LINEAR AMPLIFIER FOR THE XLR INPUTS FOR FUTURE PROOFING OR MAYBE THE

ASGARD 3 IS WHERE IM LEANING
HERES SOME STILLS OF MY SET WITH
CUSTOM CABLES FROM HARTAUDIOCABLES

Attachments

johnny45

johnny45

Audioholic
my caps key gets stuck an untill a new keybourd is got its easier to leave it on
also not the best position on bourd offen gets wacked then sticks

johnny45

johnny45

Audioholic
updat to this ive
i just cranked the dail on gettin an amp for my cans ive just bought the Schiit Magnius im very happy

after seeing an reading the audiosciencereview on it

i decided to go with it instead of the monoprice balanced

original was going to start with the monoprice balanced but this is better an i save 200$

the Schiit Magnius is

part 1 of my dream stack

part 2 will be the DROP + GRACE DESIGN STANDARD DAC BALANCED

part 3 will be adding an eq either the Peavey PV 215EQ Graphic Equalizer or

the ART EQ-355 Dual 31-band Graphic Equalizer because i like physical dials and switches

more than digital the Peavey PV 215EQ

is great i use 4 in my ht setup but im leaning torwards the ART EQ-355 Dual 31-band Graphic Equalizer

for the 32band fine tuning an ther high an low trims any thoughts on this id like input from you

part 4 accessories will be some custom xlr headphone cables from
https://hartaudiocables.com
an some interconnects from proaudiola
ill post pics once it all arrives

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
Not related to price?

I understand that just because there is a high dollar value on a set of headphones doesn't necessarily mean their sound quality is good, but won't you say that in general, there is a correlation between price and sound quality?
Isn't the same true about speakers? If it is not, please, please let me know of a set of headphones in the $300 range that can compare to the sound quality of a pair of Focal Utopia headphones.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Not related to price?

I understand that just because there is a high dollar value on a set of headphones doesn't necessarily mean their sound quality is good, but won't you say that in general, there is a correlation between price and sound quality?
Isn't the same true about speakers? If it is not, please, please let me know of a set of headphones in the $300 range that can compare to the sound quality of a pair of Focal Utopia headphones.
Read the research that is linked in that article. Headphones are a minimum phase system and are not affected by the complexities or room acoustics or crossover circuits, and, to a lesser extent, are not plagued with non-linear distortion problems. So the problem of headphones is almost entirely a matter of linear distortion, i.e., frequency response. The thing is, out of the headphones measured for that research, frequency response variation was all over the map and was not correlated by cost.

The research done to study human preference of headphone sound showed that the preferred response was largely that of a neutral sound source within typical acoustic situation, much like loudspeakers. Accuracy is the most preferred sound, again. The problem is that accuracy was shown to have nothing to do with cost. The headphone market needs a serious deflation in light of this research. The thing to do is buy some headphones that have been measured to have an accurate response and just make sure they are comfortable. After that, EQ them to taste. Anything else is just burning money for no return.

I don't know about the Focal Utopia headphones, but if their engineers didn't have regard for the research in headphone sound quality, they could easily be worse than a $50 set of headphones let alone a $300 set.

johnny45

johnny45

Audioholic
well im not that knowledgeable inregards to all that to me they sound good an neutral an the accuracy to me was worth the cost an frankly 300$ is my limit for cans

my reason behind amp an eq upgrade is simple when i went from my fiio 10k little amp/dac combo an the digital eq in the pc which is what i originaly used for both my prevous set of cans the adh - 500x an my current m570

to my current combo the jds atom amp an the topping d10 dac without any pc based eq what i noticed was

better accuracy an better frequency response at high volumes an less distortion problems also at high volumes

the reason i decided to pull the trigger on the Schiit Magnius and am aiming for the DROP + GRACE DESIGN STANDARD DAC BALANCED

an exturnal eq is a high school buddy of mine had a similar setup to my intended that i pluged my newer m570 into an the better amp an eq tuning was a great difference of an experience to my current setup

tracks that i found unplesent at desent volumes an sounded distorted an not accurate compared to how they sounded in the past on other systems just dont come across the same on my current setup

so hince the upgrade to the mentioned

my friend had a little over a 1200$ stack a over 400$ per unit amd , dac , eq , etc

an while i was never going to spend that amount to great the performence that i want an had
experienced

i did get a look at the specs of his gear an found that they were nearly the same as my purposed stack
so after reading the review on the Schiit Magnius and DROP + GRACE DESIGN STANDARD DAC BALANCED

i decided to go with them a, as of now iv bought the Schiit Magnius an about to get the dac

im just tring to decide on the eq as mentioned

which would be a better addition to my stack

the Peavey PV 215EQ Graphic Equalizer or the ART EQ-355 Dual 31-band Graphic Equalizer

my budget limit for any piece of gear is 300$ on the nose with an additional 50 max to cover tax an shipping so 350 period

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis