MuxLab's HDMI over IP Extender with PoE (Power over Ethernet) Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
MuxLab's HDMI over IP Extender makes a bold promise: to transparently deliver 1080p content 100 meters (per leg of CAT5e/6 cable) from source to destination over a gigabit network. The MuxLab kit isn't exactly inexpensive, with an MSRP of $700; however, compared with the cost of an all-business 100 foot HDMI cable (which isn't rated to deliver 1080p content at that distance), the value proposition doesn't look so bad to us. Can MuxLab deliver on their promise? What are the system's limitations? What's in the box(es)? Click to read the full review.

Read the MUXLabs HDMI over IP Extender Review

How far are you transmitting an HD Signal and what are you using? Let us know.

e-t172

e-t172

Audiophyte
Of course, since it is mathematically impossible to losslessly transport 1080p60 over standard Gigabit Ethernet, it's worth noting that this thing uses on-the-fly lossy MJPEG compression, as indicated in the datasheet. Something to keep in mind. That said it sounds pretty cool to be able to transport HDMI over an IP stack :)

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
As mentioned in the review, about 8 feet with a BJC HDMI cable :D
I think the question was how long was the Ethernet run that you were testing the MuxLab with? Do you roll out 100' just to see how it would do, or stick with just a short length of ethernet (and what class of ethernet cable is required/recommended)? Cat 6?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I think the question was how long was the Ethernet run that you were testing the MuxLab with? Do you roll out 100' just to see how it would do, or stick with just a short length of ethernet (and what class of ethernet cable is required/recommended)? Cat 6?
For the review, I just used a couple of relatively short (<10 foot) CAT5e runs and a Linksys wireless router w/ a four port gigabit switch on the rear that I had laying around. Nothing special was recommended for the test, and the only requirement for passing 1080p is a gigabit link, which implies CAT5e cable or better (mentioned in the specs). I had tossed around the idea of getting a couple long runs, but ultimately figured there wouldn't be any real need; gigabit Ethernet is well proven, and any potential problems that cropped up would be unrelated to the kit itself.

PS: Was initially just responding to the general question in the admin OP ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis