SVS 4000 Series Subwoofers Offer Significant Gains Over Models They Replace

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
SVS just released a new series of subs. The 4000 Series features a sealed version, a ported version, and a cylindrical version. Pricing starts at $1500! Wow! They look very impressive. Here is a link:

https://www.svsound.com/pages/4000-series

Things are really looking good for those in the need for some sub woofage! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe I've been snoozing, but looks like they have a new Plus series (no sealed sub, to date) and got rid of the Ultra-13's?!

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Maybe I've been snoozing, but looks like they have a new Plus series (no sealed sub, to date) and got rid of the Ultra-13's?!
It looks like these are updates for the old Ultra 13 line, with a new amp and feature set (digital display, phone app, etc). I don't think SVS has done anything with the old Plus series for a while now.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
first time I ever browsed their website, very nice line up of goodies !

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well that’s a Surprise. Awesome!!! I’m officially volunteering to review a pair of those new PC’s. No doubt they will destroy my 12pluses.

Last edited:
F

Foxrox

Junior Audioholic
Looks pretty nice, but at that price for the PB-4000 it’s competing with the likes of Captivator 1400. Can it keep up?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
It looks like these are updates for the old Ultra 13 line, with a new amp and feature set (digital display, phone app, etc). I don't think SVS has done anything with the old Plus series for a while now.
Yeah, but the new amp has a bit more power too. Not exactly sure how that translates in terms of output, but it never hurts to have more power. Lots of competition in the $1500 price range though. For example, dual Hsu ULS 15 MK2 for $1500 (plus shipping)would put up a very good fight for the all new SB4000 inmho. Sure would make for an interesting comparison. Of course, the ULS 15 MK2's would also cost a bit more overall due to shipping. Maybe Shady can get around to doing such a comparison eh? :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yeah, but the new amp has a bit more power too. Not exactly sure how that translates in terms of output, but it never hurts to have more power. Lots of competition in the $1500 price range though. For example, dual Hsu ULS 15 MK2 for $1500 (plus shipping)would put up a very good fight for the all new SB4000 inmho. Sure would make for an interesting comparison. Of course, the ULS 15 MK2's would also cost a bit more overall due to shipping. Maybe Shady can get around to doing such a comparison eh? :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
Audioholics will be doing a review of the 4000 subs, I don't know which and to what extant exactly at this point. I know that if I do any reviews, they won't be until the spring, since it is too cold to test anything during winter on my end.

If you want to see what a dual sub can do against some other model, just take the measurements for a single unit and add 6 dB on all of the max output measurements, both burst and long-term testing. If you want to see what a triple sub configuration does, just add 9.5 dB. If you want to see a quad sub setup can do vs a single, just add 12 dB. For a five sub setup, add 14 dB.

Dual ULS-15 mk2s would be a very good system. Quad ULS-15 mks would be a beast. Adding 12 dB onto its CEA-2010 numbers makes for a monster system. Looking at something that could equal that, I checked data-bass for its top sealed subs. A quad ULS-15 mk2 system performs on par with a JTR Captivator S2 in deep bass, and exceeds it a bit in mid bass. It also costs about the same. Quad ULS-15 mk2s outperforms the Funk 21.0SW. It outperforms the Rockford Fosgate 19" $2.5k super driver on Ricci's 20 kW amp. It can even match the Stereo Integrity HS24 in a giant cab at all frequencies except from 16 Hz to 31 Hz, where the HS24 does have a significant advantage (not surprising since that range centers around that system's resonance).

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Audioholics will be doing a review of the 4000 subs, I don't know which and to what extant exactly at this point. I know that if I do any reviews, they won't be until the spring, since it is too cold to test anything during winter on my end.

If you want to see what a dual sub can do against some other model, just take the measurements for a single unit and add 6 dB on all of the max output measurements, both burst and long-term testing. If you want to see what a triple sub configuration does, just add 9.5 dB. If you want to see a quad sub setup can do vs a single, just add 12 dB. For a five sub setup, add 14 dB.

Dual ULS-15 mk2s would be a very good system. Quad ULS-15 mks would be a beast. Adding 12 dB onto its CEA-2010 numbers makes for a monster system. Looking at something that could equal that, I checked data-bass for its top sealed subs. A quad ULS-15 mk2 system performs on par with a JTR Captivator S2 in deep bass, and exceeds it a bit in mid bass. It also costs about the same. Quad ULS-15 mk2s outperforms the Funk 21.0SW. It outperforms the Rockford Fosgate 19" $2.5k super driver on Ricci's 20 kW amp. It can even match the Stereo Integrity HS24 in a giant cab at all frequencies except from 16 Hz to 31 Hz, where the HS24 does have a significant advantage (not surprising since that range centers around that system's resonance).
Thanks Shady for the info once again. I agree in that the ULS 15 MK2 is a HUGE bang for your buck. I remember very well how a single ULS 15 MK2 sounded in my room. Can't even begin to imagine what quads would do! I venture to say it would be down right scary to say the least. :eek::eek::eek: Not taking anything away from SVS, but the ULS 15 MK2 is a better bargain inmho. Dual B-stock ULS 15 MK2 would actually be under $1500 shipped! That would be the way I would go if it were me. ;););)

Cheers,

Phil

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
SVS has launched a new subwoofer line to replace their venerable 13-Ultra Series: the 4000 Series, which imports much of the technology from their flagship 16-Ultra line and mates it with the 13-Ultra designs. The result is an improvement in every way over the 13-Ultra subwoofers, especially in the realm of control and signal processing. What is better is that this substantial improvement comes at little to no price increase. Read our preview of the SVS 4000 Series subwoofers to see what SVS has done to make a worthy successor to the now-classic 13-Ultra subwoofers.

SVS 4000.jpg

Read: SVS 4000 Series Subwoofers Offer Significant Gains Over Models They Replace

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
In the model number choice going outside the "diameter-driven" nomenclature, wonder if it's not some sort of a hitchhike on someone else's 4000 that comes to mind :rolleyes: but I guess that's not too likely since this series is not in that league? I imagine others may have used such a number as well....but I did think of the JTR first when I saw 4000.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
In the model number choice going outside the "diameter-driven" nomenclature, wonder if it's not some sort of a hitchhike on someone else's 4000 that comes to mind :rolleyes: but I guess that's not too likely since this series is not in that league? I imagine others may have used such a number as well....but I did think of the JTR first when I saw 4000.
The 4000 naming has nothing to do with JTR's subs. SVS already had the 1000 for the lower $500 line, 2000 for the $800 subs, and now they are using 4000 for the $1500 to $2000 subs. I am pretty sure they are reserving the 3000 name for when they redo the 'Plus" series subs. I am sure that you will see that amplifier and DSP technology trickle down to that line before too long, and when it does, they will probably rename them the 3000s.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The 4000 naming has nothing to do with JTR's subs. SVS already had the 1000 for the lower $500 line, 2000 for the $800 subs, and now they are using 4000 for the $1500 to $2000 subs. I am pretty sure they are reserving the 3000 name for when they redo the 'Plus" series subs. I am sure that you will see that amplifier and DSP technology trickle down to that line before too long, and when it does, they will probably rename them the 3000s.
Yeah, but the 1 sort of was 10 (okay and a 12), the 2 was sort of 12....13 is now 4....but yeah I see your point. Then there was the Supercube 4000 as well....and I realize it's easy to run out of sub naming options with logical size numeration.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks Shady for the info once again. I agree in that the ULS 15 MK2 is a HUGE bang for your buck. I remember very well how a single ULS 15 MK2 sounded in my room. Can't even begin to imagine what quads would do! I venture to say it would be down right scary to say the least. :eek::eek::eek: Not taking anything away from SVS, but the ULS 15 MK2 is a better bargain inmho. Dual B-stock ULS 15 MK2 would actually be under $1500 shipped! That would be the way I would go if it were me. ;););)

Cheers,

Phil
I believe that SVS has always been more expensive than the other ID options, and think the gap increased a slight bit when they started being sold in Brick & Mortar stores.
That doesn't necessarily make them a bad deal:
1) The 45 day trial with free return shipping lets you make sure they are what you want.
2) Other than (perhaps) the Rythmik high gloss versions, none of the mainstream ID sub makers are the equal regarding finish. Of course I am not including Funk as a mainstream ID sub makers. I suspect they are close to Salk for finish!
3) Counter to this premium price trend, they seem to like to have a budget offering (the NSD versions) which is high volume production/sales and highly competitive with anything in the same budget range!

Points 1 and 2 are often major considerations when buying a sub (and legit reasons why SVS should cost a bit more)!

On the down side, for me, is the perforated metal grills. I like the utility of it, but not the look!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I believe that SVS has always been more expensive than the other ID options, and think the gap increased a slight bit when they started being sold in Brick & Mortar stores.
That doesn't necessarily make them a bad deal:
1) The 45 day trial with free return shipping lets you make sure they are what you want.
2) Other than (perhaps) the Rythmik high gloss versions, none of the mainstream ID sub makers are the equal regarding finish. Of course I am not including Funk as a mainstream ID sub makers. I suspect they are close to Salk for finish!
3) Counter to this premium price trend, they seem to like to have a budget offering (the NSD versions) which is high volume production/sales and highly competitive with anything in the same budget range!

Points 1 and 2 are often major considerations when buying a sub (and legit reasons why SVS should cost a bit more)!

On the down side, for me, is the perforated metal grills. I like the utility of it, but not the look!
Yeah, I am not a fan of the grilles either. BTW, when I originally owned a PD 12-NSD many years ago it was the original version. Not long after I got rid of mine, SVS improved the PB12-NSD by changing to a much improved new driver. I suppose the same thing was done with the PB10-NSD respectively, no?

Similarly, the change from the SB12-NSD to the SB2000 would certainly follow suite. Ed told me the driver on the SB12-NSD is limited via excursion capability (Xmax) when compared to that of the SB2000 driver. Kind of makes sense to me anyways.

Cheers,

Phil

chrisskylin3

chrisskylin3

Enthusiast
I've been wanting to buy the SB13 Ultra for several months now. Looks like I'll be getting the SB 4000 instead... Perfect timing. :)

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I've been wanting to buy the SB13 Ultra for several months now. Looks like I'll be getting the SB 4000 instead... Perfect timing. :)
If I'm not mistaken, that's a nice Christmas present to yourself because it's $100 cheaper than the previous one and offers more features. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis