cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
OK got a 5m rca cable and tried sub in opposite corner. No bueno. Tried tweaking polarity etc and the bass was much thinner, for lack of a better word. Plus I was able to localise the bass. It was slightly disconnected from front soundstage. Moved it back and it's great again, cohesive. Definitely a fun experiment!!! I get a great soundstage width, my favourite song to test this is "settle for nothing" by rage against the machine. Try it!

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
OK got a 5m rca cable and tried sub in opposite corner. No bueno. Tried tweaking polarity etc and the bass was much thinner, for lack of a better word. Plus I was able to localise the bass. It was slightly disconnected from front soundstage. Moved it back and it's great again, cohesive. Definitely a fun experiment!!! I get a great soundstage width, my favourite song to test this is "settle for nothing" by rage against the machine. Try it!
That's OK at least you tried. When you get your apt later this year(be hopeful) you'll have more room. In the meantime save money!

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
You could try change the subwoofer's height (careful, though, it's heavy), and even experiment with where the subwoofer is pointing (floor, ceiling, walls)

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
I'm really happy with the performance on the front wall so gonna leave it there. In a room this size I get substantial lfe effect! Appreciate all the tips!!

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I'm really happy with the performance on the front wall so gonna leave it there. In a room this size I get substantial lfe effect! Appreciate all the tips!!
That's where it matters your approval by ears and shake!

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
What is your guys opinion on ypao?? I've run it a few times but the results are always a thin sound, if that makes sense. I end up not using the ypao equaliser. Now I'm assuming it's actually accurate and taming peaks in my room response, and my ears happen to like the way the room sounds without correction. Or is the one mic position ypao found in my RXV4A a bit hit and miss?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What is your guys opinion on ypao?? I've run it a few times but the results are always a thin sound, if that makes sense. I end up not using the ypao equaliser. Now I'm assuming it's actually accurate and taming peaks in my room response, and my ears happen to like the way the room sounds without correction. Or is the one mic position ypao found in my RXV4A a bit hit and miss?
I don't have a ton of experience with YPAO. It's been a long time since I've had a Yamaha. From what I've been seeing it's hit and miss. Most folks feel that Audyssey MultEQ XT32 does a better job. It does well for me, but when I bust out the mic and take measurements there's always a little bit of additional tweaking to my bass to dial it all the way in. Audyssey does get me about 90% of the way there tho.

I guess my point in all that is I don't think either one nails it and I'd go behind and tweak both after running setup. Now in that vein, getting a calibrated mic to use with REW, like my Umik, is really helpful for uncovering issues and determining solutions. For me it was a very worthwhile investment. I was able to make some real, audible improvements once I knew what was going on with my frequency response.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I run the mic and adjust to my liking, especially bass I use a jazz cd so it won't run too hot. Just enough where music is a balance. I manually sometimes turn up the bass one notch up on my avr for movies and put back for music. I think most people do it that way. Some like the perfect adjustments that's just not me. :)

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
Yeah definitely. I'm loving the musicast app on my ph for easy adjustment of sub trim, dialouge level etc. Really easy to adjust things on the fly without diving into menus. And the "scenes" on the yamaha are a great idea. Really loving the amp so far, especially as i mainly chose it for the new aesthetic!

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah definitely. I'm loving the musicast app on my ph for easy adjustment of sub trim, dialouge level etc. Really easy to adjust things on the fly without diving into menus. And the "scenes" on the yamaha are a great idea. Really loving the amp so far, especially as i mainly chose it for the new aesthetic!
You're lucky to have the app for your sub. I adjust mine via remote on my AVR. Most of the time the bass is powerful enough for the movies. Maybe one day I can save up for a SVS again. :) I'm running two eight inch, so really 16 inch in a small living room. I'm manly alright. :p

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
Oh I only can adjust sub trim via the receiver on the musicast app. I have the PB2000, so no app support. But got it at a great price (for NZ) as the new PB2000 Pro had just been announced. It was the biggest expense of my new setup, speaker set was second hand $250 nzd, receiver was $849 nzd and $1499 nzd for the sub (retail $2299 nzd). But I've always wanted a decent sub. My previous one was a velodyne CHT-10R, which I got as a free upgrade after I cooked three cerwin vega subs. Turns out I need subs with limiters, digital or otherwise . The velodyne was great and took 10 years of hard use. It still goes to this day, albeit at my ex wife's house.

Last edited:
cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
Upgrade time!! So with the current state of shipping and prices on speakers climbing ( especially here in the middle of the damn Pacific ocean) Ive been scouring the used market. Last night a set of Wharfdale 9.5 towers, 9.1 books and 9Cs center came up. Also included the diamond SW150 sub. At $500 NZD (339 USD) I jumped on them. Excellent condition, perfect working order and a nice upgrade on the Yamahas I had. I won't use the sub , so I've sold it as a package with my old Yamahas to a work mate for $300 ✊ . So $200 for what is so far a big sonic upgrade.
IMG_20211210_205943_copy_814x1086_1.jpg

IMG_20211210_205949_copy_852x1136.jpg

IMG_20211211_074022_copy_836x1115.jpg

IMG_20211211_074126_copy_829x1105.jpg

IMG_20211211_074736_copy_1237x928.jpg

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
Definitely a little less sensitive as specs suggest, ypao have front mains about 2.5db up in level setting compared to the Yamahas. Definitely gave more headroom now! The 9.5s sound clearer, more open, and midbass punch has improved substantially. The 9cs center is much much better with dialogue, no longer slightly boxy sounding as they were on the old one . Lay your opinions on me

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
For $500 ($200 net) that's a steal! Never see deals like that in my area. The centre is the main speaker for movies so you've learned how important it is in a HT setup. I ran an older centre for a year or two until I could find the proper matching centre and it was a huge improvement.

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
Thanks! I'm absolutely wrapped with them. They seemed to review well and are definitely a better match to the svs pb2000 , filling out the midbass better. Still some tweaking to do but very happy I grabbed them. Best part is they literally 2km up the road from me

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Those look fantastic! Congrats man!

I still look through Craigslist every once in a while still but not like I used to. If you keep an eye out you can find some pretty nice stuff. Looks like you scored with those!

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
Thanks! Yeah I think it was a nice upgrade over the Yamahas , plus with my workmate buying them I'm only in for $200 on the Wharfdales ! Really do like the woven fibre cone too, and the curved cabinets. Was considering trying to integrate the little sub but without a way to measure things might be more trouble than it's worth ???? It could go directly under center in that cavity but I'm sure that will muddy things up

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis