Should Home Theater Embrace Gaming to Save the Industry?

Should Home Theater Stores Embrace Gaming?

• Yes. It will take gaming to the next level and get the young generationinterested into home theater.

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • No. The kids are all right.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • What for? I'm still rockin 8 bit Commodore 64 and Coleco.

Votes: 6 20.0%

• Total voters
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
There is no stopping the video game industry at this point. Kids are raised on games. Older Gen Xers like me are also fond of gaming at some level or other, be it vintage games, mobile games, or today’s most cutting-edge titles.

Global revenues from the video game business is expected to be up 20 percent by the end of 2020 to nearly $180,000,000,000. Say that out loud… “one hundred eighty BILLION dollars,” and try to not sound like Austin Powers.

So how does the home theater industry cash in on this exploding trend?

gaming.jpg

Read: Home Theater Stores Should Embrace Gaming

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
This is not an embrace like peanut butter and jelly, bacon and eggs, or Scotch and soda. It's a forced embrace. It it were not true then we would already have a marriage. What home theater manufacturers should be embracing is Apple Music's Spatial Audio (Dolby ATMOS). And, music producers should embrace putting out Dolby ATMOS music onto UBD's.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Calling gaming for "e-sport" cracks me up. I've done much gaming over the decades but I've never thought about it as a sport.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Calling gaming for "e-sport" cracks me up. I've done much gaming over the decades but I've never thought about it as a sport.
I don't know, I have seen people get pretty lathered up when playing a rollicking round of Xaxon or Petris. Tank isn't quite as exciting.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
This is not an embrace like peanut butter and jelly, bacon and eggs, or Scotch and soda. It's a forced embrace. It it were not true then we would already have a marriage. What home theater manufacturers should be embracing is Apple Music's Spatial Audio (Dolby ATMOS). And, music producers should embrace putting out Dolby ATMOS music onto UBD's.
IMO (take with a grain of salt) - This is the thinking that kills an entire industry.

Nearly half of people who I hear from who want to buy a projector consider lag time and support for video gaming as a major factor in their decision. These aren't 13 year old kids, these are full grown adults with some money to burn on what is, for sure, a luxury item. This luxury item often going into a dedicated space in a home worth tends of thousands of dollars in real estate value, plus the equipment that goes into it.

There are FEW manufacturers who have actively reached forward to the gaming industry and it's insane because those who have done so, are almost immediately getting recognition from the major players in the gaming markets. YouTube channels which get millions upon millions of views a day, are touting very specific products which are reaching out with gaming support. The Sony 850h with HDMI 2.1 support and 120hz refresh rates for game systems. The LG GX/CX OLED displays with the same support. BURN IN? Not even mentioned! The fact is that these TVs with gSync and other gaming support features built in are almost a throw away addition in terms of cost to the display, but make them incredibly valuable to the gaming industry opening up those products to that multi BILLION dollar industry.

Audio quality?

WHO GIVES A F'K????

Gamers may care about audio, and they may get there if they don't already, but most are wearing bluetooth headsets and talking a mile a minute on Discord. But, the monitor in front of them needs to have the lowest input lag it can and needs to deliver frames to photons with 120hz+ refresh rates. In testing, the ability of OLED to do this in a manner that trounces the best LCD displays is pretty incredible and emphasizes how spending that money can really be good for competitive gamers.

So, if you have someone who thinks that this is 'being forced upon them', then you are bound to lose.

This is an amazing opportunity that should be embraced for the push forward that billions of dollars can deliver. Better sound and better graphics with high frame rates and incredibly high graphical details is an opportunity to merge and reap. To take advantage of that industry in a manner that is incredibly lucrative and gives gamers who want to watch some Netflix a great way to do so. The potential to have USB connectivity, or thunderbolt ports on a TV may not be a first step, but certainly publishing lag time, including features that better gaming monitors have, and remaining price competitive is a huge deal.

Acer or Asus may not be a top name when you think of home televisions, but Sony isn't really a brand that gamers would think of when they want a top tier gaming monitor.

If I were a television manufacturer, I would push to put at least one of my large format displays into the 'monitor' section of stores with a focus on how it can act as a monitor, and how it's an excellent gaming monitor. I wouldn't want it off with the other TVs if I can capture the gaming segment and develop a name brand that is synonymous with great gaming. I would still want it over with the other large format displays, for sure, but a TV which is developed with inclusion of gamers, doesn't forsake the roots of excellent movie and television playback, it just enhances it with excellent video quality. Which is highlighted by just how well OLED displays have been tested with gaming setups. The best TV by most reviews, also packs a secondary punch with how it delivers on gaming.

Yet, with the millions, and potentially billions in sales which this market can deliver, there is still a group that thinks this is being 'forced' upon them. It's kinda crazy to me.

I'm not a huge fan of LG, but I think that they have done a better job than almost any other company at embracing and leveraging their products designs across multiple divisions. They have solid computer monitors, top tier displays, and they are unique (?) in fully leveraging their Smart functionality into a projector, then combing it with wireless speaker technology of the highest level. They are a manufacturer who is embracing, and it doesn't feel forced, it feels like they are reaching out to get more business, more money, and deliver what people want and will pay for. Bravo to them.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I don't know, I have seen people get pretty lathered up when playing a rollicking round of Xaxon or Petris. Tank isn't quite as exciting.
One can get pretty lathered up by watching TV and channel hopping, wouldn't call it a sport, though.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
A resounding “yes,” here.
While I’ve had many gaming systems over my lifetime (ye olde 2600, original NES with the robot and light gun, SNES, PS I-IV, some version of an X-Box, Wii, a couple renditions of GameBoy…), it was the PS3 bundle with Metal Gear Solid when we also stepped into the “future” with our first flat screen 1080p and an Onkyo HTIB.
Out went the old Sony CRT, Sony Stereo Receiver and old Rat Shack Optimus Speakers.
I was in heaven!
But it was also a double edged knife that cut deep…
As amazed as I was at Surround Sound, the HTIB was flat and lifeless with music. So in this age of iPods, I turned away from listening and enjoying music the way I always had centered around that old Sony.
Fast forward to 2018 when I upgraded my entire system from that old Onkyo HTIB.
Just, Wow!
I know I’m not the only person that has gone through this progression, even if you take the consoles out of the equation.
But gaming with a properly set up surround field blew me away.

In my mind, gaming is an entertainment industry, and with the use of a single HDMI cable, you are able to plug in and go just like with any other digital device.
Either way, it seemed until SU and Yamaha went face first into the 2.1 mud in 2020 that video games were an afterthought in the market. However, the latest gen of consoles drove the release of 2.1. (For better or worse! :p )
Regardless, the production efforts behind blockbuster releases on a console deserve the same respect as film and music often get. More continuity in connecting whole home entertainment is a win across the overall entertainment industry, of which our beloved audio is a part.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I voted yes, although, a well implemented 2, or 2.1 system, near field, 'is' surround sound.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It only makes sense to. There's lotsa gaming dollars floating around out there and I can totally see gamers geeking out over gear tailored for the hobby. I've been saying forever all I need is a monitor anyway. Right now that's all it is, is a glorified monitor. I don't use any of the "smart" features on my tv.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Why not? :) I have only the WII and Switch so don’t need the latest HDMI features quite yet.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not a gamer at all, but this makes more sense to me than much of audiophilia does now :)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Well, like any hobby, there are those who are casual about their interest and those who are very serious about it. Some PC gamers don’t consider consoles to be serious gaming machines and some home theater enthusiasts don’t consider gaming consoles to be serious disc players and streamers.

With the PS3 and XBOX 360, it was the gaming console trying to marry itself to home theater enthusiasts. The PS3 had a blu-ray drive and the XBOX 360 an available HD DVD USB connected drive. I enjoyed having both of them but the original PS3 60g was just a beast!

The Playstation and XBOX consoles might better be considered entertainment consoles. I’ve not purchased a new console in many years but still enjoy playing now and then on a large screen. TVs just keep getting better at displaying game content.

Surround sound saved my life many times over a few years playing Gears of War online as the 7.1 speaker setup connected to my old Denon alerted me of many dangers. I personally don’t believe Bioshock should be played on anything but a large screen with a surround sound setup in the dark. TF2 is still my favorite game and I’ll enjoy playing it on my XBOX 360 until one of us dies.:p

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Old stereotypes die hard.

The video game industry brings in more revenue than professional sports. The video game industry also brings in more revenue than Hollywood. It's gone far beyond pimply kids playing Atari, even though a lot of people see it that way.

That said, I don't know how to tie high-end audio into the hardcore gaming scene. For casual gaming, music and sound effects might be good for immersion, but many "pro" or hardcore gamers turn off all sound except for the bare minimum needed to hear environmental or "tell" sounds and communications from team members. It's not something conducive to high-end audio.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
There's a serious difference between competitive gaming and casual entertainment. ;) I would much rather relax and enjoy my gaming environment with the highest quality audio I can have.
Besides, I find this trend towards Massive Multiplayer Online worlds uninspired and avoid them accordingly. I'll take the lone path through Skyrim, Fallout, and GTA any day. :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It's not all about the audio. I think that part of it really is pretty good. I feel like more focus on the video side, like refresh rates and lag that gamers wanna see. Dump all of the smart features and put the r&d dollars into performance.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
The majority of gaming is not done by people who care about the audio quality or surround capabilities. And while we like to think of console or PC as gaming platforms, the majority of actual games being played are largely on mobile. Consoles had to expand to being media playback devices to keep themselves relevant and not just becoming further niche. PC is utilitarian so it will just adapt to whatever. I don't see big audio being a thing for future of gaming at all. People who care about that are already doing it. It's not going to change the other majority who simply cannot do it. They don't have the physical space for big speakers. They don't have the budget for big speakers. They don't have ability to crank said big speakers up, as most people simply live on top of each other in apartments and coop living, etc (think global). This is why headphones are such a big thing in gaming, not speakers. Headphones give the best quality for cost in terms of audio playback, minus all the major hurdles needed for benefiting big surround speaker setups.

Home theater is doing well. Home theater will likely continue to do well the more people are inclined to stay home and stream with multi-channel support.

Very best,

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
There is no stopping the video game industry at this point. Kids are raised on games. Older Gen Xers like me are also fond of gaming at some level or other, be it vintage games, mobile games, or today’s most cutting-edge titles.

Global revenues from the video game business is expected to be up 20 percent by the end of 2020 to nearly $180,000,000,000. Say that out loud… “one hundred eighty BILLION dollars,” and try to not sound like Austin Powers.

So how does the home theater industry cash in on this exploding trend?

View attachment 48841

Read: Home Theater Stores Should Embrace Gaming
No, not for HT, gamers will ruin this hobby. I'm already seeing it in the display market. We're in the era of throw-away TV. Those gamers care less about video quality and more about gaming features. We can't allow millennials to dictate the course of the HT market for gaming considerations. Those kids that games don't care anything about audio, they demand multiple HDMI 2.1 ports on TVs when there's a great chance there will never be more than 2 games consoles that require HDMI 2.1 on the market at the same time.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Well, like any hobby, there are those who are casual about their interest and those who are very serious about it. Some PC gamers don’t consider consoles to be serious gaming machines and some home theater enthusiasts don’t consider gaming consoles to be serious disc players and streamers.

With the PS3 and XBOX 360, it was the gaming console trying to marry itself to home theater enthusiasts. The PS3 had a blu-ray drive and the XBOX 360 an available HD DVD USB connected drive. I enjoyed having both of them but the original PS3 60g was just a beast!

The Playstation and XBOX consoles might better be considered entertainment consoles. I’ve not purchased a new console in many years but still enjoy playing now and then on a large screen. TVs just keep getting better at displaying game content.

Surround sound saved my life many times over a few years playing Gears of War online as the 7.1 speaker setup connected to my old Denon alerted me of many dangers. I personally don’t believe Bioshock should be played on anything but a large screen with a surround sound setup in the dark. TF2 is still my favorite game and I’ll enjoy playing it on my XBOX 360 until one of us dies.:p
Yeah, but most A/V enthusiasts would rather have high-quality UHD players over gaming consoles. Stuff like Dolby Vision, Atmos, DTS-X is poorly implemented, if implemented at all, on gaming consoles.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
No, not for HT, gamers will ruin this hobby. I'm already seeing it in the display market. We're in the era of throw-away TV. Those gamers care less about video quality and more about gaming features. We can't allow millennials to dictate the course of the HT market for gaming considerations. Those kids that games don't care anything about audio, they demand multiple HDMI 2.1 ports on TVs when there's a great chance there will never be more than 2 games consoles that require HDMI 2.1 on the market at the same time.
What?? The gamers I know (including myself) care very much about video quality! I bought my first HDTV because I got a Xbox 360. It was the first device that did anything in HD for me and I wanted to see what all the hype was about. Most of my tv buying decisions since then were centered around gaming so I can see what's on screen better. Larger displays, better refresh rates, color depth, accuracy and high definition mean a lot to us gamers!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I hear you @Auditor55, but if players like the ones put out by Oppo disappear altogether, some may have to turn to consoles as an option. Why anybody from Apple, Microsoft and Sony didn't get onboard to bitstream EVERYTHING from the get go is mind boggling to me though. While consoles improved audio performance because of home theater audio improvements, TVs improved in video quality and capability in no small way because of gaming and you cannot blame manufactures for wanting to sell more TVs. The best OLED models for gaming are hardly throw away products. If receiver manufacturers can ever get a handle on HDMI 2.1 inputs and output, gamers would not need more than one HDMI input on the TV for the receiver and they would not be forced to use ARC/eARC or optical outputs to get sound to the receiver. I think it's a little much to blame millennials when far too many boomers are still tuning into standard def channels when watching on 4K TVs and using all channel stereo mode on their receivers.;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis