Onkyo TX-SR383 7.2-Channel AV Receiver Inflates Power but Not Price

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The TX-SR383 AV receiver from Onkyo provides a choice of native 7.2-channel soundtrack reproduction, or a 5.2-channel surround-sound layout with powered audio distribution to a pair of stereo speakers in Zone 2 . Rated at 155 W/Ch it seems like an amazing deal for just $400! Read on to find out why the devil is in the details and you may not be getting all those watts you think you are.

onkyo.png

Read: Onkyo TX-SR383 7.2-Channel AV Receiver Inflates Power but Not Price

G

Gary Parkerr

Audiophyte
I really liked what you said about the power ratings game in av receivers. I used to own a Onkyo receiver, but switched to separates. I will listen to you guys over anyone else before i purchase audio equipment. You are very knowledgeable in all aspects of electronics. Keep it up.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
The power rating @ 1kHz, 6 Ohms, 10% THD is used by many brands including Denon. Once 1 brand does it the others follow to stay competitive since so many AVRs are purchased on-line by less informed consumers based upon a max power spec.....

Here is a link to a comparable Denon 730H....

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avrs730h

Just my $0.02... ;)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
wait till you see my FTC article about this coming soon ;)
Gene..
Keep in mind that in today's global markets, power output specifications shown in brochures and websites apply throughout the world not just North America....
And in Europe they use other terms including DIN power..

Basic situation has been out of control for many, many years..:D
But at least the major audio brands provide both the stretched BS specs along with the real world for (2) channels driven....:cool:

Just my $0.02... ;)

Stanton

Stanton

Audioholics Contributing Writer
Get to the truth!
I hate inflated amplifier specs...not to mention altered definitions of "immersive sound".

E

Ernie Schmuntz

Junior Audioholic
The TX-SR383 AV receiver from Onkyo provides a choice of native 7.2-channel soundtrack reproduction, or a 5.2-channel surround-sound layout with powered audio distribution to a pair of stereo speakers in Zone 2 . Rated at 155 W/Ch it seems like an amazing deal for just $400! Read on to find out why the devil is in the details and you may not be getting all those watts you think you are.

View attachment 23847

Read: Onkyo TX-SR383 7.2-Channel AV Receiver Inflates Power but Not Price
I bought in to an Onkyo for upstairs room. It has the same power rating as my Pioneer VSX-59txi. It weighs 16 lbs or so. The Pioneer is about 80lbs. “If it’s heavy, then it’s expensive so put it down.” seems good advice when shopping.

The Onkyo couldn’t hit 160 watts unless I put up a lightning rod, and took a direct hit. It’s a piece of junk. The Pioneer Elite could be weapon. They all seem to be going to light weight throw-away in receivers these days (Sigh)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I bought in to an Onkyo for upstairs room. It has the same power rating as my Pioneer VSX-59txi. It weighs 16 lbs or so. The Pioneer is about 80lbs. “If it’s heavy, then it’s expensive so put it down.” seems good advice when shopping.

The Onkyo couldn’t hit 160 watts unless I put up a lightning rod, and took a direct hit. It’s a piece of junk. The Pioneer Elite could be weapon. They all seem to be going to light weight throw-away in receivers these days (Sigh)
Not exactly a valid comparison. The Onkyo retails for $400 vs your old Pioneer at $4000. The Onkyo is one of their lower end models, the Pioneer a flagship model. The Onkyo was rated at 155 w/ch at 6 ohm but only one channel driven at 10% THD. The Pioneer 160w/ch at 6 ohm but all 7 ch (and borne out by bench testing it looks like, even tho they didn't provide a 6 ohm rating particularly). You do have to dig into specs, the Onkyo claim on the product page of 155w/6ohm yet only 80w/8ohm screams that something's wrong, and borne out when you pull down the spec tab but that at least gives you more info: 155 W/Ch (6 Ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD, 1 Channel Driven), 80 W/Ch (8 Ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.08% THD, 2 Channels Driven, FTC).

E

Ernie Schmuntz

Junior Audioholic
Not exactly a valid comparison. The Onkyo retails for $400 vs your old Pioneer at $4000. The Onkyo is one of their lower end models, the Pioneer a flagship model. The Onkyo was rated at 155 w/ch at 6 ohm but only one channel driven at 10% THD. The Pioneer 160w/ch at 6 ohm but all 7 ch (and borne out by bench testing it looks like, even tho they didn't provide a 6 ohm rating particularly). You do have to dig into specs, the Onkyo claim on the product page of 155w/6ohm yet only 80w/8ohm screams that something's wrong, and borne out when you pull down the spec tab but that at least gives you more info: 155 W/Ch (6 Ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD, 1 Channel Driven), 80 W/Ch (8 Ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.08% THD, 2 Channels Driven, FTC).

I picked the Pioneer up for 200.00. In my mind, I payed much more for the new Onkyo. I have an old Denon AVR3300. It’s very similar in specs, but the sheer brute umph is so much better. I ran a Nakamichi for 18 years before anything. I would buy a new one in a heartbeat if I could. I just expected a bit more from Onkyo.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sometimes used can be better than new. Onkyo these days....meh.

hk2000

hk2000

Junior Audioholic
No argument here. Onkyo used to be the best when it came to power capabilities, those days are gone. As someone mentioned, all you need to do is look at the unit's weight. My Onkyo Pre/Pro is over 30 pounds, which is heavier than many of today's 7.1 receivers.
My only issue is with this publication's insistence that Onkyo was the one leading the way here- they all do it and contrary to Audioholics' claims, not only did Onkyo not start this trend they were actually the last to follow that trend. If any one did, it was Yamaha, who kept coming up with higher and higher power ratings in lighter and lighter receivers- Here's an Audioholics article from a few years ago.

hk2000

hk2000

Junior Audioholic
I advise anyone buying a home theater receiver to check out Sound&Vision AV receiver reviews- they always include their own measurements of the receiver's power section, so you can easily compare any 2 receivers you're considering.
Here's an example of 2 receivers:

Two channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 104.7 watts
1% distortion at 135.3 watts

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 77.0 watts
1% distortion at 106.6 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 75.3 watts
1% distortion at 97.8 watts

Read more Here
-----------------------------------------------------------and

Two channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 123.0 watts
1% distortion at 147.6 watts

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 97.6 watts
1% distortion at 106.1 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 72.7 watts
1% distortion at 80.8 watts

Read more Here

One of these is a Yamaha and one is an Onkyo. Guess which is which, and guess which was a "Gotta Have It" and which was Pretty cool? Not to mention, the ONKYO is cheaper.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis