JVC DLA-X570R 4K e-Shift4 Projector Review

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
While native 4K/UHD projectors remain out of reach for mortal men, JVC is leading a crop of projectors featuring pixel shifting technology that will generate a stunning 4K/UHD image from native 1080p projectors. The DLA-X570R offers Full compatibility with native 4K/UHD sources, dual HDMI 2.0b inputs at full 18Gbps bandwidth, HDR 10 and HLG HDR support plus fully automated calibration capabilities with JVC's free Projector Calibration Software. Couple that with lens memory features and extensive options to fine tune the JVC to any installation scenario and there isn't much more you could ask for in at a $4,000 price-point.

Read: JVC DLA-X570R 4K e-Shift4 Projector Review

projector.jpg

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Looks like a nice offering. The new Optoma 4k projectors might look awfully tempting, but my last Optoma was a reliability nightmare. I would take this JVC 4K over Optoma's les expensive native 4K support anyday, just to avoid dealing with Optoma.

F

Funboy

Audioholic Intern
If the calibration meter faces the projector, aren't all the settings incorrect for the different screens? Figured it would skew the results - especially for grey screens. Or does it simply not matter as much as I'm thinking?

S

Schrodinger23

Audioholic Intern
While the JVC seems to perform very very well in just about every area, I think if one is interested in HDR, they should step up to the X770R or the X970R. Both, have 100% coverage of DCI-P3:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/JVC/Projectors/4K/Ultra_HD/hdr/wide-color-gamuts/THX/3D/eshift4/price/ces-2017/jvc-details-new-4k-eshift4-projector-lineup-with-hdr-support/37796

I think that color gamut is what we need to aim to hit for HDR. Also, these higher end JVC's don't have the same problem as the Epson's with color filters where it severely limits the light output, where you would have to choose between speculator highlights or wider color gamut.

http://hometheaterreview.com/jvc-dla-x970r-d-ila-projector-reviewed/?page=2

DCI-P3 is the color gamut most films up to this point have been mastered for and even most films that are coming out now. There are only a small number of films that try to expand the colors past DCI-P3: Inside Out, for example, had one scene where they put the colors out to the edges of Rec. 2020. With the current technology I don't want to go out past DCI-P3 if they are using narrow-band primary colors (like with lasers or quantum dots). Getting out to the edges of Rec. 2020 in this way results in "metamerism", where different people perceive colors differently, even on the same display. For this same reason I can't see a big push for Hollywood to start color grading films past DCI-P3, if they know that each person might perceive images drastically different.

Hopefully in the next gen JVC projectors we will see either the performance of the X770R come down to the replacement for the X570R, or the price of the replacement X770R to drop below $5,000. That is when I will be ready to jump in. If they have that, I can see it being a good projector for several years, whereas if we jump in with the X570R we will be looking to upgrade much sooner.

TheoN

TheoN

Audioholics Contributing Writer
If the calibration meter faces the projector, aren't all the settings incorrect for the different screens? Figured it would skew the results - especially for grey screens. Or does it simply not matter as much as I'm thinking?
@Funboy great question. The orientation depends on the meter used. With JVC's software if using the Spyder then you face it to the projector and if using the x-rite then you take readings off the screen.

Gunny

Gunny

Junior Audioholic
How much 4K content even exists at this time? By the time it is available in sufficient quantity perhaps native 4K projectors will be reasonably priced. Until then I'll stick with my current 1080P projector.

ritechie

ritechie

Audiophyte
Firstly, before I comment, let it be known that I love my JVC-X500R . . now. Everyone who visits my theater room is genuinely impressed. But, then, they don’t know the aggravation of getting these projectors operating reliably (HDMI issues, updates via local PC, etc).

I’m ready and able to upgrade to a newer iteration. However, I’m not going to do it. Not now. And maybe not to another JVC. I’m worn out trying to wrestle with equipment that requires a few semesters of course work to install and/or operate and that requires me to acquire ancillary equipment to get it into ideal operating condition. Yep, I can hire professionals to do this. I’m not even troubled by that . . . if I thought it could be “one and done.” But I’m concerned by the likely prospect that ongoing updates, other equipment upgrades, or a new “feature” will strand me until I need yet another pro visit.

I used to joke that I could have afforded an exotic sports car many times in my life. I just couldn’t afford to keep it on the road. Sure seems like I’m still there in my theater room. All those new specifications? Sure they’re tempting. I’m even sure I will see many of the improvements. But, I’m also reading many of the early adopter issues. Do the manufacturers understand that MOST AV buyers don’t want to actually PAY for aggravation. We can get that for free. In fact, imposing negative incentives for spending more is probably not going to be a successful sales approach. Anyone listening?

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
How much 4K content even exists at this time? By the time it is available in sufficient quantity perhaps native 4K projectors will be reasonably priced. Until then I'll stick with my current 1080P projector.
More than you think. Most streaming services offer tons in 4k (they are surprisingly good as well) and with most if not all new movie releases coming in 4k there is quite a lot out there.

I have around 50 4k movies on my server and tons of the shows I watch on netflix and other services are in 4k.

Having said that, I don't care about the resolution, but I do care about HDR. That is why these new 4k projectors don't really get me excited since they don't really handle HDR that well. Those that do seem to be expensive and they are 1st gen to support HDR so I won't be upgrading any time soon.

T

ToddNash

Audiophyte
I have the RS400 and have noticed with clear motion drive engaged ( low ) the contrast is booted a bit and this actually ends up hiding detail in the image, have you noticed this ? maybe bringing the contrast down or disengaging clear black will help ?

ritechie

ritechie

Audiophyte
I have the RS400 and have noticed with clear motion drive engaged ( low ) the contrast is booted a bit and this actually ends up hiding detail in the image, have you noticed this ? maybe bringing the contrast down or disengaging clear black will help ?
Todd
Let me start by noting a few things. I've just replaced my LAMP and it has required a significant amount of re-"calibrating" using my Disney WOW disk and further modifications by eye. Your lamp is unlikely to have 100 hours on it. Your screen (120"Silver Ticket), B-R Player (OPPO), distance (12') and room lighting will all be different. Bottom line: I would NOT suggest reading anything into my settings.

I switch between 3 different USER MODES, all based on the CINEMA setting. I've modified my initial calibration so that my "MOVIE" MODE is as natural as possible, my "SciFi" MODE slightly emphasizes BLACKS (higher DYNAMIC CONTRAST, etc), and a "3D" MODE to maximize brightness and take advantage of "HIGH" lamp power. In all 3 MODES, my CMD is OFF and CLEAR BLACK is OFF . . . . in all my settings.

[I would love to have an ISF calibration of my projector, but the only calibrators in my AUSTIN area are not booking anyone. I've tried. I have an LG OLED that could be calibrated, but no DICE. No one available. BB is now offering such services, but I have no way to evaluate their performance so I'm reluctant.They might be great. ??????? ]

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
It matters. JVC lets you tell it what kind of screen you have. They have a long list of types, and then it has an offset or correction built in. Problem of course is that is a generic correction, and your particular screen might not be in their database.

So the pros do the autocal facing the projector, as designed, and then touch up the results by measuring off the screen. Heck, you want to do that touch up even if you have a neutral white screen, since autocal only gets you 90% of the way there.

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
Very true. In fact, for the price of the entry level model, one can get last year's "step up" model -- which has full DCI P3 coverage, which makes a difference with quality UHD sources, like the new remaster of Blade Runner.

Note, if I was shopping today, I'd wait a short while until the 2018 models, just announced at IFA and being shown at CEDIA, hit the street, and pick up a 2017 model -- the RS520 -- for the price of the 2018 entry level model.

I would avoid the 2016 model, the RS500, just because it doesn't have a proper built in gamma curve for HDR. One can create one with custom software and measurement, and do as good or better than the built in HDR gamma on the 2017 models like the 520. But it's not for the faint of heart, imo.

While the JVC seems to perform very very well in just about every area, I think if one is interested in HDR, they should step up to the X770R or the X970R. Both, have 100% coverage of DCI-P3:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/JVC/Projectors/4K/Ultra_HD/hdr/wide-color-gamuts/THX/3D/eshift4/price/ces-2017/jvc-details-new-4k-eshift4-projector-lineup-with-hdr-support/37796

I think that color gamut is what we need to aim to hit for HDR. Also, these higher end JVC's don't have the same problem as the Epson's with color filters where it severely limits the light output, where you would have to choose between speculator highlights or wider color gamut.

http://hometheaterreview.com/jvc-dla-x970r-d-ila-projector-reviewed/?page=2

DCI-P3 is the color gamut most films up to this point have been mastered for and even most films that are coming out now. There are only a small number of films that try to expand the colors past DCI-P3: Inside Out, for example, had one scene where they put the colors out to the edges of Rec. 2020. With the current technology I don't want to go out past DCI-P3 if they are using narrow-band primary colors (like with lasers or quantum dots). Getting out to the edges of Rec. 2020 in this way results in "metamerism", where different people perceive colors differently, even on the same display. For this same reason I can't see a big push for Hollywood to start color grading films past DCI-P3, if they know that each person might perceive images drastically different.

Hopefully in the next gen JVC projectors we will see either the performance of the X770R come down to the replacement for the X570R, or the price of the replacement X770R to drop below $5,000. That is when I will be ready to jump in. If they have that, I can see it being a good projector for several years, whereas if we jump in with the X570R we will be looking to upgrade much sooner.

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
Chad works magic with JVC projectors.

http://www.hdtvbychadb.com/tours.html

Todd
Let me start by noting a few things. I've just replaced my LAMP and it has required a significant amount of re-"calibrating" using my Disney WOW disk and further modifications by eye. Your lamp is unlikely to have 100 hours on it. Your screen (120"Silver Ticket), B-R Player (OPPO), distance (12') and room lighting will all be different. Bottom line: I would NOT suggest reading anything into my settings.

I switch between 3 different USER MODES, all based on the CINEMA setting. I've modified my initial calibration so that my "MOVIE" MODE is as natural as possible, my "SciFi" MODE slightly emphasizes BLACKS (higher DYNAMIC CONTRAST, etc), and a "3D" MODE to maximize brightness and take advantage of "HIGH" lamp power. In all 3 MODES, my CMD is OFF and CLEAR BLACK is OFF . . . . in all my settings.

[I would love to have an ISF calibration of my projector, but the only calibrators in my AUSTIN area are not booking anyone. I've tried. I have an LG OLED that could be calibrated, but no DICE. No one available. BB is now offering such services, but I have no way to evaluate their performance so I'm reluctant.They might be great. ??????? ]

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
Not a bad choice. Most Hollywood releases these days come out in UHD day and date with their Blu-ray counterpart. But if you are more into indie, foreign, and or catalog titles, then the pickings are MUCH slimmer.

Hopefully that changes before long with things like iTunes and AppleTV getting UHD etc. We may never see a huge rush to release catalog titles on UHD disks, but streaming and download services may provide the lower overhead that make it possible for that content to see the light of day.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis