My first home! Help me design my sound system! (also my first post)!

I

IsaacS

Audiophyte
Hey everyone.

Nice to meet you all. I am Isaac from New Zealand. And I am very stuck and very confused about audio systems and was hoping that some kind people could give me a hand.

I have been scouring our local audio stores and sparkies showrooms etc for weeks now and basically i'm at a loss. There are just too many options for a noob like me. I just really want a system designed by some honest people. Not salesmen who just want to sell me the most expensive system.

So I hope you all here can help me out!

Here is the plan for my house.

https://mega.co.nz/#!rRdhQTKb!WhcQfV5VKWOcUajokfSfqUBwlrR9sS3cut8DatXIe3c

So at this stage I am wanting to setup a surround system in the lounge area. Preferably the smaller wall mounted speakers not the big floor standing ones as it is open plan and would not really work I think, as far as space etc goes. I had a look at one showroom that had in wall and in ceiling. I quite liked that setup but just wanted peoples opinions on in ceiling and in wall. I think it was a Sonance system?

But while the house is being built I will run some cables to the en suite and outdoor speakers also. So I guess that means I need a multi zone amp.

I also called into one place that showed me a Bose system for about $3000NZD. It sounded quite nice but reading around I have heard mixed reviews saying you could get a 1k system that is better.

I had a look at the "what to buy" section. The 2.5k 5.1 system sounds like just what I need with maybe some small changes?

Also with being in NZ we get ripped off big time here it's ridiculous I am going to try and import if it's possible. The 2.5k system that you have listed I would say would be 5-6k here!

Anyway any help I would really appreciate because hours on ebay/amazon/stores I really am at a loss what to do!

Thanks again.

Isaac

A

avengineer

Banned
Isaac,

Congratulations on your project. It's a big undertaking, but will be well worth the trouble when done.

I would suggest you look at these brands for in-wall speakers:

Boston Acoustics
Definitive Technology

In wall and in ceiling speakers fall into two basic categories: those meant for home theater use (foreground sound) and those meant for background music (sometimes called architectural sound). You'd want real home theater speakers in your 5.1 setup, but may want architectural sound speakers in other locations.

Look at Definitive and Boston for complete lines of speakers, and in particular, you need to consider what to do about subwoofers in your home theater setup. They are critically important with an in-wall system, and I always suggest at least two, for even bass coverage. Definitve makes an excellent in-wall sub product, which if you're hiding things may be your best option. All other subs are boxes on the floor, some pretty big, and almost always black and ugly.

There are many fine AVRs. I always recommend these brands: Denon and Pioneer. Onkyo offers a large feature set, but aren't generally built as well. Yamaha is also nice, but I feel the others cover the ranges most needed.

A caution on the multi-zone AVR idea: make sure you download are carefully read the manual first. Some AVRs are limited in what they can actually do for Zone 2 and 3 operation. I've gone to other solutions for distributed sound around homes.

The last thing on anyones mind is probably acoustic treatment of your HT room. In NZ, you will probably want to make your own, or have them made there. You should ask for help when you get your floor plan a bit more finalized.

Don't forget a control system. If you can't run the whole mess, it's kind of pointless.

You didn't mention picture, so let me just add that I always suggest the biggest screen possible. I've never had anyone come to me and say "Man I wish I had a smaller picture!"

I

IsaacS

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply and the great advice. Definitive looks amazing! But I really should have specified my price bracket! I have a feeling a full system with Definitive would be 6-7k NZD for just the speakers. My Budget with a receiver/amp is about 3-3.5k NZD

As far as the sub goes. being on the floor is no biggie for me, neither are wall mounted speakers. For the best sound/cost would you recommend in-wall/ceiling or wall mounted for my budget?

Again thank you for the quick reply!

Edit: what about a Definitive Technology ProCinema system?
Edit2: I work for Sharp Corporation so I have a nice big TV!

Last edited:
A

avengineer

Banned
I have no idea about shipping or import taxes, but here's one idea:

Def Tech IW-55 (3 pairs)
Def Tech SUB10 (2)
Def Tech Sub Amp (1)
Denon AVR-X3000

That's all in-wall, but no Zone 2 speakers.
Seems like that could happen for right around $3600 NZD. But then there's shipping and import. You could do less on the AVR, but I don't think I'd go much less on the speakers. Free standing subs can be had for less also.

Just an example to consider.

You can go with the ProCinema systems (there are several), and mount them on-wall, but the won't look as clean as the in-wall. I guess you'd have to make that decision as to what's important. Lots of trade-offs can be made, so you have to weight your priorities, then find product to fit the budget.

I

IsaacS

Audiophyte
Thanks Avengineer

Am I getting this right?

Amazon.com: Definitive Technology UIW55 Rectangular In-Wall Speakers (Pair, White): Electronics x3 ? $1047
Amazon.com: Definitive Technology In-Wall Sub 10/10 (Single, White): Electronics x2 $1899
Amazon.com: Definitive Technology In-Wall SubAmp 600 120v Amplifier (Single, Black): Electronics x1 $699.99
Amazon.com: Denon AVR-X3000 In-command 7.2-Channel 4K Ultra HD Networking Home Theater Receiver with AirPlay (Black): Electronics x1 $809.10

Total $4455 USD

I have only been looking on amazon as I don't know where else to look, where did you get your prices from?

I know this must be painful but I really do appreciate your help.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Revel in-walls were mentioned very positively on these forums
Also I notice you plan to place TV in the corner - this is imo very counter-intuitive, especially since you want to go with in-walls
You TV screen should be wall mounted and speakers left/right/center below the tv

Not big fan of in-ceiling surrounds, if possible try to find the ones which are angled towards "sweet spot"

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, personally, if I were installing in-walls and in-ceiling speakers, I would get Revel.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis