Focal 300 Series In-Wall Speakers with Box Speaker Performance?

TheoN

TheoN

Audioholics Contributing Writer
Focal's 300 series architectural speakers are designed from the ground up for music or cinema aficionados. Featuring a Flax cone and Focal's signature inverted dome tweeter, the Focal 300 Series delivers reference performance for aesthetically demanding spaces. We took the Focals for a spin in a complete 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos and DTS:X configuration. Each speaker in the 300 series sports a true, tool-less design with the company's patented EQI (Easy Quick Install) system. The EQI system is a blessing for installers and DIYers alike.

Focal-300-inwall.jpg

The clamping design makes installation a literal snap. The clamping mechanism differs slightly between the in-wall speakers and in-ceiling speakers. The in-wall models have large, spring-loaded plastic arms that clamp the speaker on the left and right side. The mechanism is super-simple to use. Simply lock the clamps in place and once the speaker goes into the Sheetrock, the spring activates, clamping the speaker in position. If you need to pull it out or adjust the speaker's horizontal or vertical alignment, there are nylon straps on the top and bottom face of the speaker. Simply pull on the top and then the bottom band and bingo, the speaker will come out without any hassle.

image_preview.jpg

Focal’s 300 series consists of two in-wall and four in-ceiling models. Every model has an impedance of 8 ohms and the sensitivity ranges from 88-92 dB. Every model is very easy to drive—perfect for a zone amp or an AVR-powered home theater. If you are of the opinion that you can't have a superb immersive audio experience with architectural speakers, then the Focals will disabuse you immediately of any such bias. I found the Focals to be outstanding performers with just about any material I threw at them.

focal-300-series.jpg

If you've been boxed into an aesthetic battlefield and feared that turning to architectural speakers would mean compromising that audio experience you love, then fear not: You can indeed have reference-grade sound from an in-wall speaker. Focal's 300 series architectural speakers are worthy of Focal's legendary brand.

READ the Focal 300 Series In-Wall Speakers Review

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Nice to see a Focal speaker being reviewed by Audioholics!

I get that you were wowed by the tool-less installation system, it seems like a great innovation that makes in-wall installation easier (which often means the end result will be a more "perfect" installation)! However, did you realize that the Pros and Cons do not include a single mention of audio/sound performance? That seems like an oversight for an Audioholics review, and I wonder if you might want to revisit and make mention of SQ pros and cons!

I am wondering if in-walls will become more common in the future. Atmos is driving more people to do in-ceiling installations and once you are going in-ceiling, going in-wall no longer seems like foreign territory. Right now, I think I'd want my front three to be normal boxes, but I could definitely see using an in-wall speakers like these Focals for my surrounds!

Last, A4L has some decent discounts on Focal refurbs. The full 5 year warranty is provided on the refurbs (at least the ones I glanced at):

Of special note is the Focal Electra IW1002Be 6.5" discounted from $2200 down to $800!

Edit: There is only one IW1002Be available:(

Last edited:
G

Gibberish

Audiophyte
Great review. Lots of good information!

Had a question on the two enclosures you built. I have a similar issue with my center channel location and studs running right where I would install a speaker. Can you provide more details and maybe pictures of what you did? Did this just extend the depth or did you convert the in-wall to on-wall?

M

Mike_s

Enthusiast
Nice review. Very close to buying these for my HT. I am quite confused whether I can straight away plonk them with plenty of air volume behind them. You mentioned that these are open to air, some other forums mention that as per Focal the volume of air needs to be between 30 and 80 liters. I do have much greater than that and no option to modify this cavity to reduce the volume. No response from Focal as yet. From the pictures in the review, I do see a large cavity. Hoping to hear from you soon. Thanks and stay safe.

B

BadgerMaster

Audiophyte
New here, from UK. 1st post.
Thanks for the review.
Upgrading my home music/AV system from low starting point (12 year old Q-Acoustics Q-AV 7.1, with Sony DA2400ES AVR)
Have just bought pair revel m105s for L&R, and SVS SB1000 pro sub (although prob going to return sub & get the SB2000 pro or SB3000).

Looking for a new centre as next part of upgrade. wondering if @TheoN, or anyone else in the know could advise whether the Focal 300 IW6 LCR would fit bill, please. in terms of sonic integration, for HT and esp for multichannel music. As well as passing WAF test. Would be fitted into (now unused/bricked-up) chimney breast, below the TV. Total Newbie wrt in-wall speakers. Would I need to seal the space behind it?

Other centre suggestions greatfully recieved. Revel C208 to £££ and too big. C205 only for 2-way and prefer 3-way, but on short-list. Infinity speakers not available in UK. What ever I get will need to be recessed back on wall to project no further than TV (about 3").

Thanks in anticipation.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis