My Game Calibration for Sharp LC46D64U (works on all 64 and 62 series)

Vagrant Pistol

Vagrant Pistol

Enthusiast
I've been gaming for 29 years and have a huge passion for games, so if what you read makes sense than try these settings. I share these with my friends who are game headz like myself and they like them a lot. 4 of them own the same set I do, the 46d64u, 1 owns the 42d64u, and the other a 46d62u.

These settings are going to be very dark in the beginning. Most gamers are custom to having bright screens, especially those that play online. *(THESE SETTINGS ARE NOT FOR YOU!*) Video games have a distinct palette of colors. Theres nothing natural looking about a video game. No matter how realistic a game can try and look, as far as character and environment models, it will always have unnatural looking colors. Your darks should be deep as should your colors.

A lot of games are made so that you only see what you are suppose to, not see everything around you. Yes I too love looking around and catching a glimpse of the environment, but your only suppose to see what is in front of you. For instance, Pop in a game like Devil May Cry 4, Condemned 2, or Halo 3. Put an area like a corridor or somewhere where this is some type of lighting on the walls (don' t put an outdoor area). Make sure if there are enemies, that you kill them. Now look around, can you see everything in the room, are there any darks at all. Keep that picture in mind. Now try my settings and you'll understand what I was trying to explain. If you have Condemned 1 or 2, expect it to be VERY DARK. This is how the game is suppose to be played. Enemies are going to jump at you from the places that they are hiding in. Your not suppose to walk into an area and see an enemy hiding in a corner or above you. Enemies are placed to jump out at you from the darkness. My settings also take into account games like, Omega 5, Ikaruga, Rez, Alien Hominid, etc. (basically the arcade games). Your reds are going to look like they are getting a big push but thats because I like reds in games and feel like they should be very deep. You'll still see details in that color. I just prefer it to be a little exaggerated for games. Just try to get use to it, and you'll learn to like it or not. Don't use the brightness adjustment in games. It will wash out the colors and tear your blacks apart. As much as you want to make it brighter, don't. I know a lot of you will say that it is too dark, just play for a week and than go back to your settings and you'll come back to these. Tweak them to your liking, but trust me, there's nothing like a good scare jumping at you when you least expect it.

Some of you may disagree, but if you try these settings you"ll understand what I was trying to accomplish and have. I would love some feed back on these setting, (Try it on multip[le games before judging it ; thanks), as I will still mess around with the CMS settings and re-post one day. ....and last but not least, if anyone has any questions, you can Aim me at vagrantpistol or PM me ..ENJOY!!!!

*one last note; By no means am I nor am I saying I'm an expert in game calibration, I just have a passion for games. This is the main reason I bought this LCD; specifically for gaming. These settings are best played in the dark, with a little light. If you are using an HDMI cable the settings will have to be changed. My receivers video inputs are not working for some reason (have to send it to service). When I get it back I'll re-post for HDMI*

The games I used for Reference are, in no particular order;

Condemned 2 (for lighting and blacks)
Gears of War (for lighting and blacks)
Halo 3 (for lighting, color, and blacks)
Stranglehold (for color, and whites))
Call of Duty 2 (for color and whites)
Crackdown (for color and whites)
Lost planet (for lighting and blacks)
Bioshock (for lighting, color, and blacks)
Devil May Cry 4 (for lighting, color, and blacks)
Omega 5 (for color)
Undertow (for color)
Heavy Weapon (for color)
Rez (for color)
Alien hominid (for color)
Mutant Storm Empire (for color and blacks)

Select Game Mode for these settings

Back light: +8
Contrast: +31
Brightness: -9
Color: +5
Tint: 0
Sharpness: -1

Digital Noise Reduction: low
Color Temp: Middle
Active Contrast: On
Fine Motion: Off (I know gamers want that 4ms refresh rate, but You don't need it, TRUST ME)
IP Setting: Off

CMS HUE
R=+3
Y=+4
G=-2
C=+5
B=0
M=-4

CMS SAT
R=+-7
Y=+2
G=-3
C=-6
B=-13
M=0

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
If you have Condemned 1 or 2, expect it to be VERY DARK. This is how the game is suppose to be played. Enemies are going to jump at you from the places that they are hiding in. Your not suppose to walk into an area and see an enemy hiding in a corner or above you. Enemies are placed to jump out at you from the darkness.
I'm not a gamer at all but I find that viewpoint (that you're not supposed to easily see the enemies) very interesting. Is it that you prefer the challenge when the enemies are not easily noticed?

If I were playing, I'd have the TV in super torch mode because I'd need all the help I could get. :)

Vagrant Pistol

Vagrant Pistol

Enthusiast
I'm not a gamer at all but I find that viewpoint (that you're not supposed to easily see the enemies) very interesting. Is it that you prefer the challenge when the enemies are not easily noticed?

If I were playing, I'd have the TV in super torch mode because I'd need all the help I could get. :)

Well yes, but also if you see an enemy thats just waiting for you in the dark and you have the TV bright, it takes away from what the game is trying to do; which is scare the hell out of you.

Djizasse

Djizasse

Senior Audioholic
I like to play Doom 3 and AvP 2 in the dark, door closed, and 5.1 sound a little loud. It's more than enough to crap myself lol

You're right in your approach to calibration, it makes the game experience more complete :)

Vagrant Pistol

Vagrant Pistol

Enthusiast
I like to play Doom 3 and AvP 2 in the dark, door closed, and 5.1 sound a little loud. It's more than enough to crap myself lol

You're right in your approach to calibration, it makes the game experience more complete :)
You know it!! Games like that in, 5.1, will make the experience THAT much better. I'm playing Condemned 2 like that and its freaking awesome. Hearing all the atmospheric noise, and not know whats an enemy or when you trip over a garbage can and scare yourself. lol! There's nothing like it!:D

Vagrant Pistol

Vagrant Pistol

Enthusiast
UDATE: I forgot to mention that settings are for 1080P component.

Vagrant Pistol

Vagrant Pistol

Enthusiast
If its took dark for some players you can bring the brightness up to about -6 or -5 and the back light to +8 or +9

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis