GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I actually do quite a bit of video encoding which is why I want an i7, plus I want to be a bit more future proofed, and I've never had any problems with all the dells I have now, or have had in the past. I don't care about overclocking, or adding a bunch of stuff internally, just more ram, and possibly a better video card at some point, as well as an second hard drive, and a second optical drive, all of which should be just fine with what I'm looking at getting, which is the Studio XPS.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
You'll want to make sure you're running 64-bit Vista with 8GB of RAM as the physical memory limit for 32-bit is 4GB.

Edit: Nevermind...looks like you got it covered :) Nice looking setup.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You'll want to make sure you're running 64-bit Vista with 8GB of RAM as the physical memory limit for 32-bit is 4GB.

Edit: Nevermind...looks like you got it covered :) Nice looking setup.
Yeah, I think Windows only recognizes 3.3 GB RAM for 32-bit OS.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, I think Windows only recognizes 3.3 GB RAM for 32-bit OS.
Yes its between 3.2 and 3.6 total system memory. So if you have 4GB of system memory and a 1GB GPU then you will only have a max of 2.6 GB of system memory available for the OS to use.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I actually do quite a bit of video encoding which is why I want an i7, plus I want to be a bit more future proofed, and I've never had any problems with all the dells I have now, or have had in the past. I don't care about overclocking, or adding a bunch of stuff internally, just more ram, and possibly a better video card at some point, as well as an second hard drive, and a second optical drive, all of which should be just fine with what I'm looking at getting, which is the Studio XPS.
Yes you will see a HUGE increase in video encoding with an I7 as encoding relies heavily on the system memory speed and width. As the I7's have trichannel memory controllers they are quite a bit faster even if they run the CPU at lower clocks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis