Paradigm Prestige 75F Floorstanding Speaker System Review

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Paradigm is a 30-year-old Canadian audio company with a well-deserved reputation for making excellent products at price points from entry level to high end. They’ve recently introduced their Prestige Series, a complete family of middle-to-upper-priced loudspeakers suitable for both serious music and home theater use.

We take a close look at the 75F, the smallest floorstander in the group. How does this four driver, 2 1/2 way speaker stack up in this hotly-contested market segment? Read the review to find out.

Read: Paradigm Prestige 75F Floorstanding Speaker System Review

hk2000

hk2000

Junior Audioholic
Good review, but I'm confused: You give it a 5/5 on build quality yet you complain about the mediocre finish? Isn't the finish an integral part of the build quality?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Good review, but I'm confused: You give it a 5/5 on build quality yet you complain about the mediocre finish? Isn't the finish an integral part of the build quality?
I can see that, but build quality to me is how solid the cabinet is and how well it is put together. Their complaint is that the real wood looks cheap and in those pics, I agree.

W

wiyosaya

Audioholic
Why would a dealer throw out the outer box? What if the purchaser moves and needs to ship the speakers or, they sell them later and need to ship them? IMO, its best to keep all boxes at the least because they raise the price a seller can get for used equipment.

I know someone who bought Signature Series S-8s used, and they were shipped to him just in the decorative carton. They were trashed by the time he received them. The double-boxing scheme may be another aspect where Paradigm has learned a lesson.

I bought a set of the 95Fs, and they were easily gotten out of the box by opening the top, flipping the box over and spreading the flaps on the floor, then the outer box came off very easily - second person not required.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I added a fit/finish category and assigned it a 3/5 based on the finish quality.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Steve, nice review! One question, you mentioned that the Paradigm does not have a hunky, congested sound in the mid range that is common in many speakers. I know you say its hard to define in objective terms, but of you had to look for it in a measurement set, what would you be looking for?

B

Brooks Moore

Enthusiast
I own a five speaker prestige system anchored by pair of the 75f's, and I respectfully disagree with your wonderful review. I have the satin black finish, and while I will say at first I was a little let down by the aesthetic. Now having enjoyed them for 6 months I have grown to really like it. There is something special about the unassuming stealth look they provide. They are hiding in plain sight if that makes sense. I would recommend anyone who is truly interested in these speakers to see the various finishes in person if possible. The quality of construction is more in the seamless joints and the solid weighted construction you alluded too. That being said to each is own, and I understand your point of view completely.

The only side note I would say is that you fail to mention Paradigms dealer network. It is commonly known that Paradigms can be had for less than the suggested msrp when purchasing through a dealer. So it could be argued that there is more bang for the buck when purchasing these speakers than you mentioned in your review. Which taken into account could have taken a little of the sting out of your reaction to the finish. Just my thoughts, and while I disagree with you on the aesthetics I completely agree with your review on the sound quality. Thanks for the thoughtful review and keep up the great work.

W

wiyosaya

Audioholic
I own a five speaker prestige system anchored by pair of the 75f's, and I respectfully disagree with your wonderful review. I have the satin black finish, and while I will say at first I was a little let down by the aesthetic. Now having enjoyed them for 6 months I have grown to really like it. There is something special about the unassuming stealth look they provide. They are hiding in plain sight if that makes sense. I would recommend anyone who is truly interested in these speakers to see the various finishes in person if possible. The quality of construction is more in the seamless joints and the solid weighted construction you alluded too. That being said to each is own, and I understand your point of view completely.

The only side note I would say is that you fail to mention Paradigms dealer network. It is commonly known that Paradigms can be had for less than the suggested msrp when purchasing through a dealer. So it could be argued that there is more bang for the buck when purchasing these speakers than you mentioned in your review. Which taken into account could have taken a little of the sting out of your reaction to the finish. Just my thoughts, and while I disagree with you on the aesthetics I completely agree with your review on the sound quality. Thanks for the thoughtful review and keep up the great work.
I have to agree with this. Hiding in plain sight is a great way to put it.

Besides, as I previously noted, the comments about throwing out the outer box, which would be essential to ship these anywhere without damage, I am also not impressed by this statement:
Interestingly, the upper models in the Prestige Series show diminishing returns in this respect, since the 85F’s 6.5-inch woofers/midrange and the 95F’s 8-inch woofers/midrange both trade superior bass response for narrower midrange dispersion and a rougher transition to the tweeter. The math is the math and the dispersion/power response at the crossover—all three models cross over at 2.0kHz—gets markedly worse as you go up to the larger models. Oh well.
I listened to the 85Fs and 95Fs when auditioning them at a local dealer before my purchase. My upgrade was rather substantial in going from Paradigm Monitor series 11se MK IIIs to the 95Fs. I have a music background, but I am not a professional. My wife, OTOH, does not have a music background and views herself as having little musical talent. I brought along a DSD file of Handel: Royal Fireworks Music / The Water Music. My wife and I played track 12 on this with the 11se speakers at home before I went to audition the speakers. At about 4:20 of that track, there is what sounds like rather large, low frequency tympani. On the 11ses, anyone would have trouble recognizing that it is a tympani playing; it basically sounds like thuds. On the 95Fs, the tympani is well-defined and actually sounds like a tympani.

On getting the speakers home and after setting them up, I played the same track again for my wife, and she said, WOW. These really do sound a great deal better than the old speakers.

Anecdotal though this may be, the choice of material for the cone is something that I would argue that makes a difference. Aluminum is a much stiffer material than the cone material in the 11ses, and I suspect that it provides a better overall sound. It is pretty easy to cite mathematical formulas, however, IMO, it is much better to actually listen to the speakers before stating that there is diminishing returns. And, being no stranger to higher math, I get the principle of dispersion vs wavelength.

I got the 95Fs because, to me, they sounded noticeably better than the 85Fs.

M

MWD

Audiophyte
A well written, insightful, honest review. Well done.

P

Pat D

Audioholic
Paradigm is a 30-year-old Canadian audio company with a well-deserved reputation for making excellent products at price points from entry level to high end. They’ve recently introduced their Prestige Series, a complete family of middle-to-upper-priced loudspeakers suitable for both serious music and home theater use.

We take a close look at the 75F, the smallest floorstander in the group. How does this four driver, 2 1/2 way speaker stack up in this hotly-contested market segment? Read the review to find out.

Read: Paradigm Prestige 75F Floorstanding Speaker System Review
No measurements? The subjective review is fairly thorough, but I trust comments with measurements a lot more.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
hate to be picky but for towers for $3k solid, crappy bass extension seems out of place.
AT and NHT both build fine speakers, but if we compare these to Ascend Sierra tower, Philharmonic Slims and Jim Salk's Song3 speakers, Paradigm it seems is very lacking...

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
hate to be picky but for towers for $3k solid, crappy bass extension seems out of place.
AT and NHT both build fine speakers, but if we compare these to Ascend Sierra tower, Philharmonic Slims and Jim Salk's Song3 speakers, Paradigm it seems is very lacking...
Difficult to ascertain say without measurements how "crappy" their bass extension is and without hearing them for yourself. Your point is moot as most people will couple this with a dedicated sub and the advantages of their neutral midrange will come to bare.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Difficult to ascertain say without measurements how "crappy" their bass extension is and without hearing them for yourself. Your point is moot as most people will couple this with a dedicated sub and the advantages of their neutral midrange will come to bare.
Lets agree to disagree. 3k is definitely price point for entry level true full range towers. If 75f's require sub(s) to play full range and few other (examples above) don't then something is not quite right here

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I heard these 75's just this past Saturday for the first time. I was with my cousin who was shopping to upgrade from Klipsch R-24F to something more akin to my KEF R500. We heard Klipsch RP-280F, these, and PSB Imagine T. The Paradigm were without question the most appealing overall, the bass of the RP-280F excepted. Unfortunately, they were just about twice what my cousin's budget.

My impression of the Paradigm Prestige 75F was that they are quite a bit brighter than my KEF, but not in an objectionable (Klipsch) way. ;) The mid-bass though midrange was exceptional, and I was impressed with the smooth crossover for a 2-1/2 way speaker. By comparison, the PSB sounded a bit more muted on the highest tones, but equal everywhere else. My cousin went home with the PSB for an in-home audition, and bought them on Tuesday. In his somewhat barren room, the PSB was a completely different speaker, much brighter and sounding remarkably like the Paradigm did in a well designed room at an audio store. He's quite happy at half the price.

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
This summer I purchased a pair of Prestige 75F's. I chose the Midnight Cherry finish. The speakers are paired with a Paradigm sub using Anthem's ARC room correction software.

Here’s what I can say in regards to Steve’s review:

1. The Midnight Cherry finish is flawless; definitely 5/5 (unlike the walnut finish Steve reviewed: 3/5).

2. Steve’s comment, “The quality of the bass was fine; I just wanted a tad more weight and drama” as well as his comment “If you have a good bass control on your preamp, a quick turn to 12:30 is all it takes to make everything right with the world,” are not inaccurate, though I’m not sure that it is actually an issue with the speakers. Even with the sub dialed into the 75F’s with the ARC software, I too find some material just slightly wanting in the low end presentation, but I must say it is only with some material. I believe the speakers are revealing the material as it was mastered. I have many discs where I would never think of adjusting the base because it is perfect as is, and I mean perfect.

3. I believe Steve’s review is spot on and all of his comments are accurate and thoughtful.

My personal experience with the Prestige 75F’s:

I truly love the overall presentation of recorded material on these speakers. I auditioned these speakers along with B&W CM and Martin Logan Motion speakers, but found I preferred the 75F’s for their overall sonic characteristics. These speakers wonderfully reproduce the variety of material I listen to. In particular, choral works and discs focused on vocals are amazing. These speakers do an excellent job of revealing the source material; even the flaws. They image the acoustics of the recording location brilliantly and the timbre of instruments with accuracy. At this price point, these speakers are a must listen for anyone actively shopping.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis