Pioneer Elite SX-S30 Slim Stereo Network Receiver

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Pioneer announced its new SX-S30 Slim Stereo Network Receiver. Offering a wealth of connectivity options, the SX-S30 packs high-res sound and functionality into a slim, compact receiver that fits almost anywhere. The feature set is great allowing you to access all of your high res audio from mobile or networked devices.

But what about the power section? So many receivers these days are skimping on power and inflating their ratings. Is Pioneer doing this with their new SX-S30?

Read: Pioneer Elite SX-S30 Slim Stereo Network Receiver

S

Schrodinger23

Audioholic Intern
The editorial note is hilarious. It is possible they rated the amplifier into a 4 ohm load to get the numbers higher, but in actual practice with a 4 ohm speaker, the speaker might not play so nice with it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Mildly interesting is right. I can see where I could use this, but it is more like 40-50w @ 8 Ohms? Price kind of kills it too for what it offers.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Mildly interesting is right. I can see where I could use this, but it is more like 40-50w @ 8 Ohms? Price kind of kills it too for what it offers.
Agreed. This little unit would have worked perfectly for my living room with the exception that it would be lacking in power. I already have a 521k pioneer receiver that can struggle at times. Speakers are to blame here too, but for $500 I'd expect at least 85wpc 8ohm all channels driven.

hk2000

hk2000

Junior Audioholic
If you have the space for the HK 4390, might as well get the Onkyo TX-8140 or TX-8160, both with 80watt per channel (.08 THD 20-20k @8 Ohm) and with the networking feature. I have the TX-8050 and it sounds great and for over 4 years now, had no issues whatsoever.

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
AND, all the receivers mentioned in your comment have many more connection options than this Pioneer SX-S30.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
This is a slim model, so in order to get all those features in the small form factor, that's what they'll do. Knowing that people will buy it based on size and not realize it isn't powerful.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
If you have the space for the HK 4390, might as well get the Onkyo TX-8140 or TX-8160, both with 80watt per channel (.08 THD 20-20k @8 Ohm) and with the networking feature. I have the TX-8050 and it sounds great and for over 4 years now, had no issues whatsoever.
I think U mean the 3490..

Just my $0.02.. ;)

O

Ovation

Enthusiast
I have a friend for whom this receiver would be ideal (limited space, ZERO desire for anything beyond 2.1, three HDMI video devices with a TV having only two inputs and never drives his volume very loudly). Is there any reason, beyond lower than advertised power, this would be a poor choice? I know there are many 2 ch options out there but none have HDMI switching as far as I can tell. Thoughts?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I have a friend for whom this receiver would be ideal (limited space, ZERO desire for anything beyond 2.1, three HDMI video devices with a TV having only two inputs and never drives his volume very loudly). Is there any reason, beyond lower than advertised power, this would be a poor choice? I know there are many 2 ch options out there but none have HDMI switching as far as I can tell. Thoughts?
Marantz and Yamaha make low profile receivers too, but they are full 5.1. Not sure their power ratings would be any better...or worse.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Agreed. If they'd include pre-outs so we had the option for external amplification it would be a non issue.
I dont know if that will hold true or not. Having read Genes comments on the reduction in pre-amp power to follow along with amplifier power reductions it would seem even that tried and true work around may be at risk in some new receivers.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I dont know if that will hold true or not. Having read Genes comments on the reduction in pre-amp power to follow along with amplifier power reductions it would seem even that tried and true work around may be at risk in some new receivers.
I agree to an extent. That lack of pre out voltage seems to be independent of receiver brand and model. If they would have added the option it still would have been better than nothing...which is what we have now.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis