you choose can handle all those, not for sound quality but for playability.
Yes. I'm not sure how the whole MQA unfolding bs works. I have a few MQA albums and they play as well. They pretty much do it all:

Enjoy up to 768kHz/32-bit PCM and DSD512 (stereo and multi-channel) in WAV, WAV64, AIFF, FLAC, ALAC (Apple Lossless), DFF, DSF, OGG, MP3, and AAC.

Right now I have a Raspberry PiZero2W running RoPieeee as my endpoint and the USB DAC on the Denon supports high resolution up to 11.2-MHz DSD and 384-kHz/32-bit PCM input signals.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes. I'm not sure how the whole MQA unfolding bs works. I have a few MQA albums and they play as well. They pretty much do it all:

Enjoy up to 768kHz/32-bit PCM and DSD512 (stereo and multi-channel) in WAV, WAV64, AIFF, FLAC, ALAC (Apple Lossless), DFF, DSF, OGG, MP3, and AAC.

Right now I have a Raspberry Pi2W running RoPieeee as my endpoint and the USB DAC on the Denon supports high resolution up to 11.2-MHz DSD and 384-kHz/32-bit PCM input signals.
Thank you, so you know what I am getting at obviously..:)

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
That's a beauty!

Integrated amps should have been featuring HDMI sound like 10 years ago. I hope this starts a trend.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Thank you, so you know what I am getting at obviously..:)
I do. The USB actually does higher resolution on this than the coax and optical. At this point with all my fun with Raspberry Pi's I would probably just get a HAT DAC that does all I need. I just don't have any music at those resolutions so at this point I am not losing anything. (At least to my ears).

T

tparm

Audioholic
Interesting no balanced inputs if not a digital only device. It's pretty but I can't see where it fits in the modern interpretation of integrated amps; Lyngdorf, NAD, etc. are digital only and include room correction, Yamaha (and others I assume) makes an analog only.... The Marantz seems to try an ride the fence of both at a lower price point by excluding Audyssey and the aforementioned balanced ins (or ability to be a pre only). Just kinda weird.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'll never understand the pedestals integrated amps generally are put on. This one has some modern features, but the amp section for this price seems lacking.

M

mjcmt

Audioholic
Marantz-Model-40-Top-off.jpg

40n looks nice for sure w/ a substantial isolated dac.

For $800 I've been intrigued w/ Yamaha's R-N803 network receiver.
yamaha-yamaha-r-n803-wireless-multi-room-hi-res-music-streamer-stereo-receiver-network-amplifi...jpg

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
View attachment 53923
40n looks nice for sure w/ a substantial isolated dac.

For $800 I've been intrigued w/ Yamaha's R-N803 network receiver.
View attachment 53924
Between the two I would definitely take the Yamaha. It is a little more powerful and have better audio specifications for the most part except the Marantz may be quieter but unless one wants to hear the noise by getting within inches from the amp, both should be quiet enough.

The R-N803's sub out is far superior, capable of 4 V output, vs the Marantz 40's anemic:
SUBWOOFER OUT: 220 mV (from the Owner's manual), hopefully that is a typo.

The Model 40 has an HDMI input that the R-N803 does not have.

The Model 40's power toroidal transformer look so small, it looks like their marketing team wants to boost the weight spec by using think and heavy heatsinks.;)

For 1/3 the price the R-N803 is a no brainer imo.

S

sterling shoote

Reading about the 40n I thought I've read this months ago. Actually, it seems this amp has a feature set very similar to my Marantz NR1200 2.1 Receiver, which is in one word MAGNIFICENT in all manner magnificent can be discerned. I inherited the Marantz from my mother-in-law and had ZERO expectations from it but nevertheless made room for it within my stereo/multi-channel audio system in a preamp role. HDMI input, Airplay, 2.1 output, MM phono input, and DSD DAC mean I can access recorded music from ALL sorts of sources from vinyl to SACD, yet it's not those features that most impress, it's the sound quality, absolutely on par to my 2.1 Parasound P6 however now preferred over the P6, since the P6 does not have an HDMI input or Airplay. At any rate, reading about the 40n I am speculating it must be like the $700 NR1200 on steroids. For sure, I cannot imagine anything better in a preamp/DAC role than the NR1200, so this new 40n in pre/power role must just be awesome. One more thing, while my NR1200 only has a low pass filter to accommodate a subwoofer I find that bass is easily integrated and I would expect similar results from the 40n.

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

I can tell you this for sure, my $700 Marantz NR1200 2.1 Receiver has a DSD DAC which is in one word Superb, easily on par with my Parasound P6 and OPPO-205 DACs. So, I'd expect a great sound coming from the 40n's DAC too. At any rate, what impresses most is the 40n's HDMI input permits play of stereo SACD DSD output from the Sony UBP-X800Mk2. I imagine that this connection would get all there is from a Stereo SACD to get, since my lowly NR1200's DAC processes DSD as well as my Parasound P6 and OPPO-205. BTW, what external DAC are you acquainted with which has an HDMI input?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I can tell you this for sure, my $700 Marantz NR1200 2.1 Receiver has a DSD DAC which is in one word Superb, easily on par with my Parasound P6 and OPPO-205 DACs. So, I'd expect a great sound coming from the 40n's DAC too. At any rate, what impresses most is the 40n's HDMI input permits play of stereo SACD DSD output from the Sony UBP-X800Mk2. I imagine that this connection would get all there is from a Stereo SACD to get, since my lowly NR1200's DAC processes DSD as well as my Parasound P6 and OPPO-205. BTW, what external DAC are you acquainted with which has an HDMI input?
I read your posts on that before, that's good for you. But if you had read my previous posts, you would know that I prefer external DAC are: a) For the ability to play more variety of files in terms of bit rate, bit depth, sampling frequencies, b) For better value, integrated amps typically (there are exceptions of course) take advantage of people who has the tendency to believe more on marketing info and internet hearsay and would likely be willing to pay more for those build in DACs, and c) For flexibility and portability. They is of course not a factor except to those who have multiple systems in the same home.

So it is an easier way for them to maximize profit margin but incorporating relatively low cost DACs.

As far as the NR1200's being in par with the Oppo-205's, that is expected if you are comparing in direct mode using analog input, because while the Oppo or even the P6 (but again my comments are not about sound quality) have more impressive specs, considering 99% of the users would make claims based on only subjective reviews by others or their own so we will get a good spectrum of opinions.

The fact is, you can get a low cost (below $150 for sure, some cost less..) external DAC that can play any files you can buy from the likes of HDTracks.com, NativeDSD.com and a few others. The P6's are slightly limited that way, and the NR1200 even more limited.

My dedicated external DACs don't have HDMI connections. I do have a Sony BDP and two (Oppo and Denon) universal players to play SACD, though I rarely use them as I find it much easier, therefore more enjoyable to play files I purchased from HDtracks, NativeDSD and a couple other ones. I do have quite a collection of SACDs/DVDAs mostly collecting dust.

Edit: must have typed it on my mobile phone and without glasses, had to fix a few thing so hopefully it is now at least comprehensible.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I read your posts on that before, that's good for you. But if you had read my previous posts, you would know that I prefer external DAC are: a) For the ability to play more variety of files in terms of bit rate, bit depth, sampling frequencies, b) For better value, integrated amps typically (there are exceptions of course) take advantage of people who has the tendency to believe more on marketing info and internet hearsay and would likely be willing to pay more for those build in DACs, and c) For flexibility and portability. They is of course not a factor except to those who have multiple systems in the same home.

So it is an easier way for them to maximize profit margin but incorporating relatively low cost DACs.

As far as the NR1200's being in par with the Oppo-205's, that is expected in you are comparing in direct mode using analog input because while the Oppo or even the P6 but again my comments are not about sound quality, especially considering 99% of the users would make claims based on only subjective reviews by others or their own.

The fact is, you an get a low cost (below $150 for sure, some cost less..) external DAC that can play any files you can buy from the likes of HDTracks.com, NativeDSD.com and a few others. The P6's are limited, and the NR1200 even more limited.

My dedicated external DACs don't have HDMI connections. I do have a Sony BDP and two (Oppo and Denon) universal players to play SACD, though I rarely use them as I find it much easier, therefore more enjoyable to play files I purchased from HDtracks, NativeDSD and a couple other ones. I do have quite a collection of SACDs/DVDAs mostly collecting dust.
People have different opinions for sure. Just curious to know which part(s) we disagree on?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
That's a beauty!

Integrated amps should have been featuring HDMI sound like 10 years ago. I hope this starts a trend.
They could have accomplished the same thing with a little black box and not caused a major repair requirement if the HDMI fails.

Oh, wait- stripping analog audio from HDMI was illegal! All because Hollyweird doesn't want people copying their crappy movies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis