Anthem AVM 60 11.2CH Preamp/Processor Review

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
They say good things come to those who wait. Well, the wait is over for Anthem's long-awaited AVM 60 preamp processor. The company's first 11.2 immersive audio-capable preamp brings the latest and greatest audio and video support including Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, HDMI 2.0a, HDCP 2.2, HDR, and BT.2020. While it slims down some features over its predecessor, the new AVM 60 is a sonic powerhouse featuring the superb ARC-2 room correction system.

We put the AVM 60 to a full workout in separate two channel and 7.1.4 channel Dolby Atmos setups and came away mightily impressed.

Read: Anthem AVM 60 11.2CH Preamp/Processor Review

H

hosko

Audiophyte
Think I will wait for the Emotiva XMC2 which will also be 11.2

N

ncampbel

Enthusiast
It isn't mentioned in the article but with the virtual inputs on the AVM60, Anthem has an IR code to switch to any assignable virtual input. I discovered this while programming my harmony 650, logitech has all the codes (mine shows 30 possible virtual inputs) so it's easy to program activities that don't rely on timing and last state memory to switch the input.

N

ncampbel

Enthusiast
Why was the AVM 60 rated below the XMC-1 and CX-A5000 in multi-channel and two-channel audio performance? I have a hard time believing these reviews are using the same scale.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
They say good things come to those who wait. Well, the wait is over for Anthem's long-awaited AVM 60 preamp processor. The company's first 11.2 immersive audio-capable preamp brings the latest and greatest audio and video support including Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, HDMI 2.0a, HDCP 2.2, HDR, and BT.2020. While it slims down some features over its predecessor, the new AVM 60 is a sonic powerhouse featuring the superb ARC-2 room correction system.

We put the AVM 60 to a full workout in separate two channel and 7.1.4 channel Dolby Atmos setups and came away mightily impressed.

Read: Anthem AVM 60 11.2CH Preamp/Processor Review
Have you played with their AVR?

Also, if you were to buy one, how would you deal with the lack of 12V triggers? One of my customers is asking about Anthem and we're using 2 assignable triggers. Granted, if I had more, I'd just find ways to use them but......

Last edited:
B

BRIAN_PDX

Enthusiast
When do things become so complicated as to be worthless? What features do you really need? 11.2? What movies or CDs really use that format? Few are available in 7.1 and ATMOS and 3D are complete scams as the corporate elites will make what you buy today obsolete tomorrow. The benefits are negligible and ultimately degrade the visual and audio experience.

I had a four channel system, Pioneer, Nakamichi, Teac, Thorens, Ortofon and custom built transmission line speakers that in total cost 1/3 of what this pre/pro alone costs. You would have to spend 50 times the cost of that total system just to approach the sound quality, albeit with video in this day and age. We are being taken for a financial ride, a fantasy that technology and gimmicks or so-called features will make our A/V experience better or are even essential to keep up with the latest, newest nonsense. Who are the fools? Audio and video equipment used to last a generation and now doesn't last a year either through planned obsolescence or terrible quality.

So what is needed? For me, obviously, a 7.1 system that provides 5.1 A/V (90% of what is available) in the main zone and 2 channel plus HDMI video/audio in the second zone. A really good performing system for analog or digital multi-channel, not just one or the other. Enough analogue connections for a good turntable and tape sources even though the industry wants to kill analogue. Room correction can be helpful but controls that are simple and don't throw sparks and smoke every time you turn the damn thing on is best for the blood pressure. (Admit it, you know what I mean.) Really bass and treble, throw in midrange if you want, were actually just fine. Equalizers back in the day were just frosting and looked hi tech. Simple, pleasing high performance with value. $200K systems? Who uses them? Who knows someone who has one? $50K much the same. Give us a $5K system that the Gods in Valhalla could hear and appreciate with a manual an intelligent child could follow and use. That will be the day.

Last edited:
H

hosko

Audiophyte
I don't see why people like BRIAN_PDX feel the need to post in a review of a product they have no intention of purchasing. We get it you don't like Atmos, great for you but others do enjoy it and for those people a processor that gives you that is not so complicated as to be worthless.

H

hosko

Audiophyte
Why was the AVM 60 rated below the XMC-1 and CX-A5000 in multi-channel and two-channel audio performance? I have a hard time believing these reviews are using the same scale.
Perhaps because the XMC1 has balanced analog inputs and is fully differential so you can hook it up to a very expensive DAC. The AVM 60 only unbalanced analog inputs.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't see why not, any subjective reviews are by nature subjective. Some people, in fact probably most people, couldn't even hear a difference in sighted AB volume match comparison tests so I am not surprise different reviewers will rate two channel audio performance differently. That's in pure direct, if processing is involved, it could be even more subjective.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Is the rating based on PRICE CLASS?

The Emotiva and Yamaha are much less expensive. And since the Anthem doesn't sound any better than the other 2 pre-pros or many other pre-pros and AVRs in the $1.5K-$2K range, it might be rated lower even though the Anthem will sound JUST AS GOOD.

B

BRIAN_PDX

Enthusiast
I don't see why people like BRIAN_PDX feel the need to post in a review of a product they have no intention of purchasing. We get it you don't like Atmos, great for you but others do enjoy it and for those people a processor that gives you that is not so complicated as to be worthless.
It was not a review, it was an opinion on the current state of the A/V industry based on decades of experience. The point was, and perhaps I should have made it a clearer point, all of the gimmicks the industry introduces, like ATMOS, is merely done to shorten the life of hardware and convince people to buy the next one whether it really is an advancement or not. Secondly, gimmicks like ATMOS have a fleeting shelf life. (See Beta.) Third, manufacturers should provide components either designed for a specific group of users (target market) or at least not eliminate a key feature that might have shelf life. UHD Bluray connectivity for example. Simple is best and the receivers or processors they put out are complicated and riddled with features you either can't fathom or don't want.

Finally is it better to buy an inferior group of 7.2.4 ATMOS speakers or better quality 5.1 speakers costing the same amount? Same with paying for ATMOS on a receiver or pre/pro?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It was not a review, it was an opinion on the current state of the A/V industry based on decades of experience. The point was, and perhaps I should have made it a clearer point, all of the gimmicks the industry introduces, like ATMOS, is merely done to shorten the life of hardware and convince people to buy the next one whether it really is an advancement or not. Secondly, gimmicks like ATMOS have a fleeting shelf life. (See Beta.) Third, manufacturers should provide components either designed for a specific group of users (target market) or at least not eliminate a key feature that might have shelf life. UHD Bluray connectivity for example. Simple is best and the receivers or processors they put out are complicated and riddled with features you either can't fathom or don't want.

Finally is it better to buy an inferior group of 7.2.4 ATMOS speakers or better quality 5.1 speakers costing the same amount? Same with paying for ATMOS on a receiver or pre/pro?
I agree with your point about the somewhat gimmicky nature of those new features and their "fleeting shelf life". Gimmicks aside, for long term use, I do feel 7.1 is still more enjoyable than 5.1. Those new gimmicks may be fun to have for someone who has the room size, money and time to support such fun experiments.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Manufacturers are doing a poor job convincing me, but they are doing a great job convincing a lot of people of ATMOS, DTS:X, 3D, 4K/HDR because a lot of people are buying. :D

For my new 22'W x 26'L x 14'H HT room, I am still doing 5.1 DTS-HD/TrueHD and 1080p. ;)

I just tell myself that my two 60" tall RBH SX-T2/R towers (for Surround Sound duty) are doing a much better job with surround sound than a million small ATMOS surround speakers. :D

But that's just me.

A lot of people buying into all these features (that you and I don't care about) may feel pretty happy buying.

If it makes us happy, it can't be that bad. :)

Last edited:
K

Kevin Ruddy

Audiophyte
We have one in our showroom, and after playing with it a bit I ordered mine and it will be here next Tuesday, Cant wait to get it installed. I love 2 channel music but being able to do surround helped me convince the wife the money would be well spent.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

So the sound hardware in the movie theaters or your home? Movie theaters have had some issues keeping up with gear too. The original plain old mobile phone was good enough for many but just try stopping that juggernaut! AVRs aren't that hard to figure out if you want to. The cheaper vs better thing is like guys who stay with 2.0 because they don't want to spend a lot more on 5.1 to maintain a level of gear they're accustomed to (and maybe want the same simplicity of set up and learning curve?).

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
This may be an oversimplification, but AVR manufacturers, Dolby, DTS, and the like all need to make money...every year. So introducing new formats and products seems like a good way to get people to buy new stuff so they make money every year. Do people need new stuff? Nope. Do they want it? Yep.

TheoN

TheoN

Audioholics Contributing Writer
Obviously I wrote extensively about my experience but make no mistake this pre-Pro's two channel performance is stunningly good. And if you haven't experienced Atmos vs. 7.1 it makes a believer out of you.

I had some friends over a few weeks ago and brought them down into my theater space and fired up Fifth Element and switched between 7.1 and Atmos. It's night and day different.

Immersive audio is absolutely the real deal.

But with all of these technologies, in my opinion, I'd suggest following this philosophy: Start with the best two channel you can afford plus the best sub as a foundation. Then build out 5.1 and up to immersive audio over time as needed. I would personally rather spend money on a higher quality two channel system as opposed to mediocre immersive audio. But there's some great stuff out there today. SVS, Fluance, ELAC to name but a few and stay tuned for my RSL CG3 series review coming in a week or two. It's a great time to be a home theater aficionado.

S

slingshot

Audiophyte
Theo, thanks for the nice review. I am interested in this and I know an Anthem dealer. If your primary interest is high quality audio, as mine is, then you should obtain a high quality preamp as you advise. Otherwise you can save yourself some money by going with a processor.

I guess there will be issues trying to integrate a preamp with a surround processor. Most preamps that have this feature only allow for rear, left surround speakers, center channel and sub-woofer. I haven't researched this but it may be difficult to add more channels for a Atmos setup. An article on this with step by step instructions would be great.

Another review I recently read stated that Dolby Surround was a step backwards for music compared to Dolby Pro Logic IIX or Logic 7. The Anthem manual on page 25 states Dolby Sound offers greater flexibility and superior audio performance. Any comments? I will post this question in a forum.

Last edited:
C

ChGr

Audioholic Intern
Q I posted in 'Room Acoustics' but no takers. For you AVM 60 owners:

In reviewing the OM for the AVM 60 it appears that you can save 4 profiles for the Anthem ARC.

Does this mean that with the Anthem you could run room correction for your 5.2.4 setup then run it again, say in 2.0, then in 2.2 modes (and save them as Profiles 1, 2 an 3)? Would the room correction be different when you eliminate speakers? I would have to imagine it would be.

For those of you with AVM60s are you using multiple profiles as above or is this an invalid concern?

Thanks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis