Nola Metro Grand Reference Gold 2 Loudspeaker Preview

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Recently, Nola introduced us to the Nola Metro Grand Reference Gold 2 loudspeaker - which was on exhibit for the first time ever at the Los Angeles Audio Show (LAAS). The Metro Grand Reference Gold 2 is a high-end compact 3-1/2-way floorstanding loudspeaker designed for medium-sized rooms. With many upgrades from the previous model, the Nola Metro Grand Reference Gold 2 might be right for you, but with a $40,000/pair price tag, it's not for everyone.

Read: Nola Metro Grand Reference Gold 2 Loudspeaker Preview

J

Javan

Audiophyte
There are some speakers that seem so meticulously engineered in every single aspect of their build that you can easily appreciate and justify the high cost. One of the main parts of those impressive designs is usually the care that goes into not only building but designing the cabinet. High-end speaker companies seem to to put enormous amounts of effort into making a cabinet that minimizes resonance and diffraction.

.... and then there are companies that make a $40,000 speaker set with the boxiest cabinets I've seen since my 20-year old $200 Sony stereo

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
There are some speakers that seem so meticulously engineered in every single aspect of their build that you can easily appreciate and justify the high cost. One of the main parts of those impressive designs is usually the care that goes into not only building but designing the cabinet. High-end speaker companies seem to to put enormous amounts of effort into making a cabinet that minimizes resonance and diffraction.

.... and then there are companies that make a $40,000 speaker set with the boxiest cabinets I've seen since my 20-year old $200 Sony stereo
To my untrained eye for multi-thousand speakers, these look like hobby or DIY speakers wrapped in pretty finish.

JBL Pro M2 reference system cost half that and it includes a pair of 5k amps ..... just saying...

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Wow. $40k for that... Imho We should definitely change the "pretty cool" to "Mildly Interesting"
I was wondering how they could avoid interference effects with that strange driver layout. At least no one can say it's bass-shy.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Wow. $40k for that... Imho We should definitely change the "pretty cool" to "Mildly Interesting"
Since Dennis Murphy entered on the thread and Gene authored it, I had to read it.
Now that I've read up on the $40,000 wonderkind, I'm not sure that "mildly interesting" isn't overstating it a bit. I feel a yawn coming on.

For @Dennis Murphy : I now am the proud owner of a set of Salk Songtowers which I hear you had a serious hand in designing. Disregard the price: what's in that Nola Metro Grand Reference Gold 2 loudspeaker that is audible that I won't hear with my Songtowers?

BTW: just because I havn't posted it yet this week: the Salk Songtowers are still totally awesome to listen to.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Since Dennis Murphy entered on the thread and Gene authored it, I had to read it.
Now that I've read up on the $40,000 wonderkind, I'm not sure that "mildly interesting" isn't overstating it a bit. I feel a yawn coming on.
Tony Leotta, not Gene authored it. Gene's sig is just a bot script to post main articles to forums to add discussion and participation.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General

For @Dennis Murphy : I now am the proud owner of a set of Salk Songtowers which I hear you had a serious hand in designing. Disregard the price: what's in that Nola Metro Grand Reference Gold 2 loudspeaker that is audible that I won't hear with my Songtowers?

BTW: just because I havn't posted it yet this week: the Salk Songtowers are still totally awesome to listen to.
Thanks for the nice Song Tower words. i haven't heard the Nola. I was just commenting on the measurements and the unorthodox driver layout. Perhaps Tony knows what the thinking is behind that. About all I can say about the ST vs the Nola is that I'm sure the Nola has more power handling in the bass.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Haha, no. Just pay attention. this script is pretty much works on all site to forum posts

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
$40k for speakers? What terms do they offer for financing? Oh, I forgot, Audioholics only caters to the uber-riche. o_O

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis