My sub doesn't sound like before

H

Humberto

Enthusiast
My system:

Receiver Pioneer VSX-D414 (DD / DTS) (6 - 8 ohm)
Subwoofer Pioneer 8" (8 ohm)
Jamo homecinema 5.0 speakers (6 ohm)
Sony DVD

The receiver and subwoofer above is part of a Home Theater In A Box.
Despite of being satisfied with the system I wanted more.

A friend of mine suggested I should buy the Jamo 5.0 speakers. They were not expensive and sounded good connected to a Yamaha receiver in the store.

But when connected to my receiver I was surprised. My sub didn't make any difference, it looked like it wasn't there. It was like the speakers had "eliminated" the sub and I lost much of that bass I used to hear before.

I tried to setup the system in 6 and 8 ohm; it worked better in 8 ohm.

Any suggestion about what's going wrong? Could be the difference between the sub and the loudspeakers impedance?

Regards.

J

Jake Patriots

Audiophyte
speaker setting?

The only things I can think of are to double check that all of your speakers are set to "small" on your receiver and double check the xover on the receiver and the sub. Can you feel any vibration coming from the sub when you put your hand in front of it? (I've read a couple of threads where people have accidently unplugged/disconnected a component when making changes):p

H

Humberto

Enthusiast
Hi Jake

Thanks a lot for your time and attention.
I've checked out everything and it's correct.
I guess the sub (8" - 100W) isn't strong enough.

Regards.

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
if it was workin before and not now, then it cant be because the sub got too small.

you said you are missing bass that you had before? you probobly just need to turn up the sub channel. I bet the speakers you have now are just more efficient (higher sensativity level) so they play louder. Try turning the speakers down, or the sub channel up..

*edit, i just saw your new speakers, and they arent thAt efficient, so thats probobly not the problem. are you having less bass or just cant hear your sub as well? maybe your sub is pumping out the same spl, but you its just not holding its own with your new set up.

try turning it up anyway.. but i think youre going to need somethin a little bigger.

Last edited:
H

Humberto

Enthusiast
Hi Jet,

Before buying the new speakers the sub was integrated with satellite ones, so I believe it sounded louder and deeper.

Jamo speakers have more sensitivity and have a good bass too, but it looks they didn't match with the sub.

I'm trying a lot of things like increasing the sub volume and it's better now.

In fact, I think I'll need a more powered subwoofer (12" JBL).

I'm concerned with my receiver. It's working in 8 ohm and the "new speakers" are 6 ohm.

Thanks for your comments.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Humberto said:
Hi Jet,

Before buying the new speakers the sub was integrated with satellite ones, so I believe it sounded louder and deeper.

Jamo speakers have more sensitivity and have a good bass too, but it looks they didn't match with the sub.

I'm trying a lot of things like increasing the sub volume and it's better now.

In fact, I think I'll need a more powered subwoofer (12" JBL).

I'm concerned with my receiver. It's working in 8 ohm and the "new speakers" are 6 ohm.

Thanks for your comments.
The jamo speakers are overpowering a 12inch JBL subwoofer, or that pioneer?

If its the pioneer, then this is to be expected. My 8inch energy was over powered by my (old)towers.

For your reciever, just try not to crank it to hard. If its a descrete high current design, it can handle 6ohm loads, but be careful.

SheepStar

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
6 ohm speakers will work fine. if you ever experience the receiver shutting off then you know why it happened, but i dont think it will.

as for a sub, yeah youll just have to get a bigger one eventually. the 8 inch sub isnt going to go much below 40hz. so if you want your sub to do more work, you can raise your crossovers to 80 on the receiver.

whatever sounds best. you can mess with the crossovers and volume levels, but until you get a new sub, you will probobly itch for more.

H

Humberto

Enthusiast
Hi Sheep,

The jamo speakers are overpowering the pioneer sub (8 inch).
Thanks for your reply, I agree with you.

Jet,

I've achieved good results changing the subwoofer from its original place, I also increased its volume. The system sounds better than before.
But like you said I'll need a 12 inch subwoofer.
Thanks a lot.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Humberto said:
Hi Sheep,

The jamo speakers are overpowering the pioneer sub (8 inch).
Thanks for your reply, I agree with you.

Jet,

I've achieved good results changing the subwoofer from its original place, I also increased its volume. The system sounds better than before.
But like you said I'll need a 12 inch subwoofer.
Thanks a lot.
How big is the room? Where is and was the subwoofer located?

If you need more output for now, stuff it into a corner. It will loose some clarity, but it will have an easier time keeping up.

SheepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis