Paradigm and Revel Outdoor Garden Speakers Preview

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
A real theme at CEDIA in Dallas, Texas this year was bringing the sound of the indoors to the outside. Many manufacturers such as Revel and Paradigm are making quality weatherproof loudspeakers capable of blending into the landscaping while also providing flexible installation options.

Imagine the surprise on your friends and families faces when they try to figure out where all that great sound is coming from. Read on to find out how.

Read: Paradigm and Revel Outdoor Garden Speakers Preview

J

jayleaf

Audioholic Intern
Imagine the look of surprise on your neighbor's faces when your kids start blasting death metal on saturday night when your out for the evening. ;)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Imagine how much more they'll be surprised when they find out it wasn't the kids...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would be interested in the materials used that can endure all kinds of weather conditions. Heavy rubber surrounds and aluminum cones I would bet. The problem is, those heavy materials reduce the sensitivity of the speaker by a lot.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I doubt they use aluminum on the cones, it does corrode. A polymer cone such as those used by Ascend on the CBM170-SE would be more likely. It's the spider that would also have to be more durable and sealing off the magnet/pole interface.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I doubt they use aluminum on the cones, it does corrode. A polymer cone such as those used by Ascend on the CBM170-SE would be more likely. It's the spider that would also have to be more durable and sealing off the magnet/pole interface.
You are mistaken on Aluminum and corrosion.

A quick search of Wikipedia:
Aluminium is remarkable for the metal's low density and its ability to resist corrosion through the phenomenon of passivation.

In general UV radiation also breaks down polymers, some can degrade fairly quickly, have you ever seen covers for Fluorescent Lights that just about come apart in your hands, that's from the UV degrading the material. But, there are additives that can be put into the polymer mix that will give much better UV protection.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
OK, I know my 40+ years of being a machinist, combined with seeing aluminum radiators, car wheels and other aluminum parts corrode (galvanic corrosion) needs further education. My feeble mind was thinking that galvanic corrosion typically attacks aluminum in environments prone to having chlorine in the atmosphere (pools) is why austenitic stainless steel is the material of choice in marine environments. There are speakers which successfully use aluminum woofer cones and tweeter domes for exterior use, though those always have a specific anodized finish to inhibit that galvanic corrosion. It is because speaker cones and domes are so thin and galvanic corrosion occurs only on the surface that treatment (plating, anodizing) is paramount to life of the driver.

Yes, UV rays can break down certain polymers. Fortunately we have thousands of different polymers to choose from. Fewer are rigid enough for speaker cones, but there's still plenty to choose from.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
OK, I know my 40+ years of being a machinist, combined with seeing aluminum radiators, car wheels and other aluminum parts corrode (galvanic corrosion) needs further education. My feeble mind was thinking that galvanic corrosion typically attacks aluminum in environments prone to having chlorine in the atmosphere (pools) is why austenitic stainless steel is the material of choice in marine environments. There are speakers which successfully use aluminum woofer cones and tweeter domes for exterior use, though those always have a specific anodized finish to inhibit that galvanic corrosion. It is because speaker cones and domes are so thin and galvanic corrosion occurs only on the surface that treatment (plating, anodizing) is paramount to life of the driver.

Yes, UV rays can break down certain polymers. Fortunately we have thousands of different polymers to choose from. Fewer are rigid enough for speaker cones, but there's still plenty to choose from.
Ah, yes Aluminum and galvanic corrosion is a different animal!

But, chlorine is also well known to cause SS pitting:
Pitting corrosion - The passive layer on stainless steel can be attacked by certain chemical species. The chloride ion Cl- is the most common of these and is found in everyday materials such as salt and bleach. Pitting corrosion is avoided by making sure that stainless steel does not come into prolonged contact with harmful chemicals or by choosing a grade of steel which is more resistant to attack. The pitting corrosion resistance can be assessed using the Pitting Resistance Equivalent Number calculated from the alloy content.

I have a degree in chemistry from one of the best chemistry schools in the world ;)
Specializing in Analytical Chemistry and Electro-chemistry.
And, I have brewed beer as a hobby for 10+ years where SS is often the material of choice.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis