Three Methods for Immersive 3D Audio

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Surround sound, immersive audio, and 3D sound are growing in popularity and importance as gaming, VR, movies, and music embrace multi-channel audio. With multiple strategically-placed amplified speakers, headphones with motion tracking and binaural content, and beamforming sound bars all at your disposal, all three can deliver enhanced listening, but vary tremendously in cost and convenience. We take a look at these three methods to help you decide which one is right for you.

Read: Three Methods for Immersive 3D Audio

D

Douewedijkstra

Audiophyte
I decided to register to your forum simply to reply to this wonderful article! It's commendable how you're trying to state a case for surround audio. *wipes away tears* Ever since the downfall of DVD-A/SACD I have been waiting for the next step in audio, but nothing has come by that has remotely caught people's attention, I feel (unless you consider 'Blu-Ray Pure Audio' a hit, which I certainly don't). I really do hope that as the popularity of immersive audio increases, as well as sales of home theater packages/soundbars etc., we may see a comeback of music in surround sound. I'd buy my favourite albums in surround in a heartbeat! Hopes and prayers!

S

sTonti23

Audiophyte
Hey Gene!!

I too, signed up for the site after reading this article! Thank you, thank you, thank you for the up-to-date breakdown on all things Immersive Audio, Binaural Audio, 3D Audio, etc etc etc.

There's so much to ask ya, but I'll keep my Q's tied to the world of VR and VR Audio.

1) You mentioned the "Starke Sound LA Audio Show" and was curious: Did they speak at all about VR Audio? Or where 3D audio is headed re: VR Headsets or VR rooms? Any more deets on that audio show and/or the full extent of what they covered? I'm LA based and will definitely look them up!

2) In the headphone section, you mentioned a crowd-funding campaign for a new pair of headphones: "They have a few testimonials on the Kickstarter site (including comments from some Grammy-winning engineers) that say exactly that — the sound seems to come from across the room. I'm skeptical."

First of all, I'm with ya. Always skeptical, BUT I have to laugh (out loud), because I may or may not have been a part of that very campaign! There aren't that many folks out there making true Binaural headphones, so there's a chance the pair I got are the pair you're referring to...? I just got them this weekend and finally had a chance to toy with them (virtually my whole Saturday). They're called Hooke Verse. Couple things off the bat: Their bluetooth (rad), they've got a microphone in each earbud that picks up the sound around you, and from what the manufacturer claims...they've got a codec that aids in recording and then transmitting (wirelessly) actual binaural audio as opposed to stitching/rendering stereo recordings.

(WEB): https://hookeaudio.com/

(VIDEO):

I would love to hear what you think on this company and what they're up to. I had a blast on Saturday and the sensation was "out-of-my-head" surround sound, or at least I thought so. But I can understand your point that it's tough to create that feeling with headphones (especially in-ear), maybe even impossible, because of the nature of the speakers...they're IN your head. Anyhoudini, take a look at their stuff and maybe this is the company you were alluding to??

Love your stuff!
Thanks for the article,
sT

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis