TCL 85" 8K QLED TV's starting at $1600?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
TCL’s affordable 6-Series TVs will be all 8K in 2021. The Chinese company beat the competition off the starting line with the world’s first mini-LED TVs, and then made that tech more attainable by trickling it down to its popular midrange 6-Series TVs in 2020. For the 2021 6-Series, TCL ups the ante by going all in for 8K. The TCL lineup for this year also includes a trio of 85-inch TVs and an improved mini-LED backlighting system.

odzero.jpg

Read: TCL 8K TVs for 2021

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I have last year's 75 inch 6 series and it's amazing for 1,400 bucks. Beyond anything I expected.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

RobVFX

RobVFX

Audiophyte
I owned this TV for 2 weeks. After doing some calibration, it's nothing compared to an OLED. Returned for an LG 77" Oled. Picture on that is MUCH sharper and color is insanely better than this TCL product for the same money.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I owned this TV for 2 weeks. After doing some calibration, it's nothing compared to an OLED. Returned for an LG 77" Oled. Picture on that is MUCH sharper and color is insanely better than this TCL product for the same money.
You found the 77" LG OLED for $1600!?!?!

Seems highly unlikely, the lowest I have seen it yet is $3000.

PLEASE post a link to this screaming deal.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
You found the 77" LG OLED for $1600!?!?!

Seems highly unlikely, the lowest I have seen it yet is $3000.

PLEASE post a link to this screaming deal.
Yeah I read this yesterday and didn't even want to comment because 1,600 for a 77 inch old is no way. TCL is a budget LED full array, it shouldn't be in the league of OLED. I have the 75 inch 6 series from last year and it's excellent. Is it as good as OLED, no and it shouldn't be, couldn't be.

RobVFX

RobVFX

Audiophyte
Yeah I read this yesterday and didn't even want to comment because 1,600 for a 77 inch old is no way. TCL is a budget LED full array, it shouldn't be in the league of OLED. I have the 75 inch 6 series from last year and it's excellent. Is it as good as OLED, no and it shouldn't be, couldn't be.

The 85" TCL XL is $3000. That's what I purchased. In fact, I then replaced it with the CX LG OLED for $2800. I saved a bit of money and the picture is so much better. To qualify my "better" statement...
I do Visual Effects on major motion pictures and handle my own calibrations since I deal with color day in and day out.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The 85" TCL XL is $3000. That's what I purchased. In fact, I then replaced it with the CX LG OLED for $2800. I saved a bit of money and the picture is so much better. To qualify my "better" statement...
I do Visual Effects on major motion pictures and handle my own calibrations since I deal with color day in and day out.
Ok, at ~$3000 that makes more sense, and I agree completely--Get the OLED! I was going by the title of this thread which said $1600.

I have the 65" LG OLED, got it for around $1700 and couldn't be happier. I'm also a huge fan of the LG Magic Remote.

RobVFX

RobVFX

Audiophyte
I have the 65" LG OLED, got it for around $1700 and couldn't be happier. I'm also a huge fan of the LG Magic Remote.
I use the logitech harmony for all my remote needs. I have too much gear :)
I am a sad panda that Logitech discontinued that product line. It's awesome. The substitutes are just unfortunate, requiring professional installers, etc.

If I were given a choice between the 65" OLED and the 85" TCL, I would pick the OLED instantly. The picture quality is so dramatically better. It's not even fair.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Oh now it makes more sense. OLED 77 inch at 3 grand is starting to get into the realm of affordable. They are absolutely gorgeous TV's. That's what I'm gonna work on getting next time. When they hit the 2,500 dollar mark I don't think I'll be able to stop myself from hitting the buy button.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Oh now it makes more sense. OLED 77 inch at 3 grand is starting to get into the realm of affordable. They are absolutely gorgeous TV's. That's what I'm gonna work on getting next time. When they hit the 2,500 dollar mark I don't think I'll be able to stop myself from hitting the buy button.

For the 65", my magic number was <$2k. I think I ended up paying $2k, but it came with a $300 Crutchfield gift card. Regardless, it hit my magic number and I jumped on it!

For the 77", I say may magic number is $3k, and we are there. Mostly, I have just been lazy. To make the jump to 77", I really want to wall-mount it, and my 65" is currently just on an AV center/cabinet. So, when I'm ready to deal with the wall mounting and rebuilding my system, I will make the upgrade to the 77".

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I use the logitech harmony for all my remote needs. I have too much gear :)
I am a sad panda that Logitech discontinued that product line. It's awesome. The substitutes are just unfortunate, requiring professional installers, etc.

If I were given a choice between the 65" OLED and the 85" TCL, I would pick the OLED instantly. The picture quality is so dramatically better. It's not even fair.
Agreed on the pic quality, and the shadow detail is amazing too. Remember that episode of Game of Thrones where everyone complained that it was just a black screen? Well, I could easily see everything happening in that episode.

See post #10, I'm ready to move to the 77", just been lazy about it.

And, back to that magic remote, it works so well and is so easy to teach house-guests how to use it, I really don't ever want any other remote for the living room / shared areas. Yeah, if I had loads of gear in there the magic remote would likely become a bottleneck. I just have the LG TV, a Denon AVR, a cable box, and an XBOX ONE.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
OLED looks great at first, but they will get dimmer over their life. The lifespan has improved with current tech, but it will still happen.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Well I definitely want a 77 inch or bigger OLED. Now I see them in 83 inches. 77 is probably perfect for most. TV's though bigger truly is better especially with these high resolutions, 4k and 8k.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well I definitely want a 77 inch or bigger OLED. Now I see them in 83 inches. 77 is probably perfect for most. TV's though bigger truly is better especially with these high resolutions, 4k and 8k.

My next tv is gonna be an 85", tho 83" is close enough I s'pose. I know I can get better quality for the price, but the one I have now is 75" and it's still a little bit undersized for my viewing distance of 15'. I sit far enough away that any increase in quality is lost because the screen would be too small. It might be a while tho. My magic number is so low it might as well be literally magical... lol.

ALTHO... $1600 is getting pretty damned close!

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
My next tv is gonna be an 85", tho 83" is close enough I s'pose. I know I can get better quality for the price, but the one I have now is 75" and it's still a little bit undersized for my viewing distance of 15'. I sit far enough away that any increase in quality is lost because the screen would be too small. It might be a while tho. My magic number is so low it might as well be literally magical... lol.

ALTHO... $1600 is getting pretty damned close!
Yeah man bigger is better and if you think you need one size go over size bigger. I had a Sony LCD, yes LCD from way back that was 52 inches, 1080p and I wanted to go up to 4k HDR and all that stuff. Got a 55 inch Sony X900E and guess what, it looked tiny, smaller than the 52 inch. 65 would have been perfect. We moved to a new house and I said, unt ah, not this time so went to 75 inch it's excellent, love it but now I want 85 inches. I'd definitely like a 77 inch OLED even though smaller than what I want at 85 inches but it's freaking OLED! I'll take it. I love my TCL though 75R635. Plenty bright, nice HDR and Dolby Vision. It's got quirks but at 1,400 bucks for a 75 inch with performance like this I'll deal with it.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah man bigger is better and if you think you need one size go over size bigger. I had a Sony LCD, yes LCD from way back that was 52 inches, 1080p and I wanted to go up to 4k HDR and all that stuff. Got a 55 inch Sony X900E and guess what, it looked tiny, smaller than the 52 inch. 65 would have been perfect. We moved to a new house and I said, unt ah, not this time so went to 75 inch it's excellent, love it but now I want 85 inches. I'd definitely like a 77 inch OLED even though smaller than what I want at 85 inches but it's freaking OLED! I'll take it. I love my TCL though 75R635. Plenty bright, nice HDR and Dolby Vision. It's got quirks but at 1,400 bucks for a 75 inch with performance like this I'll deal with it.

I paid $699 for my TCL 4 series a couple years ago. The 6 series was out of my price range for the size, but I did think they were really pretty good. If I'd had the money at the time I woulda gotten the 6 series for sure, but I was pleasantly surprised with the one I got. I've always lagged behind on TVs. I'm always pinching from the tv budget to have more for audio.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I paid $699 for my TCL 4 series a couple years ago. The 6 series was out of my price range for the size, but I did think they were really pretty good. If I'd had the money at the time I woulda gotten the 6 series for sure, but I was pleasantly surprised with the one I got. I've always lagged behind on TVs. I've always pinched from the tv budget to have more for audio.
A few years ago I wouldn't have been caught dead with a TCL because I just thought it was junk. Then my father in law got a 65 inch 5 series and totally changed my mind. It was amazing for the price. It replaced a giant 80 inch Vizio which has major issues and died just over a year and then Costco replaced it and that one died fastly quickly. That changed my mind if Vizio and TCL at the same time.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You know, I'd MUCH rather have an 85" 4k tv and pay less over an 8k tv. I mean can you really tell the difference? Sit far enough away, like my case, and I don't think anyone could realistically tell the difference. Maybe someone who's trained and knows what to look for might be able to tell, but seriously. Is there really a significant difference?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
You know, I'd MUCH rather have an 85" 4k tv and pay less over an 8k tv. I mean can you really tell the difference? Sit far enough away, like my case, and I don't think anyone could realistically tell the difference. Maybe someone who's trained and knows what to look for might be able to tell, but seriously. Is there really a significant difference?
Heck no, no need for 8k. Just a good 4k TV with excellent HDR/Dolby Vision. Great black levels for excellent contrast and now you have something.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis