My review of the Outlaw 7000X

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So as I promised a fellow member my review of the Outlaw 7000X in my system.

I'm using it for the surrounds and heights in my main theater room.

Appearance build quality: these things are extremely well built like a tank. Binding posts connections are all rock solid. I love the look of the front face plate that machined mill steel kind of look. The interiors and the interior views of the 5000x Amir reviewed show a very good layout. Great build inside and out for the price:

Performance: this will be short I'm of the very firm belief that within they're limits most well designed amps are going to sound the same. The Outlaw does what I want it to perfectly. Reproduce the signal and when the knob goes up I can enjoy those higher volumes with zero distortion. Very clear very detailed very low noise floor and no harshness to the point I have to be careful on the volume knob When your system can go loud without distortion it's so enjoyable and non fatiguing to my ears I'll push it past safe limits for too long if I'm not careful

No startup thump with this amp. No speaker hiss or hum at the tweeter. Very quiet amp

Where I feel it improves my system over the Anthem pva7 I was using is in how loud I can push it with no distortion. Goes much louder and sounds much cleaner. I don't believe that's due to the power difference that's not enough to make an impact

I suspect the difference is in the Outlaw can handle lower impedance loads better. And has better dynamic range on tap then the PVA 7

The PVA 7 is in my bedroom setup and it's okay at lower volumes but especially in movies if I use an 80hz crossover it can start to get harsh on the high end. I never like to crank it too much but every now and then on movies yeah I do. 120 hz crossover sounds okay but 80hz in that room sounds the best

I never had that issue when my crowns were in the setup. Low volume high volume everything sounded very clean clear accurate.

And I don't believe I'd have the issue with the 7000x from Outlaw in that setup. But! Well know for sure when I order a Outlaw 5000x and pair it against that PVA 7 in AB testing hopefully as blind and neutral as I can make it. If I can tell a difference at higher volumes that PVA 7 is getting sold for sure

That will be down the road but it will happen.

Anyway that's my impressions and thoughts hope you enjoyed it or it was helpful

I do not believe unless you need a bigger amp for bigger rooms your going to find a better amp for the price point for 7 channels. Very well done Outlaw! Look forward to doing business with you again!

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
This is a great write up Dan

I bet that AMP could do it even for the fronts to be honest. I'd be curious if you ever connect those up to your front RBHs just for fun some time to see how they do

I really love my Outlaw 7500s but those are ATI amps. I know these are made by someone else but they look great and clearly now work great. I might need to pick one up if I ever find the right deal and try it out myself.

Any differences you noted in input gain vs other AMPs you have had? (if that's the right concept). I've found with some of my AMPs that you have to adjust levels to get to the same SPL and go from there. My Outlaws must have a very good input gain/sensitivity but other AMPs I bought must demand a higher voltage signal as I have to adjust levels up to start out at the same SPL. Of course they do the trick from there. That is the case for the D-Sonic monoblocks I picked up. They must be designed to accept a higher voltage from a Pre-Pro or something.

Anyways, sounds like you have some great equipment now and it keeps getting better which is a lot of fun!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
This is a great write up Dan

I bet that AMP could do it even for the fronts to be honest. I'd be curious if you ever connect those up to your front RBHs just for fun some time to see how they do

I really love my Outlaw 7500s but those are ATI amps. I know these are made by someone else but they look great and clearly now work great. I might need to pick one up if I ever find the right deal and try it out myself.

Any differences you noted in input gain vs other AMPs you have had? (if that's the right concept). I've found with some of my AMPs that you have to adjust levels to get to the same SPL and go from there. My Outlaws must have a very good input gain/sensitivity but other AMPs I bought must demand a higher voltage signal as I have to adjust levels up to start out at the same SPL. Of course they do the trick from there. That is the case for the D-Sonic monoblocks I picked up. They must be designed to accept a higher voltage from a Pre-Pro or something.

Anyways, sounds like you have some great equipment now and it keeps getting better which is a lot of fun!
Damn those 7500's were MSRP 1500 back in the day what a great buy for an amp of that caliber
Not really any difference in input gain they are 28db the other amp in the rack is 29 I think the adjustment if any was minimal
Thanks man Outlaw has got my attention just like RBH as go to favorite companies to buy from

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis